Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The water pump in my hymer is not working (in-tank pump). Looks like the original pump. Instead of messing about I am going to replace it with an external pump. Any recommendations for a replacement pump would be greatly appreciated.

Shirl

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
replacement pump

Hi, Shirl shur flo pump about £ 50 easy fix can run dry without damage try e bay..:thumb: 20 psi should be good

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Word of caution..

The submersible pump works from the micro switch in the tap and isn't designed for the load of a Shurflo pump.. it may work initially, but will eventually burn out the tap switch(s) .. and may also blow the fuse.

The correct way to do it is to install a 12v - 10A relay in place of the submersible pump (operated by the tap micro switch) with a new 12v x 10A fused supply from the 12v distribution panel using minimum 1.5 sq mm cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Word of caution..

The submersible pump works from the micro switch in the tap and isn't designed for the load of a Shurflo pump.. it may work initially, but will eventually burn out the tap switch(s) .. and may also blow the fuse.

The correct way to do it is to install a 12v - 10A relay in place of the submersible pump (operated by the tap micro switch) with a new 12v x 10A fused supply from the 12v distribution panel using minimum 1.5 sq mm cable.

I was thinking about doing something similar and I've read this piece of advice and it doesn't make any sense to me. Why would you need to have the tap switches connected if you are switching to a constant pressure external pump?
The problem I can foresee is that the current plumbing may not be up to a constant pressure system and could leak.

Pete:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forget the tap micro-switches....just another link in the chain to go wrong.

the Fiamma and Sure-flo pumps have a built in pressure switch so just wire, via an on/off isolation switch, to the battery (with a 10amp fuse) or directly to the fuse panel.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
forget the tap micro-switches....just another link in the chain to go wrong.

the Fiamma and Sure-flo pumps have a built in pressure switch so just wire, via an on/off isolation switch, to the battery (with a 10amp fuse) or directly to the fuse panel.

Yes indeed John .. that is better and as you say less to go wrong .. :thumb:

I was cautioning against just whacking in a Surflo in place of the submersible..

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
thanks for the info...My sister's hymer has a shurflo pump with a separate on/off switch....

Shirl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back