LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Been given my nieces laptop to mend, it hasn’t worked for a while, so mugins offerd to fix it!!

It boots to the recovery cd ok, the proper set is missing but I have a set that from a very similar machine (both Toshiba satellite p4’s so it should be ok)

It does the loading of windows bit, but on reboot from hard drive it goes BSOD

Error STOP )x0000007b ( 0xf9E512640, 0xc000000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

That’s about it, I did think it might have been the hard drive, so I swopped it out with my portable drive, same problem, and the laptop drive seemed to work ok in the portable housing.

I’m guessing either board failure? But why will it work with the recovery cd and only stops on booting from window xp hard drive?

Or bios failure/corruption/virus? But I have no experience there

Seems a big shame to bin it, anybody got any suggestions?

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Been given my nieces laptop to mend, it hasn’t worked for a while, so mugins offerd to fix it!!

It boots to the recovery cd ok, the proper set is missing but I have a set that from a very similar machine (both Toshiba satellite p4’s so it should be ok)

It does the loading of windows bit, but on reboot from hard drive it goes BSOD

Error STOP )x0000007b ( 0xf9E512640, 0xc000000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

That’s about it, I did think it might have been the hard drive, so I swopped it out with my portable drive, same problem, and the laptop drive seemed to work ok in the portable housing.

I’m guessing either board failure? But why will it work with the recovery cd and only stops on booting from window xp hard drive?

Or bios failure/corruption/virus? But I have no experience there

Seems a big shame to bin it, anybody got any suggestions?

Might be the memory at fault? If it is possible try taking one memory out at a time. Don't bin it, if it won't load windows it will probably load a Linux variant.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Might be the memory at fault? If it is possible try taking one memory out at a time. Don't bin it, if it won't load windows it will probably load a Linux variant.

Im not sure thats the problem as it will work ok in load o/s mode etc and Im sure if memory was playing up it would not get that far but I could be wrong there?, all google stuff seems to piont to hardware change, but there has been none?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
could lend you my long handled 14lb universal fixing tool, usualy mends all things :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
could lend you my long handled 14lb universal fixing tool, usualy mends all things :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ah a man after my own hammer:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
You would be better off getting a win7/winxp disc and formatting then re-install...

did do that, I formatted it in my 2.5inch caddy and used an differant xp cd, it loaded the files ok, but on re boot it was the same error code. I do have acces to a win 7 setup disk I could borrow to test but i think the out come will be the same

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Have you tried clearing the BIOS?
on boot up press Del I think with toshibas could be F1
in the bios screens reset to factory default
reboot

this could however be a corrupted bios and need reflashing with the latest for that model. info on toshibsa support website

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Toshiba`s appear to have a common fault on the graphics chip and sometimes it needs reseating. Also make sure the fan is turning easiliy, To reset the BIOS take the battery out and press the on/off button for 15 seconds.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Toshiba`s appear to have a common fault on the graphics chip and sometimes it needs reseating. Also make sure the fan is turning easiliy, To reset the BIOS take the battery out and press the on/off button for 15 seconds.

any idea were the graphics chips sits on the mb?

its gettnig silly now,

Bois has been reset to default (and back again) it holds the date ok

harddrive has been out again , did a dskchk and a virus scan (wislt conected to a caddy on my desktop)

has had umtine instalations from a toshiba disk set, an xp disk, a win 7 disk

all install ok, but on reboot give the same error.

looks like I take it misterton to let somebody use it as a ramp (but AS ITS SLIM, THAT WONT WORK EITHER)

edit: is it possible to flash the bois if you cant boot the machine? Ive only done befor on a working box

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i still think the BIOS is potentially corrupt...did you download the new one and reflash?

unlikely to be the graphics chip if the screen works to install. I assume it boots from cd ok?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just taken the time to look up the error code

its the SATA hard drive controller on the motherboard either incorrectly identifying the drive or a virus/ user error has meant the settings have changed from ATA to AHCI. if updating the bios fails, it is a knackered controller, which is part of the mother board

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
i still think the BIOS is potentially corrupt...did you download the new one and reflash?

unlikely to be the graphics chip if the screen works to install. I assume it boots from cd ok?

yes it boots from cd and will install windows ok, when it re boots to hard drive that when the problem crops up,

I havnt flashed the bios as I cant boot the machine, as I understand it the machine needs to book ok befor I can flash the bois or is that not correct

all the google stuff seems to piont to new hardware being installed ? but this is not the case,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
you can flash the BIOS without windows running. From memory you put the new bios file on a cd or usb thumb drive, set the bios to boot from that and it detects the new bios and installs it

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
you can flash the BIOS without windows running. From memory you put the new bios file on a cd or usb thumb drive, set the bios to boot from that and it detects the new bios and installs it

Ive ow flashed the bios to latest one, the problems the same, my IT son-in-law thinks the disk controller on the main board has gone, so its scrap.

Anybody need it for spares, screens ok, 30gb drive, memory stick.

first to post gets it

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ive ow flashed the bios to latest one, the problems the same, my IT son-in-law thinks the disk controller on the main board has gone, so its scrap.

first to post gets it

Hi, I'd love to have a play with it, I have wanted to try running Linux from a USB drive so your laptop would be fine for that. If you are generous to send it my way then email me on Browne4573 at yahoo.co.uk and I'll arrange to pay for the postage.

If it doesn't work for me then I'll free cycle it locally.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi, I'd love to have a play with it, I have wanted to try running Linux from a USB drive so your laptop would be fine for that. If you are generous to send it my way then email me on Browne4573 at yahoo.co.uk and I'll arrange to pay for the postage.

If it doesn't work for me then I'll free cycle it locally.

its yours then, pm your mail address and Ill post it to you, no charge tomorrow...if you can get it going shove a fiver in a charity box of your chioce

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
its yours then, pm your mail address and Ill post it to you, no charge tomorrow...if you can get it going shove a fiver in a charity box of your chioce

Ooh thanks, I'm going to go and download a few versions of linux that can run from a usb stick and I'll enjoy having a tinker.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

first to post gets it

as in my previous post....the error message is the SATA hard disk controller, but it was worth trying the latest BIOS first, as it is clearly working to some extent to allow you to install windows:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Ooh thanks, I'm going to go and download a few versions of linux that can run from a usb stick and I'll enjoy having a tinker.

your welcome Ill post it in the morning:thumb:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
as in my previous post....the error message is the SATA hard disk controller, but it was worth trying the latest BIOS first, as it is clearly working to some extent to allow you to install windows:thumb:

done the flashy thing, took a while to twig I needed the non windows version but its now up to date with the lastest bois (vers 1.5) so it must be the disk controller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back