Siting of gas bottle/tank LPG filling valve .. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Read this news story about a man in the US who suffered horrific burns from a gas explosion while filling an RV with LPG ..

The reason for posting was to alert others to the potential danger from a lit fridge and a poorly sited LPG filling valve..

Broken Link Removed

Refillable bottles and tanks and becoming more popular... so please consider where the refill valve is sited... and if close to an ignition source ... reconsider..

The jury will be asked to determine whether the motorhome had a design defect by having a refrigerator burner and ignition directly above the tank filler valve.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
An important "heads up" Jim, thanks. But why was the fridge lit when he was filling the bottle? One of the things Dave stressed after he fitted our bottle was that the gas has to be turned off when refilling it.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
An important "heads up" Jim, thanks. But why was the fridge lit when he was filling the bottle? One of the things Dave stressed after he fitted our bottle was that the gas has to be turned off when refilling it.

I presume so Graham .. most yank fridges don't have 12v so are lit while traveling ..

I was one of the worst offenders, never turned my fridge off when refueling diesel.. however, in my defense, the diesel fill point was on the opposite side of the RV from the fridge vents ..however, still 'at risk' from others refueling petrol close by..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
An important warning and thanks for posting, but is this not why AES fridges have a time delay before switching to LPG? So that they will not switch to gas during a short break with the engine switched off. I thought it was illegal to have a gas appliance running whilst at a filling station. Not sure where this leaves the modern crop of motorhomes with Secumotion gas regulators.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I agree with Philip - our Dometic fridge has a delay on switching to gas (15 or 20 mins I think) to ensure that it does not ignite while filling up (diesel/petrol/LPG).
But I do also turn off the gas bottles when filling up with LPG.
I definitely don't want to end up fried to a crisp!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes would probably normally only be a problem on an RV as Euro vans are not designed to run on gas while travelling.

My gas filler is only about 3ft from my lower fridge vent, and although it should not be a problem because of 15min delay after stopping it's worth considering because by the time you've got the sticking cap off, fiddled about with adaptors (in foreign parts) and have got the pump authorised, and then filled, you could be just in time for the gas to have relit when you disconnect the pump. (the only time there should be any release of gas)

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Its not the gas

the problem is not with the gas bottles being turned off

the fridge, boiler, heating can all try to ignite whilst you are filling up if they are not switched off

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Siting of gas bottle/tank LPG filling valve

Not so Realleyretired ! ours is an Euro van and the gas can be used to run the heating while travelling in the Winter but we prefer not to risk it and dress warm instead. :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres no cure for stupidity

anyone that thinks its ok to have a flame burning in their motorhome whilst filling up with LPG etc is playing russian roulette with everyone around them at risk

secumotion makes it safer to have the heater on whilst driving, not whilst filling up at a petrol station. two different scenarios entirely

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
while we toured the states every time we filled the lpg i allways turned of the fridge but also i was allways asked if i had turned it of the yanks do love a good lawsuit :Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
LPG fill front near side (UK) behind wheel....petrol fill near side (UK) rear below bed window.
fridge and furnace vents on off side (UK) centre....still turn gas off though and it takes two seconds, a flick of a switch, from inside the RV

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back