Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello

What's the current thinking on a good AM/FM radio aerial as fitted to a MH, there appear to be many options including expensive electronic interior ones.

Usual plastic roof and alloy skin on side panels, both appear to create their own problems.

For the cab radio there is an electronic one that is attached to the screen. It's ok but not good.

In the dinette area we have another radio powered by the leisure battery, this has an aerial that is about to be removed for other reasons and can't use the same area to fit another.

Any help much appreciated

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hello

What's the current thinking on a good AM/FM radio aerial as fitted to a MH, there appear to be many options including expensive electronic interior ones.

Usual plastic roof and alloy skin on side panels, both appear to create their own problems.

For the cab radio there is an electronic one that is attached to the screen. It's ok but not good.

In the dinette area we have another radio powered by the leisure battery, this has an aerial that is about to be removed for other reasons and can't use the same area to fit another.

Any help much appreciated
Without fail the good old rubber duck on a front wing works every time:thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Thanks Geo

It's an A Class with a plastic front panel and no wings, but I guess I could run a seperate earth to the aerial base?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Geo, I am not very knowledgeable about radio frequencies and suitable aerials, and have just seen the rubber duck is a CB aerial.

Is it suitable for good AM and FM reception too?

Thanks

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Ditch the AM/FM radio and buy a DAB with a windscreen aerial. Best thing we ever did.
Crystal clear sound and loads of stations.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Ditch the AM/FM radio and buy a DAB with a windscreen aerial. Best thing we ever did.
Crystal clear sound and loads of stations.

Thanks scek, but we spend a lot of time abroad and don't use our MH in the UK hardly at all.

We are looking for local (to where ever we are) FM stations and UK AM stations when close to the UK.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
I think I heard that France operates on different dab channels to the UK.
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what the DAB reception and number of stations are in France...

The dab radio still has fm/am, but the fm connected to the crappy fiat wing mirror aerial.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ve
Your dead right rubber Duck is a CB slang term for an arial
however it has been generalised to mean also the short rubber af/fm car airials
Almost vandel proof cant be snapped off very easily, cheap as chips and not worth stealing, available at any car shop Halfrauds etc(not a spelling error)::bigsmile: works extreamly well with standard radios,
Yes make up an earth strap or small metal plate bolted to chassis and resting just inside the plastic panel of choice and mount arial through both
As with all radios
I normally say
A quality radio deserves a quality arial
A cheap radio needs one
But for the money the rubber duck does it all:thumb:
Geo

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If abroad you can increase the are where you can still receive by wrapping a couple of turns of insulated wire around the aerieal (no need to strip the insulation) and either stretch a long length of the wire to a tree or across the roof of the van. I have found that this gives that extra bit of range.
Certain European cities,especially those towards the East have FM sites for the World Service.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I think I heard that France operates on different dab channels to the UK.
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what the DAB reception and number of stations are in France...

The dab radio still has fm/am, but the fm connected to the crappy fiat wing mirror aerial.

Also suffer from the crappy fiat wing mirroe aerial and a crappy Autotrail so called media centre.
What model did you go for .did you fit it ...........what is the windscreen aerial like.....? How much etc........

thanks

barry

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
If abroad you can increase the are where you can still receive by wrapping a couple of turns of insulated wire around the aerieal (no need to strip the insulation) and either stretch a long length of the wire to a tree or across the roof of the van. I have found that this gives that extra bit of range.
Certain European cities,especially those towards the East have FM sites for the World Service.

Is this some sort of a wind up !!!!!

barry:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back