Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We are going to Seahouses this weekend primarily for viewing and photographing the Puffins on the Farne Islands on Sunday (Staple Island AM, Inner Farne PM).

Got everthing covered from the trip to the islands, however, just a few questions in case anyone has been to Seahouses before. We are staying at Springhill Farm (http://www.springhill-farm.co.uk/) which is about 1 mile outside of Seahouses. The CC one just down the road was full and I'm not paying what I think is extortionate at Seafields LUXURY Campsite.

So, the questions;

1) The car park at Seahouses, looks like it's got a big area for large vehicles at the back. As our plans have changed and we are checking out on Sunday morning, we'll need to be able to park in Seahouses, is this car park MH friendly?

Edit: I have seen the following on Motorhomeparking.co.uk
There has been an increasing number of mobile homes noted in the last two years and there is no specific provision for them. We accommodate them in Castlegate long stay overflow, Berwick; Chare Ends, Holy Island; Bamburgh and Seahouses overflow where there is sufficient space for larger vehicles and they are currently charged as per the car rate.

2) As Saturday will be a free day, I was thinking of taking the bikes and riding to Bamburgh, is the coastal path bikeable or is it too sandy? The other half doesn't have the greatest of confidence riding her bike on a busy road.

3) Anybody got any tips for other things to do whilst we are there!

We've been wanting to see the Puffins for a while after a not so succesfull trip to Anglesey a few years back in that there wasn't too many there and they are far to far away on the cliff face to view properly, so getting the opportunity to be amongst them is great!

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Yes the car park has an area at the top which has plenty room for motorhomes but cars also park there too if busy , last time I was up that way about 7 motorhomes were parked .

Not sure about the cycle path , but there is a large car park at Bamburgh too with plenty space for large motorhomes just beside the castle .

If the tide is right a visit to Lindisfarne is well worth doing .... A word of warning the Terns on the Farne's are very aggressive and love dive bombing to peck unprotected heads so a hat is highly reccommended ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
A word of warning the Terns on the Farne's are very aggressive and love dive bombing to peck unprotected heads so a hat is highly reccommended ::bigsmile:

Ha ha, yes, I've read that in a few places, along with some cracking photos.

This is one I found on Flickr! :ROFLMAO:

Tern attack, Inner Farne by Niall Corbet, on Flickr

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
1) The car park at Seahouses, looks like it's got a big area for large vehicles at the back. As our plans have changed and we are checking out on Sunday morning, we'll need to be able to park in Seahouses, is this car park MH friendly?

Edit: I have seen the following on Motorhomeparking.co.uk

May I point out that the full statement from the (then) Berwick Council officer (who was very helpful) covers rather more, including no overnighting, and there is a copy of the specific motorhome leaflet they produced Here. The Berwick council has since been subsumed into the single Northumberland Council. It appears that there is no longer a specific leaflet published but that parking facilities haven't changed.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
the staff on the islands wear two hats.
it is possible to cycle the path, but it is mainy for walking - ride slowly.
park at the car park early as it gets full quickly.
dont take any food, just eat fish and chips every day.

its a great trip to the islands. no official toilets on the puffin island though there is one on one if you ask the right person but the small building its in is a large nesting site and if you go to the loo you also have 100 lenses trained on you. for some reason the rsbp staff dont like the public using it.
the island with the terns does have proper loo's but thats towards the end of the trip

sit at the back in one of the corners or on top of the engine compartment on the boat.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Last time there 4 years ago you could park on spare ground next to golf course. Dont know if it still there.have parked in car park.but it was very busy.ended up getting blocked in.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Craig, we are in envy of your planned puffin viewing adventure; though not particularly ornithologically minded we both love puffins. After a wonderful holiday in Beadlam (pre- motorhome days) we plan to return to the area soon - I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely.

As suggested a trip to Lindisfarne is a must, and try to get some kippers from Craster too. The whole area is great and full of interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks!

Really looking forward to this one, like yourself, we are not twitchers, but like wildlife in all forms.

The better half has always wanted to get up close to Puffins and after a (n almost) wasted trip to Anglesey a few years ago, this should be great!

Thanks for all the advice everyone of places to visit! Just hope this weather improves and holds for the weekend

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks for all your help.

What a fantastic weekend! We were lucky to get over to the the Islands due to the swell and only managed to land on Inner Farne, but we got 4 hours there, so it was great.

Weather was nice too. Springhill Farm is a fantastic little Farm site. We will be back.

Photos coming soon!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back