Looking to buy for first time - decisions, decisions???? (1 Viewer)

frankhdixon

Free Member
May 5, 2012
OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
DONT OWN ONE YET
Exp
I'M NEWBIE
Hello all

I am a complete newcomer and have NEVER used a motorhome but I was a keen camper when much younger

I am struggling to determine the type of motorhome I need but feel I have narrowed it down to a panel van conversion, Trigano, Mondial EL or similar.

The larger coarchbuilds scare me a little as I am concerned about getting around in cities. I am looking to use the motorhome for short breaks, sightseeing etc with overnight stops here and there rather than using a larger site for extended stays, parking in towns is therefore a real issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to buy in the next few weeks and get moving

Regards to all

Frank:Eeek:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
van conversions can be great. Go to one of the motorhome shows (there is a least one a month for the next few months) and sit in as many as you can to get a feel as to what sort of layout would suit you best. Like do you need loads of storage for sports gear, full bathroom, use it as an everyday vehicle, etc. etc.

There are compromises with all motorhomes, probably more so with van conversions, so do see as many as possible.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hi and welcome.

Hello all

I am a complete newcomer and have NEVER used a motorhome but I was a keen camper when much younger

I am struggling to determine the type of motorhome I need but feel I have narrowed it down to a panel van conversion, Trigano, Mondial EL or similar.

The larger coarchbuilds scare me a little as I am concerned about getting around in cities. I am looking to use the motorhome for short breaks, sightseeing etc with overnight stops here and there rather than using a larger site for extended stays, parking in towns is therefore a real issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to buy in the next few weeks and get moving

Regards to all

Frank:Eeek:

Being new ourselves we have finally after a long time waiting got our first motorhome
2 weeks ago and it is a coach built. What I would suggest is that you find as many motorhome shows or dealers to visit as there will be a few within striking distance of you.
There are also some dealers who will let you wander round open vehicles and get advice
from sales people. Some of these sales people have experience of the open road as it were
and could steer you in the right direction. We used to spend time at Brownhills on the A1
where we would be there for a full day and stay for a nice lunch. We also went to Dusseldorf Messe Germany several times just to get some idea of what to buy. It is a very difficult decision and although I would only look at Hymer 544s as a buy we finished up with our Indigo which we had no intention of buying before we went to Newark Motorhome show. We went into this vehicle and looked at each other and just said yes this is it.
We did consider smaller campers but just kept our options open and looked at everything
I suggest you do the same and take your time as it is an expensive buy.
Have you looked at the Wellhouse Leisure company or any of the many converters where
you can tell them what you want and they make it for you.
Good luck in your search.
Atlantisbird

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
hello and welcome
look at as many vans as you can.....sit in them ...are they comfortable and practical for you.Use your imagination and think about actually using it does it suit? Loads to choose from layout is important good luck:thumb:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
looking to buy first motorhome

::bigsmile:Hi,Welcome to our fun family,as already been said big decision,take your time,dont get it wrong,i would say that if you want a van conversion look at IH CAMPERS,KNOTTINGLEY YORKS,small family set up but outstanding quality,i have a bigger version but after two years looking we could not find anything to compare,warranty is no problem,i live near you and if you wanted to look at the finish you are very welcome,just let me know when and i can meet you,these are not cheap but the old story you get what you pay for,they do have a web site,and they are very helpful,hope this helps,regards.H

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Frank welcome to Fun, come down to Sussex and have a browse round my forecourt, got all sorts to suit, plenty of advice availabkle as well.

Peter

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Id just repeat the advice other have given go to a few dealers including JCM have a sit in them and not just for 5 mins once you find the layout you like spend an hour or so in it imagine your watching tv is it comfy make up the beds are they big enough for you and comfy.

We have a coach built and its only 6.2m long we find we can get it parked in most towns and if the carpark has a grass verge we tend to reverse the rear over that.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
hello and welcome :welcomefunster: the only advice i would offer is take yor time in choosing, we got it wrong twice !!!, it can be a costly mistake, we seem to have found "the one" now though so all's well.... take as much advice from MHF as you can, the folk on here are great and really know their stuff......... happy hunting

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Hello and welcome to Fun.

We went through the same debate a couple of years ago and actually managed to borrow a VW camper and an A class to go away in, which pretty much made our decision for us. There are lots of thing to consider and I can't recommend Jim's book highly enough it is very comprehensive. At the end of the day getting into one and trying everything is the best way, and remember you can always move on to another van if the layout you have doesn't turn out to bee quite right.:welcomefunster:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Frank, I see your in Oxfordshire so not to far from the Newbury motorhome show.::bigsmile:

Here: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Shows/The-Southern-Motorcaravan-Show/_sh4

Day visitor info: Link Removed

You will have a chance to look at many motorhomes and panel van conversions, spend a bit of time in them and try the beds and imagine living in it, I love the panel van conversions they fit so much in them, the only thing that stops me is the hight inside, I'm close the the roof.
But I might be able to live with that, if it was our only vehicle and we was touring in the right countries :winky: mainly living outside in the sunshine. :ROFLMAO:

If you go look out for our camping area with the Fun flags flying and pop over and say hello. :thumb:

Oh and :welcome: to fun, ::bigsmile: hope you find what your looking for, look at lots, it easy to buy the wrong van. :Doh:

::bigsmile: Bob and Jane.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hello and welcome. I would echo others that advise.... imagine living in the van.A common problem is thinking too small and ending up with an expensive change up.We thought size was the key and went for a sub 6m van first but soon found that we were pushed for space and that a sub 7m offered so much more and could go all the places where the first van could go.If you are worried about parking in cities park on the outskirts and walk/cycle/bus/P and R in. It's much more pleasant and you really feel you are visiting the place!
Good luck with getting the right van for you.:thumb:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Welcome to FUN, take your time looking round to make sure you buy the right one for you or like us you will soend a lot of silly money.

Also ask around to make sure you have chosen a good dealer or once again like us you will be sorry.

We now have a unit we like but the problems we had and are still having are dire and the agent did not want to know.

Please PM for any info.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Frank and welcome :thumb: Below is some text I wrote for someone else asking the same question
Hi go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Good advice you have been given here. Especially try making up the beds and lying on them. Panel van beds can be short or narrow, so check you could actually sleep in them, especially if you are more generously proportioned than they are:Smile:. Showers, if present, will not be spacious so check you can use whatever facilities are provided.
Take your time, it doesn't cost anything to find a van you haven't bought is not suitable, it costs big time if you find this out after you've bought it !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back