LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Is there an easy way to export all the contacts and mail settings from Outlook 2002 to outlook 2007?

I cant find any options,

Secondly, what the easiest way of moving/copying the mail folders/diary etc..

Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Dave, there are no mail folders. Outlook stores all mail, contacts and diaries in one file called a pst files. (I know, its a pain, that file can get big and unwieldily too) This can be called anything but is probablycalled outlook.pst especially if you haven't changed anything and only have one profile. I'm sure you can import one to the other but its been a while since I was on that version. A quick look at File>import will let you know..

from memory your pst file will be C:\Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst or something similar.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've always avoided using Lookout and Lookout Distress but export/import options are normally found on the file menu. There is an article Here which seems to suggest you use the backup/restore route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would recommend having a look at Thunderbird. It will take you a few minutes to get used to it but it is worth the slight inconvenience....

.pst files are a pain the but. If they get corrupted you are knackered.

I would also recommend looking for an email provider that supports IMAP in addition to POP3. Then use IMAP, this keeps a copy of your email on the server so you can use webmail and also have a backup of your email should your computer crash. Their are more advantages to IMAP but those two are the biggest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I would recommend having a look at Thunderbird. It will take you a few minutes to get used to it but it is worth the slight inconvenience....

.pst files are a pain the but. If they get corrupted you are knackered.

I would also recommend looking for an email provider that supports IMAP in addition to POP3. Then use IMAP, this keeps a copy of your email on the server so you can use webmail and also have a backup of your email should your computer crash. Their are more advantages to IMAP but those two are the biggest.

You can keep emails on the server with POP as well, depends how everyting is configured.

Biggest issue is with POP and IMAP is the password is sent in clear text so it can be fairly easily read. If you understand stuff, make sure you do POP or IMAP via TLS/SSL. Otherwise its the first thing seen by a sniffer as email clients do tend to keep chatting.... Always handy.:Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A few years ago I lost all my work diary when we upgraded Windows.Cant recall the versions.

Just remember how Peed off I was.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You can keep emails on the server with POP as well, depends how everyting is configured.

Biggest issue is with POP and IMAP is the password is sent in clear text so it can be fairly easily read. If you understand stuff, make sure you do POP or IMAP via TLS/SSL. Otherwise its the first thing seen by a sniffer as email clients do tend to keep chatting.... Always handy.:Eeek:

Yup, But IMAP is actually designed to do this. With POP3 You have to remember to tick the box that says leave mail on the server. Also POP3 Access can mess up some webmail software and POP3 doesn't play as nicely with server side mail folders. Also POP3 clients tend to want to dump multiple accounts emails into one mail folder on the client...

This is what I do for a living and my configuration is IMAP on the server. Two laptops with Thunderbird which are automatically and separately synced and multiple folders/multiple mailboxes. When I am out and about I can access my mail either by SSH/Pine or webmail. All are kept up to date server side.

Your comments re TLS/SSL apply to both POP and IMAP though:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back