Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi I'm a newbie, what kind of Sat Nav should I purchase, I have used a Tom Tom in the past, but, should I buy one that's made for Caravans and Motorhomes. They look more expensive, are they worth it.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I thought I'd need a special motorhome one so bought one--and still use 5 year old TomTom.

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
hi I'm a newbie, what kind of Sat Nav should I purchase, I have used a Tom Tom in the past, but, should I buy one that's made for Caravans and Motorhomes. They look more expensive, are they worth it.

In my opinion they are not worth it. You can download the POI for Tom tom that tell you the width, height restrictions etc.
Or buy one of these.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I use a Garmin Dezl T560, which allows you to change from motorhome to car use.

Good product, but previous sat nav was a Tom Yom which TOH preferred.

look at the Tom Tom web site, they are about to launch a similar product for around £350 - the Garmin was £329

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
Tom Tom have started selling a specific camper caravan satnav from to-day but at £399.99 best to leave it for a while it may come down once Amazon get hold of it

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've used a Tom Tom and simply be aware of road signs......:winky:

Just installed a Pioneer Appradio 2 in the machine and use Nav free satnav as an app on the iBone. Works really well, plus I now have a fully integrated phone and my entire music library sounding really good. Not to everyone's taste but I like it.

I should have got it from Eddie VanBitz when I was down there, kicking myself i didnt buy one and had to put it in myself but installation wasn't a major problem anyway.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
In my opinion they are not worth it. You can download the POI for Tom tom that tell you the width, height restrictions etc.
Or buy one of these.

Link Removed

Bought similar item of e-bay works a treat as with all sat navs you have to use a bit of common sence and plane your route before hand.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
my old tom tom almost died with a battery that would not hold a charge. I did lots of research mostly looking at features rather than bridge heights and narrow lanes.

I picked the garmin 2595 and was massively disappointed with it. Having been used to the tom tom my most regular feature was to pick a town and then head for the city centre option.

Garmin insisted on an address and offered the options up in alphabetical order. I thought I had found a solution by heading for the town hall poi only to find that the nearest town hall to bolton was 59 miles from the town centre.

Sometimes it would accept that i wanted to search near bolton, other times it insisted that I had to search close to my location. Trust me, I wasn't inept at using the thing. There had to be a bug in the software.

The one big advantage that it did have over the replacement tomtom start 25 was that it had a compass. Not only that if you wanted to find an aldi it told you which ones were in the north, south, east and west.

With tomtom you have to pick one and then look at the map to figure out that the one you picked at random is actually in the wrong direction.

downloading poi files in 0v2 format is simple enough. Getting them onto the tom tom is anything but simple. You have to know that you right click the icon in your system tray. Took me a very long time to figure this out and thanks to the various forums that eventually put me on the right track.

One small comment about copilot. It has the option "avoid tolls if possible". This seems to mean that if there is a small toll on a vital route then it picks it. A typical example would be the QE bridge over the thames. Obviously for the sake of 1.50 you would take it and pay up rather than flog yourself through London.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We bought a Snooper through the Caravan Club, easy to use, loads of info on it - we think it's brilliant

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i still use my garmin 205 i loaded it with the up to date maps and also poi it has all the camp sites i need in uk and europe and just click the button for truck that seems to be enough most people buy a new sat nav for a mh but just update your old 1 off to spain next month with it will let you know the outcome unless the sat nav sticks me in a ditch lol

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Does anyone else shout and scream at the satnav and call 'her' names or am I alone?

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I rate the Snooper 7000 very highly why.......because you can put in length width height also trailer if towing.......I have put mine to the test many times on routes I know well and it has always sent me correct......I have altered the height in the sat nav then gone on a road I know I can fit under a bridge but the height I entered would not, it constantly tried to divert me and eventually told me to stop......my motorhome has a built in sat nav and it is dangerous it will send you on roads that you don't fit down as well as other stupid things......I wouldn't be without my snooper........but as I have said many times on here don't blindly trust any sat nav you are still the driver.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back