Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Is it worth me investing in a Fiammia type garage rack for our two bikes or would a couple of bungee cords do the trick? I'm guessing the rack is more convenient and prevents scratches to the bikes but the downside is the amount of space it takes up.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Is it worth me investing in a Fiammia type garage rack for our two bikes or would a couple of bungee cords do the trick? I'm guessing the rack is more convenient and prevents scratches to the bikes but the downside is the amount of space it takes up.

I have the same van as you , and found full sized bikes take up too much room so I bought two Dahon folding bikes best investment made only takes half the garage space http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/dahonjackd242011-sale.aspx?&id=14000 they are also very light , I bought one new and the other s/h on ebay .:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Yes. I decided to go the folding bike route to, which was a shame as I have a lovely light weight hybrid that I would love to have taken.

However, the folding bikes fit in the garage so easily that I prefer it far more than worrying about a bike rattling around on the back, and of course you don't need to worry about having your bikes stolen if you leave the van unattended in a service station or similar place.

I was worried that the folding bikes would be hard work to ride due to the smaller wheel size, but both my wife and I have been pleasantly surprised as to how lightweight they are, and how easy they are to ride up hill, as long as you're willing to drop to gear 1 and take it leisurely.

And building them up and folding them down takes no more than 30 seconds each, which is probably about the same time it would take to unlock bikes from a bike rack and take them down.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We remove the bike front wheels and turn the bars to store them in our garage they are quick release and takes just moments.

It takes far less space then fully assembled bikes which would otherwise have their handlebars all the way across the garage, making access difficult. It can be very frustrating not being able to reach that last crate of beer!:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back