jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Has anyone else noticed lots of sites have hardstanding and say its level I do not think they own a spirit level as its ok with a caravan to be miles out from end to end but just how big a ramps do they thin k us motorhomers carry.They put in hardstanding, well gravel and its fairly level across but in the length of your motorhome its much higher than a set of ramps and when you book they tell you its perfectly level this has happened to me a few times now am I the only one?:Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
No offence,::bigsmile:, but are you sure it's not your van?

So many Euro's are 'arse' high due to the rear spring rates being high, presuambly to give some payload on the chassis.

Numerous times I've noticed Euro vans with big levels under the front wheels on pitches we're actually level, or close enough.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
on a previous van years ago, we always had issues with levelling due to the vans suspension. if you looked at the van on a flat road, you could see the issue immediately as the van sloped by 6inches. we learnt to use the slope of pitches combined with a decent pair of ramps to get it near enough. the only issue tended to be running the fridge on gas as the flame was misalligned with the chimney and heat exchanger

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
No its not the van::bigsmile: the same sites you see caravans 12 "" higher one end to the other but that works with a caravan

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On a level pitch we are a touch nose down-but it's not often we find a truly level pitch ::bigsmile:
Sometimes just turning round sorts it out,sometimes it doesn't-usually the levels are enough-I put a 1" thick plywood plank under each one to prevent sinking on very soft ground and to try and avoid the levels cracking on uneven ground.
Often-on aires when we are only stopping the night,we just put up with it-so far our fridge has been ok,as far as we know.

Mike.

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Level pitch

We always have to level our Van on most of the UK pitches (mainly use hardstanding too)
Millenco Quatro ramps are great for giving you that extra bit of hight if you need it.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
No trouble, just push buton and four hydraulic rams come down and level Motorhome. Simples. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Except when it is so far out, it lifts rear wheels off the ground, thats a no no. Then have to put a block under rear wheels, or turn around. :winky:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We nearly always have to use ramps on the front even when it looks level, I know if we park VERY slightly uphill we are then level inside, sometimes we just turn around but I like the hab door to be away from the wind as I am afraid of it slamming and breaking the stay on the door.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we booked a pitch on a sloping pub site near Masham, and that was listed as terraced but level grass.

the pitch was longways along the terracing and yes, thepitch was level....but the (differing) depth of the two ruts made it extremely difficult to level up and ended up half on/ half off the pitch

we had a caravan at the time and we could almost step out of the van (uphill side) and onto grass with no step down...until we moved over a few feet.

we wont use that site again.:Angry:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Dethleffs 'A' Class. Yup, we always try to park a bit uphill. If the pitch really is level we need to go up to about level 2 on the Fiamma Level-ups at the front.
We're going to get a pair of Milenco Quattros soon as the Fiammas are starting to crack, and the 2" wooden ramps that I made a few years ago (for if the fiammas aren't enough by themselves) are heavy and stink of creosote (still) and they're starting to crack too.
Anybody got a pair of Milenco Quattros they don't want? :thumb::Smile:

John

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No offence,::bigsmile:, but are you sure it's not your van?

So many Euro's are 'arse' high due to the rear spring rates being high, presuambly to give some payload on the chassis.

Numerous times I've noticed Euro vans with big levels under the front wheels on pitches we're actually level, or close enough.

Arse high. My arse is well low due to the weight of the conversion. Must be an age thingy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have got over this whole levelling thing. I gave my ramps to Artona about 2 years ago and now park wherever I can fit and bugger how level the pitch is... If I roll out of bed in the night I consider it a new adventure :hardhat:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It always seems to be the case that when you ask when booking a site, "Are the pitches/hardstandings level"? They will always say that they're pretty well level, until you turn up and find out that the water won't drain away properly after using the shower:Angry:
This doesn't annoy hubby, but it really annoys me, so we got a set of Millenco Quattro levellers. However, we haven't used them yet and we've had them for 6 months now.
Everytime we arrive the spirit level comes out and we see how far out it is, I know pitches are never going to be completely level, but the shower not draining away annoys me greatly. So I've found a solution, have a shower before hubby and let him clear the water away seeing as it doesn't bother him:roflmto:
I think our back end is slightly higher than our front end as well.

The Millenco Quattro levellers are very heavy, but at least we've got them if we do have a problem in the future.
Margaret:Smile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Our Rapido was nose down and we could usually park it one way or the other to be level. The Hymer seems to sit level and so we have to use the levellers more.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
as long as the fridge works
its level

maybe harder to get to the throne room though :Blush::Blush:

There's nothing worse when you think, is it me, have I had too many beers, or do I seem to be "climbing" slightly to get to the loo?:Doh:
However, if it's slightly uphill to the loo, you can make it back down the van quicker when you come out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Dethleffs 'A' Class. Yup, we always try to park a bit uphill. If the pitch really is level we need to go up to about level 2 on the Fiamma Level-ups at the front.
We're going to get a pair of Milenco Quattros soon as the Fiammas are starting to crack, and the 2" wooden ramps that I made a few years ago (for if the fiammas aren't enough by themselves) are heavy and stink of creosote (still) and they're starting to crack too.
Anybody got a pair of Milenco Quattros they don't want? :thumb::Smile:

John

I had a set of these (Millenco) and flogged them to a funster at a rally a year or so back. We never used them and they are bulky and heavy.
Like yours our back is 6" higher than the front, so on most slightly sloping pitches it's just a matter of which way you face. If it really level then could let the Airides down a bit, but I reckon if the wine stays in the glass then its level enough.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It always amazes my why folks put up with not being level.....

if your house was out of level you'd soon be selling it...or trying to :winky:

OP
OP
jhorsf

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp