A Frame On A Jeep Wrangler - Manual (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can put an 'A' Frame on a Jeep Wrangler with manual gearbox?

Just looked on Car a Tow and they are not in their list.

Only contemplating putting the classic Mini in storage and buying something a bit more practical, useful and still a soft top.

Best regards

Chris

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bryan (Administrator),,, on here tows a big "Jeep" behind his "A" Class...

Give him a PM he will tell you all about it..:thumb:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I do tow a Jeep as Mo mentions.

It's a Jeep Commander but it has an auto box not a manual but I can't see why you couldn't tow a Wrangler...

There may be a reason of course and I'd be interested to hear it because I though you's be able to tow any manual car...I thought it was just the autos that were an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bryan,

I cannot see any reason either.

I have an 'A' frame for the Mini and thought I might be able to get the kit fitted and use that one and not bother to buy another 'A' frame.

Will have to call Tow a Car and see what they say.

As I mentioned it is only an idea at the moment.

Trouble is, I don't enjoy towing the Mini because it is a classic and very special. But I don't want to get rid of it. I have a commercial garage I use mainly for storage and could put it in there inside it's carcoon safely until I get time to use it more.

The idea of something as robust as a Wrangler with a soft top does appeal. They are sensible money to purchase as well.

Best regards

Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon they will only make the brackets for popular towed cars.

not many folks want to tow a Jeep so if there's little or no demand why design the brackets.
I'm sure they can make them as a one off though.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Bryan,

I cannot see any reason either.

I have an 'A' frame for the Mini and thought I might be able to get the kit fitted and use that one and not bother to buy another 'A' frame.

Will have to call Tow a Car and see what they say.

As I mentioned it is only an idea at the moment.

Trouble is, I don't enjoy towing the Mini because it is a classic and very special. But I don't want to get rid of it. I have a commercial garage I use mainly for storage and could put it in there inside it's carcoon safely until I get time to use it more.

The idea of something as robust as a Wrangler with a soft top does appeal. They are sensible money to purchase as well.

Best regards

Chris

It may be that they have never son a Wrangler so haven't listed it on their site because of that.

I know when I bought my a-frame (American one) the baseplate for each car is individual, so if they don't make one for your make and model then you can't use their system.

Knowing this of course didn't stop me coming slightly unstuck...

I went onto their website and checked, double-checked, triple-checked that I was ordering the right part for my car (prudent as it was quite expensive and coming all the way from the US of A)

So I selected my car from the drop down lists and only 1 part number was listed. It was the only one they did for the Jeep Commander and this car is very simple model (no changes between years, only in production for 3 years or so...) so I could believe that this was going to be fine.

I even checked on an American forum and they all agreed "Only one part number because it fits all Jeep Commanders."

So ordered said part and when it came took it to a very good friend of mine who had offered to install it for me whilst I sorted his computer.

All was going fine until he tapped on the living room window and declared "It doesn't fit! :Eeek:

Knowing him to be a joker I laughed and said, "oh yeah(?)"

But he was serious :cry:

There IS only one part for Jeep Commanders because ALL Jeep Commanders ARE the same........

...in America :Doh:

You see, THEY only have PETROL Commanders...they've never heard of a DIESEL Commander and so have never concerned themselves with the fact that on the diesel variant there is a BLOODY GREAT INTER-COOLER IN THE WAY!!!!

Luckily, as my mate is a truly gifted mechanic-ey type with a can-do attitude...lets just say he made it fit ::bigsmile::thumb:

Anyway, I guess your a-frame company will just say all is well...but I'd check if I was you :ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The idea that a 4x4 cannot be towed, is due to the fact that they cannot be suspend towed, ie front wheels off the ground. This causes the transmission to "wind up" and can cause damage. If all four wheels are on the ground, its no different to being driven, the only problem I could see,...and i,m not sure if these particular 4x4 are the same, is that a lot of 4x4 have a transmission handbrake, and it would be difficult to comply with the law if a converter wanted to use the handbrake as part of the braking.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am intrigued Brian as to how you tow your auto? is it because you can select neutral in the transfer box?I am only asking as I would like to know how you do it as you clearly do and its safe:thumb:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I am intrigued Bryan as to how you tow your auto? is it because you can select neutral in the transfer box?I am only asking as I would like to know how you do it as you clearly do and its safe:thumb:

It is designed to be towed (indeed there is a page in the handbook telling you how to set-up for towing behind a motorhome)

Basically you put the gear selector in 'Neutral', then operate a pin switch for 4 seconds (this makes a mechanical sound and is probably the transfer box being disengaged?) then after a quick check the gear selector is left in park whilst towed.

Reverse the procedure to drive it again once unhitched.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
i towed my jeep wrangler behind my rv for years all over the country ,never a problem.the handbrake is in the rear drums on a wrangler ,but i never bothered with brakes and never had a problem , but the rv must weigh in at 7.5 tons plus when loaded. if you need one i still have an Aframe for towing a wrangler(dead simple and easy to fit in seconds):thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is designed to be towed (indeed there is a page in the handbook telling you how to set-up for towing behind a motorhome)

Basically you put the gear selector in 'Neutral', then operate a pin switch for 4 seconds (this makes a mechanical sound and is probably the transfer box being disengaged?) then after a quick check the gear selector is left in park whilst towed.

Reverse the procedure to drive it again once unhitched.
And you can leave the steering lock on if you want:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(Not recomended) his excuse was
I was mearly testing your instalation-------- It past

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Seen lots of Yanks towing wranglers, and I'm sure Curries (Yank Jeep lot) even produce an a frame for lifted Wranglers.

Wranglers have a selectable T case, 2 (rear wheels) high, 4 high, neutal and 4 low, same whether manual or auto and as per Bryan, they have a section on towing as the Yanks expect some to be toad.

Same goes for the Suzuki Vitaras, section in the manual for towing, the only addition on the auto is it recommends disconnection and drive the auto about every 200 ish miles.

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for all the replies. Still contemplating what to do. Blxxdy indecisiveness get worse with age!

Buyer, I may be interested in your A frame should I go down this route. Does it have all the electrics with it and information on where to fit the cables?

What year/model Wrangler did you have?

Best regards

Chris

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I used to be indecisive, Now im not sure:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi .in answer to your questions there are no cables,all it is ,is a very simple steel a frame that attached to two brackets bolted to the front of the steel bumper on my 1994 2.5 ltr wrangler.it was fitted with 2 pins and r clips(fitted in about 30 seconds on my own). and then towed for thousands of miles without any issues/problems.no brakes/cables to mess about with,then i just hung a lighting board across the back for my lights.used it for years just like that:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The idea that a 4x4 cannot be towed, is due to the fact that they cannot be suspend towed, ie front wheels off the ground. This causes the transmission to "wind up" and can cause damage. If all four wheels are on the ground, its no different to being driven, the only problem I could see,...and i,m not sure if these particular 4x4 are the same, is that a lot of 4x4 have a transmission handbrake, and it would be difficult to comply with the law if a converter wanted to use the handbrake as part of the braking.
I know where you're coming from but it wouldnt comply in any way.
the handbrake is classed as an emergency/parking brake, not a service brake.

all service brakes must be operated by the overrun system hence the cable connection to the foot brake.

the only 'foolproof' way to tow is auto (or manual) disconnecting front hubs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back