lap top help please anyone ?? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I use my Acer aspire when away in MH but lately its playing up !

getting hot never this hot previously . Ive had back off cleaned fan etc but not helping ?

when i turn it on it takes longer than normal to come on and i get message BHO.DLL was not found re-installing the app may fix problem ? no idea ?

And another message , IE3SH app has stopped working windows can check on line for sollution. It doesnt and these messages come up every time i switch lap top on !!

The laptop shuts down on its own and doing it more frequently now ?
sometimes get a time out message first ?

Ive run clean up and a put it up on bricks lol to get air under it deleted stuff to free memory but not helped, i want to avoid reset to factory settings iff poss !
Any ideas greatly appreciated thanks.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A quick google and it looks like you had/have a virus infection.
This is possibly one of those fake virus scan ones. Where you get a pop up in a web page that looks like a proper windows dialog. You click ok and it installs itself....

If you have already cleaned it then some damage has been done. If you haven't cleaned it you need to do this asap. If you are not familiar with windows you really ought to get an professional to look at it for you.

I have cleaned these off my nephews computers manually and it's not a straight forward job..

Out of all the pages I looked through this one seems to be the most helpful if you want to have a go yourself.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
CCleaner is a very good tool for regular use in cleaning up a machine, quite apart from any cleaning of infection damage.

When sorting out the type of fake virus scan, as mentioned by Karl, in the past I've found good old Malwarebytes useful as well.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Mine also runs a bit warm, but I picked up in TK Maxx for about a tenner one of those rests with a built in fan that certainly keeps it cool.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
CCleaner is a very good tool for regular use in cleaning up a machine, quite apart from any cleaning of infection damage.

When sorting out the type of fake virus scan, as mentioned by Karl, in the past I've found good old Malwarebytes useful as well.

I was linking this to clean up after the fake virus scan had been removed.
The missing dll message appears to be a remnant of that. CCleaner will remove the links in the registery to the now deleted scanner.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Hot lappy

Once you fixed the program prob/glitx buy yourself a fan board about £17 from Amazon, make sure it's a USB fitting, never had the laptop run so cool.
Especially when you are using it abroad, ambient temps don't help and the lappy machine always runs more than a trifle warm anyway.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Nice bit of kit and such a good price.

But mega dangerous and confusing in the wrong hands. Even I winced as I let it recover 1.5GB of disk space. I'm still on line.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nice bit of kit and such a good price.

But mega dangerous and confusing in the wrong hands. Even I winced as I let it recover 1.5GB of disk space. I'm still on line.

Agreed. I am an experienced system admin and I disabled loads of options due to a lack of trust.

In the OP's case I would just use the registry cleaner as that is likely to be what is causing the error messages.

The specific options he would need to use are
Missing Shared DLL's
Obsolete Software.

Cleaning both these should clear up the errors.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In the OP's case I would just use the registry cleaner as that is likely to be what is causing the error messages.

It just found some that Uniblue ( which I paid £££ for ) had missed. And I'm still on line.

He's done a great job on screen design, widen a form and he widens the fields appropriately. Quality.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ive had experience of an acer laptop overheating... when you have sorted the software, you need to thoroughly clean the inside using compressed air. if it still runs hot, the heat sinks need to be removed cleaned and refitted using the proper thermal compound. this is obviously beyond most users, so find a good local repair shop

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks guys i down loaded and ran ccleaner but no difference noted still same probs assuming i ran it properly clean up & registry im not a pc savy user so i will get a mate to check it out for me hoping i dont mess it up trying anything i can think of in the meantime .

none the wiser but thanks for the input guys :thumb: :helptitanic:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try opening Task Manager.... press Ctrl+Alt+Del together
in tak manager look at the processes running under your name
highlight and end processes for any that are not needed and hogging system resources

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks tried that and ended all processes it would let me under my name but no different !

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
It looks like something has happened ! and so far it hasnt got as hot and not shut down yet after over 4hours continuous use where as last night it shut down a few times with time out message within about 30mins use! maybe the things you guys told me to try have helped with that plus i deleted a load of stuff i dont really need on it .

Still getting app failed to start because BHO.DLL not found and IE3SH app stopped working messages on start up though ? :cry:iff i start deleting things i think look suss but dont fully understand then as long as i dont format my hard drive will i still be able to save stuff i may not have backed up on external HD yet ?
and if i have to put back to factory settings the dics i copied onto when first used should reload it ? will i then lose all favourite feeds and history saved online toolbar etc ?

Thanks for any help i am out of my depth with the inner workings of pc`s
But i am great at a lot of other things honest !!::bigsmile:

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with Gromett, go into the tools then startup and look for any files that look out of place if any you do not recognise then disable then and reboot if this cures it then delete the file.

problem is startup programs are not just in the startup folder they can be in the registry also.

You can check this out by running msconfig as an administrator. You can edit all startup programs and services easily in here. However it can still leave stuff in the registry although it probably won't do any harm.

MarquitaGeorge

Free Member
May 11, 2012
USA
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
hopefully since 2012
a friend of mine has the same problem (but she has asus netbook)
i thought it was just because it's old, but i guess she should check and see if it's actually a virus
thanks

Broken Link Removed

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
VW transporter conversion
Exp
4 years
Two tools I always use when friends have asked me to help them out are

Spybot S&D (Free) & do full Scan
Advanced Windows Care by IOBit (Free Version) & do a Deep Clean

Both are downloadable and free

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When faced with this sort of problem, I just wipe the HD and start again. It's just not worth all the time/trouble to try and get rid of this and that little/big virus or cock up in the system.

gimxx

Free Member
Apr 4, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I tried Spybot S&D (Free) & do full Scan and Advanced Windows Care by IOBit (Free Version) & do a Deep Clean.Both works good and it's free.

Last edited:

gimxx

Free Member
Apr 4, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I tried Spybot S&D (Free) & do full Scan and Advanced Windows Care by IOBit (Free Version) & do a Deep Clean.Both works good and it's free.

I'm pretty sure that it's free ..
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back