Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi All,

I am looking to renew the Headlamps on my RV and have found some units in the USA that will fit.

My question is, When RV's are imported into the UK, are the headlamp units replaced with UK spec ones that dip the correct way?What are the requirements in the MOT regarding correct dipping of the lights and alignment?

I remember, years ago you used to be able to get "beam deflector" lenses for use in Europe.

Any advice will be appreciated.:Smile:

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
US spec lamps will not be suitable for over here.

If memory serves me (which it often doesn't) the lamps in your bus are a similar size and shape to those used in the old Triumph Acclaim and Honda Accord, they used to be available from Cibie.

I did have a link for a supplier but it got lost when I upgraded the PC, although I think Chris (G2EWS) managed to find some for his Itasca - I might be wrong as its going back a couple of years... :RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I need better lights on my bus.

1) they are like glow worms

2) had real job to get it through it's MOT.

Help please Lindy or is it Linda to me?:whistle:

Sorry about the love bugs

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I need better lights on my bus.

1) they are like glow worms

2) had real job to get it through it's MOT.

Help please Lindy or is it Linda to me?:whistle:

Sorry abou the love bugs

Hi John,

Are you sure you're getting the voltage to them.Charging system ok?Alternator belt.

What wattage are the headlamps?Could be a faulty earth or wiring connectors just need cleaning.

Just spent the last 2 weekends changing and remaking connectors for just that reason.

Replaced all 4 Headlamp to bulb connectors. Made one hell of a difference.

Just looked at your pic and they seem to be sealed beam units so no chance of Bulb replacement.:Sad:

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Look like the same lamps John..........I shall try and find that supplier when I get a chance.

I seem to recall the discussion took place on Facts - no idea where the thread will be now though :Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John,

Are you sure you're getting the voltage to them.Charging system ok?Alternator belt.

What wattage are the headlamps?Could be a faulty earth or wiring connectors just need cleaning.

Just spent the last 2 weekends changing and remaking connectors for just that reason.

Charging and bettery fine.

Just small and beams badly positioned need UK ones and size of motorcycle lamps on a huge vehicle:Doh::RollEyes:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
f750_1.JPG

That'll bring your 8mpg down a bit when you switch them on.

Surely they cannot be legal.:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I am hoping with the lpg my mpg will be hitting the 15 plus:winky:.

TBO my bus always is towing a car that cant help the mpg though.

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Steve, I think your headlamps are the same as mine. I got replacements from Partco,maybe old stock,but worth a try. :thumb:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Steve, I think your headlamps are the same as mine. I got replacements from Partco,maybe old stock,but worth a try. :thumb:

Martyn..Thanks I'll try to find them and give them a ring.

RR Quote "TBO my bus always is towing a car that cant help the mpg though."

John..Might be worth getting Irina in the toad and using it as a PUSHER.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
John..Might be worth getting Irina in the toad and using it as a PUSHER.:ROFLMAO:

Irina doesn't drive although i wished she would learn.

Only problem then is she'll realise just how wild I am most of the time:RollEyes::swear:

Last edited:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Steve, you can also try,Customville American, they are in Chadwell Heath,Essex.Phone No. 0208 590 1449 they are pretty good.::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Martyn.I will try them.I see we have a Partco In Lincoln.:roflmto:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I had the same problem of poor ligthing so I replaced the sealed beam units on my Allegro with the bulb type and use more powerful bulbs.

The units are quite common and my local Motor factor sourced them for me, if memory serves me right I think that they are/were a universl type of unit fitted to numerous cars/commercials.

If you take the numbers off the glass and google them I'm sure you will come up with what cars they were fitted to. I think that I just had to make a minor adjustment to fit them remove a tag from the back of the unit thats all.

Best of luck

Rgards Pat

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for the info Pat.

I've got bulb types on mine and they are extremely bright.

The reason I have to replace 2 of the 4 is because the silvering on the reflector is corroded.Not bad I guess for almost 29 years old although I doubt if they are the originals.:Doh: Bit like "triggers" broom in Only Fools.:RollEyes:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Steve

My Allegro only had single headlamps and one of these blew (sealed beam) so searched and repalaced both with bulb type I think that when I searched they were the same as some fitted to Japanese cars Mazda or Toyota I think!

But I simply took the old unit to my local helpful motor factor and they did the rest but Lucas would definitely be able to help.

LSUK - Welcome

There's a store locator on their website.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorted

Sorted.

Have sourced a supplier of GENUINE hella headlights @ £25 a piece including the sidelight.

Over the moon as the work for the MOT can now progress.:thumb:

Might just buy another 2 at a later date.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Steve, Duncan got mine, he also supplied a two short adaptor cables with male/femal plugs as he said sometimes RV's are wired different, I didn't need them and have forgotten to return them. :Blush::Blush:

Hi duncan if you read this I will try and remember at Newark. ::bigsmile:

Olley

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve, Duncan got mine, he also supplied a two short adaptor cables with male/femal plugs as he said sometimes RV's are wired different, I didn't need them and have forgotten to return them. :Blush::Blush:

Hi duncan if you read this I will try and remember at Newark. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Cheers Olley.

I'm REALLY enjoying this part of the build.Replacing Headlamp Shells/holders and adjusting screws as well and painting all bits.

A really enjoyable hobby with job satisfaction.Pity I can't do it full time as a job.:RollEyes:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Steve I agree its nice to work on them as a hobby, but fulltime? I worked on lorries/heavy plant until I was 38 and by then the magic had worn off. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back