Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We had an elderly couple stay on the site last night in their new Autotrail. Well, they bought it new a short while ago, 09 plate They were very upset because after having 68 faults (!!!) on their new MH, having had some of them fixed but most not, the case went to arbitration. Now the dealer and the manufacturer both refuse to have anything more to do with them. The couple have had to fork out just under £4k so far out of their own pocket and still have to replace the overcab mattress which got soaked from a major leak. The last straw for them last night was, after having the water-pump replaced, and on their first trip since the last repairs were done, they turned on the tap to make a cuppa and flooded the van...

... and people say 'you get what you pay for' ... :Angry:

They left this morning, saying they'd like to come back later for a chinwag before cutting short their holiday and going home. They were very keen to hear about MHF so hopefully we'll be able to get them to join later :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Motorhomes, in most cases, are a once in a lifetime purchase.
That is why the industry, in the main, is so poor at quality and aftersales. If motorhomes were as regulaly purchased as cars, the bad dealers and manufacturers would soon get poor reputations and loose sales. This in turn would put pressure on the whole industry to get their act together and give us the service that the premium prices paid should assure.

Of course, there are some very good dealers and manufacturers out there too. These forums are an ideal way of showing our appreciation of these few by spreading the word and putting business their way.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We had an elderly couple stay on the site last night in their new Autotrail. Well, they bought it new a short while ago, 09 plate They were very upset because after having 68 faults (!!!) on their new MH, having had some of them fixed but most not, the case went to arbitration. Now the dealer and the manufacturer both refuse to have anything more to do with them. The couple have had to fork out just under £4k so far out of their own pocket and still have to replace the overcab mattress which got soaked from a major leak. The last straw for them last night was, after having the water-pump replaced, and on their first trip since the last repairs were done, they turned on the tap to make a cuppa and flooded the van...

They left this morning, saying they'd like to come back later for a chinwag before cutting short their holiday and going home. They were very keen to hear about MHF so hopefully we'll be able to get them to join later :thumb:

09 plate? You mean French couple coming from Ariège?
BTW ... Are things going well at Roger's?
Do you enjoy the area?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Agreed! This is their third MH. They had minor problems with the 1st two over the years, although only niggling ones, and thought that by forking out for a brand-new one they would be able to enjoy a hassle-free retirement with what will probably be their last purchase...

... makes my blood boil when I hear of these rip-off new vans, especially when I think of our own experience with the dealer we bought our current MH from - it cost 6 times less than our friend's new one and is 21 years old. Despite this the dealer went through everything on the van, mechanical & habitation-wise, until he was totally satisfied everything was 100%. Result? We've lived in her for over a year and have only had to have the handbrake adjusted once and a new drive-shaft gaiter a few weeks ago. That is service.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
09 plate? You mean French couple coming from Ariège?
BTW ... Are things going well at Roger's?
Do you enjoy the area?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Bonjour Frankie! Non, it's a UK registration - if it had been fom Ariege we'd probably still be chatting!

Everything's good at Roger's, thanks. It's a beautiful part of the country indeed. We've always liked Devon & Cornwall but always seem to have favoured the south coast. Good to have a change! :thumb:

Last edited:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012

Well Autotrail have been shamed but who was the dealer, I think forums like this one are the best place to name and shame. There is no excuse for this type of service in this day and age.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well Autotrail have been shamed but who was the dealer, I think forums like this one are the best place to name and shame. There is no excuse for this type of service in this day and age.

The couple arrived late last night and were pretty fed-up so we couldn't discuss it for too long. We'll find out later when they call by on their way home. Funnily enough we'd just been reading various threads on here about people's experiences with their new MHs when the couple turned up...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I feel sorry for them but there has got to be a lot more to this story.Why have A/T and dealer refused to help ? What have they spent 4k on ?Did they allow the dealer to fix the van or simply got it fixed and tried to claim the money back ?Too many questions -no details :winky:
terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This is typical of Autotrail.. i bought a new CI in 2008 for which Autotrail is the franchise and warranty manager in UK. i had a battle for 18 months with the MD direct to get any sort of suitable and sensible repairs effected ( the habittation door was twisted and did not seal was the main issue but there were many other basic faults). i will never ever buy any Autotrail related product ever again.
I have just purchased a new Adria Coral done a 1000 miles so far since mid Feb and pleased as punch. Autotrail missed the sale.

i feel sorry for your visitors and wish them well in resolving their problems.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
02 Plate Auto trail C I Carioca, Since March 2011, Starter Motor, Glow Plug Relay, Ignition switch, Clutch Pedal, Two rear tyres (Covered during the Warranty Period)
Then this year, Main Battery, Habitation Door Lock:cry: so compared to them I think I got away quite lightly:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
02 Plate Auto trail C I Carioca, Since March 2011, Starter Motor, Glow Plug Relay, Ignition switch, Clutch Pedal, Two rear tyres (Covered during the Warranty Period)
Then this year, Main Battery, Habitation Door Lock:cry: so compared to them I think I got away quite lightly:Sad:

None of which are down to the converters shoddy workmanship...but down to the base manufacturer.

they would still have happened if the chassis was destined for a tipper/flatbed body.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
It would be interesting to hear all the factual information regarding their purchase. I had a problem with a vehicle purchased last year, I took advice from Slobadobarob. Things may NOT go exactly how you want them to, but in my case, the situation was resolved amicanly.
Knowing the law, or having access to someone who does, not only empowers you, but is easier for the dealer, because you will not be asking for unrealistic terms fuelled by watching too much US tv.
As has been said, a motorhome is a major purchase, and in some cases is funded my life savings but on top of that, the emotional input is enormous, dealers would be well advised to take that into account when behaving badly toward customers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back