Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just re-started
Hi people, anyone had any bad experiences with the HGV Solutions software. Having been sat-nav'd under low bridges and up farm tracks I'm thinking of buying it for the MH?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is my contension that any and all so called HGV/large vehicle sat navs are a bit of a mystery because
1. No one has ever set up a satelite to physicly or opticly measure or check any roads or routes
2. Conclusion is any and all such software uses legal definitions of where you may go in your HGV
3 The chosen road/route is legal ie 7.5 ton permitted for example. BUT the road is still totaly unsuitable for large vehicles
4. In my opinion the same results are obtainable with a cheaper alternative by choosing fastest route and uploading bridge warning software
I dont belive they are worth the extra cost charged for such units
Doesent answer your question directly but is food for thought
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Beat me to it Geo. I must admit I get rather annoyed at sat nav manufacturers who claim that their devices are large vehicle friendly when the underlying map database simply isn't up to the job.

As you say, better to buy a cheaper device and download PoI sets from the web.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As an alternative, how about the Philip's Trucker's Atlas? Gives bridge heights, weight and width limits. Wouldn't be without mine. :Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have a snooper and set up for the RV length width height weight trailer.

I have put it to the test many times on routes I know, I have altered the height to 15' then on the route headed for a 14' bridge (which me being 13'2 I know I can get under, it kept telling me an alternative route which would have avoided the bridge then kept telling me to turn round and go no further.....it always warns of bends that may be a problem width restrictions etc........the truth is up to now (two years) it has never sent me wrong.........unlike the satnav built into the coach if I believed that it would have me in all kinds of poo.......remember though all SatNav's and computer programs can be wrong never 100% trust them.

All the best Rick

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As an alternative, how about the Philip's Trucker's Atlas? Gives bridge heights, weight and width limits. Wouldn't be without mine. :Smile:

Ah now you are talking best maps available :thumb:

All the best Rick

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I have a snooper and set up for the RV length width height weight trailer.

I have put it to the test many times on routes I know, I have altered the height to 15' then on the route headed for a 14' bridge (which me being 13'2 I know I can get under, it kept telling me an alternative route which would have avoided the bridge then kept telling me to turn round and go no further.....it always warns of bends that may be a problem width restrictions etc........the truth is up to now (two years) it has never sent me wrong.........unlike the satnav built into the coach if I believed that it would have me in all kinds of poo.......remember though all SatNav's and computer programs can be wrong never 100% trust them.

All the best Rick

Same unit that we have and again put it to the test a few times and yes always redirects but as Rick says can never be 100%. Of all the Sat navs we have had still consider the Snooper to be the best.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a snooper 7000

I have a Snooper 7000 works for me. I have set it up to take account of the extra size of my RV with the trailer and it seems to be OK... It has good bridge warnings and weight limits as well.

The bend warning on the system is good and it also has the ACSI camp sites on it, so very useful in europe.. always gets me round Rouen without any problems and does avoid the toll routes in europe, although it takes some interesting routes.. but in 2 years as not let me down.

I also have the Pioneer system which is not bad, but does not allow me to set up as a large vehicle. The old Garmin Street Pilot III is better than the Pioneer. But the Snooper still wins hands down

Bob

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Another vote for the Snooper from us, never lets us down as Bob says takes us some interesting routes, now plan the shortest routes as it has been known to take us a LONG way round.
We have the S6000 without the tv as we didnt need it.
Have used it a lot to find camp sites and ACSI all programmed into it.
Only this I cant get is the Vets for Susie but I use my smart phone for that anyway.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have the snooper 7000 and its just brilliant, I did not really need the TV but what I did need was the big screen, I have to say though we were away in my Sprinter van last week and the TV picture was spot on.

Dave

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
narrow roads and bridges that are low are usually marked before you get to them anyway.
keep your eyes on the job you should be ok. to be honest i hardly know any truckers that bother with them at all.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
:thumb:Bridges are signposted from quite a way off, narrow roads, and roads unsuitable for large vehicles have been marked on maps for years, also you have an amazing bit of software that no sat nav can compete with, its called a brain. I use tomtom, every "truckers" satnav mates have used, has proven to be kerap, the mapping is just not available, its mostly only guesswork.
There are signs that say "Unsuitable for HGV's", that does not mean you can't get down there, it just means that a local inhabitant is on the council, because that particular sign does not requite DOT approval.

Ive said it many times, a sat nav is a navigational aid, it should be used in conjunction with maps (yup, philips is the best:thumb:), no sat nav can tell you that Cheltenham at 3pm is chocker due to three schools and two colleges kicking out, it also does,nt know that the A13 is normally slaughtered if its windy, due to the bridge being closed etc etc etcd, you need your brain for that,...use a sat nav, but keep refusing the route till it sortds you one that tally's with your mapped choice, then you can rest easily...........

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Absolutely agree with Geo and Graham ..

at ÂŁ55 HGV solutions is just an expensive set of POIs.. many available free or small payment.

Having used TT with a 36ft RV all over Europe I would never trust a sat nav, trucker or otherwise, not to get me into trouble..

If you drive a large outfit then ALL routes must be checked on paper, if you don't then sooner or later you will run into trouble.. it's not a case of if, but when.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use 2 satnavs, a Snooper to avoid the unsuitable roads and a TomTom because it has the best range of POIs. The TomTom has very detailed mapping, even showing internal roads on campsites, but the Snooper has always given me the routes with the easiest roads, and always has avoided the narrow, low bridges etc where possible. There are some places where narrow roads are unavoidable unless you just decide not to go there
As previously stated though a Satnav is just an aid, you still need to have the brain functional.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use 2 satnavs, a Snooper to avoid the unsuitable roads and a TomTom because it has the best range of POIs. The TomTom has very detailed mapping, even showing internal roads on campsites, but the Snooper has always given me the routes with the easiest roads, and always has avoided the narrow, low bridges etc where possible. There are some places where narrow roads are unavoidable unless you just decide not to go there
As previously stated though a Satnav is just an aid, you still need to have the brain functional.

Just shows differences in perception - we changed from Tom Tom to Garmin because of the level of errors in Tom Tom maps :Smile:

Totally agree about a sat nav being just an aid. Any computer is only a tool. Used correctly it can help but used wrongly can be disastrous.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
This post reminded me to update my POI's, so I connected up and downloaded (free) 1) 13 ft 6" height restrictions
2) 6ft width restrictions
3) Bad spot for lorry
4) ACSI sites
5) C&CC cl's
6) laybys for overnight truck parking

The lpg, supermarket petrol, historic sites, english heritage etc etc etc...is all there, you just have to do a bit of scrolling:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back