Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well we got replacement sitters and very efficient they are too. We managed to rebook the tunnel 24 hrs later at an aditional cost of £13 so not too bad. After bumbbling around dunkerque we headed off for Brugges in Belgium. Normal for me mix up with the satnav means we failed to find anywhere to park and after driving around poointlessly for an hour or so gave up and went back to France where we could park up for the night. Set off for Lille this morning and Sue said "theres a waterfall and park on the way, not far off the road, so 6 miles later and no sign of high ground for water to fall from we stopped as cassel and thought we would at least have a look at the museum of flanders. Well satnav took us along a cobbled street that all but shook every thing in the van to bits at walking pace. I parked in a Super U did a bit of shopping and decided to walk the rest of the way. Uphillfor about a mile still cobbled streets. Arrived at the museum just as it was about to close for lunch 2hrs, and starting to rain a little so we headed back tot he van and mover on to Lille. This time with the right setup for the co ordinated we arrived eventually at the campsite. Well actually not a campsite but a carkark of about 16 acres behing a sports stadium/shop.
Well I guess it will have to do for today as I am too damn tired to go on any further. At least I have wifi for a while. Tomorrow we are off to Luxemberg ( well in that general direction) depending on how often sue mistakes springs for waterfalls and how often I type the destination in correctly, who knows could end up in Portugal or Scotland. Weather is fine with quite a bit of sun. Ah well no idea when I'll get a connecdtion again.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the report Roger...

Glad you made it away at last...

Sounds as though you are having fun in your own, special way... :thumb:

Keep the reports coming in....

JJ :Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Pleased you got away Roger :Smile:. MH parking in Bruges used to be near the railway station (though not much good to you now). Glad you've got some sun, its like December here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Roger, Glad you got away, Yes we stopped my 1st ever night at an aire at cassels, layby side of road, sloping, didn't think much of it, but village very nice cobbles and all, bit of a walk from aire. Hope weather improves for you.
Terry:Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Glad to hear you're enjoying getting lost in France! We got lost finding Tesco's in Ilfracombe :whatthe:. Found it 1st time when C. remembered your directions though!
Dogs seem quite happy with us at the moment :RollEyes:.
No complaints from the horses either, yet.
Found seeds ok...
No visitors yet!

P. & C.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Roger, Glad you got away, Yes we stopped my 1st ever night at an aire at cassels, layby side of road, sloping, didn't think much of it, but village very nice cobbles and all, bit of a walk from aire. Hope weather improves for you.
Terry:Smile:
We found the cobbles, shook the van to bits the museum was closed after me walking up the darned hill. Still managed to get some shopping at the supermarket halfway up the hill.

Pleased you got away Roger :Smile:. MH parking in Bruges used to be near the railway station (though not much good to you now). Glad you've got some sun, its like December here.
I had details of the parking by the canal however teh satnav was set in the wrong coordinate mode and we missed it. Tried another site, obviou.sly same result so went back to France
Glad to hear you're enjoying getting lost in France! We got lost finding Tesco's in Ilfracombe :whatthe:. Found it 1st time when C. remembered your directions though!
Dogs seem quite happy with us at the moment :RollEyes:.
No complaints from the horses either, yet.
Found seeds ok...
No visitors yet!

P. & C.
Hey I never got lost just could not find anyplace to park, hee hee.
Anyway back to france we went. On to Lille, and from there went into Luxembourg where we stayed at Dudelange (fuel 1.275€ litre) Could not find a tobaconist so will look later, also no wine yet as we assumed it would be cheaper in Luxembourg, but no it was not. this morning we ventured into Germany (our 4th country this trip) and are currently on a paid site :cry::cry:purportedly behind Mcdonalds but cannot find it. Still wifi only .50€ for the night so managed to get online and prove this rocket antenna actually works. The site is alongside the Mosel river. Tomorrow we are going to follow the river north to Koblenz. we are assured by Dutch neighbours that the views are stunning. Photos will follow when we get home and I have time to upload them. Food is more or less double UK prices so far. Mind you we are still on UK rations and still have a few FB pies left. We are well stocked up on the soft drink mixers that we cannot find in the UK. Language no problem so far, bad, is bad anywhere, hee hee. Might even make it into chat tonight.
Different books use different co ordinate modes with three to choose from. The decimal degrees we found to be the most inaccurate. Told us we had arrived at a canal that did not materialise for another 1/2 mile. another time sat nav to us off road along a dyke top in Belgium for several miles before announcing in the middle of nowhere that we had arrived. (same problem wrong mode, but place had the same name funnily enough. )Still after settling in for the night at a nice canal side aire in France I managed to get the tom tom sorted and not had a problem since. despite all of my books being 2008-9, hee hee. Weather is holding up well and actually tee shirt weather today. Phone works ok, and Sue is happy to have English TV every night so tech problems of last time seem sorted. Mind you after driving up that cobbled street in Cassel we are thinking about airbags to improve suspension.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Same as you we went in van up to cassels village really rattle everything in the van including my teeth. Glad weathers good for you ,keep the info coming as we haven't been outside of UK and France so interested in other countries. Take it easy . Terry:thumb:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Europe is now one big motorhome playground, differing prices but all one excellent road system and no passport issues. The Dutch nearly all speak excellent English and most other countries people have enough to get by which is more than I can say for us Brits. How I wish I had been born a polyglot. The rivers and canals everywhere team with life, wildlife, and boats, not found much decent fishing yet but we are inland and that would require lots of licences :RollEyes::RollEyes: Loads of places to launch my canoe had I been able to bring it and cycleways are everywhere. Shops strangely are divided into supermarkets that you are familar with, Lidl etc and the french SuperU /Leclerk, all others seem to hoist prices up. Baccy cheap in Belgium but cheaper still in Luxembourg. Wine/beer cheapest in France. Fuel cheapest in Luxembourg (by a lot) nearly 1.60€ a litre here in Germany, luckily we can turn back into Luxembourg after the Netherlands before coming back via Belgium so we will meander a lot, hee hee. People are friendly everywhere so wander as far as you have time for.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I never get lost, I just end up some place I don't know where I am. :cry:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I can feel Amsterdam calling you......hire a couple of bikes and have a tour round, be sure to visit Ann Franks house, and watch the little chappie in the musical boat play tunes using th church bells as a backing track:thumb:.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Roger,

Nice to hear you made it !!

Today we arrived down south in France. In Argeles sur Mer to be precize. Weather is great and we are having fun.

We always buy our tabacco at a tankstation on the motorway. Think it is the A6, but you cannot miss it, there is only one motorway from Germany to Belgium via Luxembourg :ROFLMAO:

Have fun and enjoy your trip

Paul and Ineke

p.s might be in the chat tonight as well

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Roger,

Nice to hear you made it !!

Today we arrived down south in France. In Argeles sur Mer to be precize. Weather is great and we are having fun.

We always buy our tabacco at a tankstation on the motorway. Think it is the A6, but you cannot miss it, there is only one motorway from Germany to Belgium via Luxembourg :ROFLMAO:

Have fun and enjoy your trip

Paul and Ineke

p.s might be in the chat tonight as well

Thanks Paul never thought of that, in the UK everything in the motorway service station is much more expencive. Though did note on passing that fuel price in Luxembourg did not increase.

I can feel Amsterdam calling you......hire a couple of bikes and have a tour round, be sure to visit Ann Franks house, and watch the little chappie in the musical boat play tunes using th church bells as a backing track:thumb:.
Amsterdam, not on this trip I'm afraid as we will be only breifly in the Netherlands before travelling south through Luxembourg again to refuel and get tobacco before going on to finish our current tour in Northern France. Where I have to find enough liqueuers to last me the next two years as well as beer, salami, garlic sausage etc hee hee.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We found the cobbles, shook the van to bits the museum was closed after me walking up the darned hill. Still managed to get some shopping at the supermarket halfway up the hill.

I had details of the parking by the canal however teh satnav was set in the wrong coordinate mode and we missed it. Tried another site, obviou.sly same result so went back to France

Hey I never got lost just could not find anyplace to park, hee hee.
Anyway back to france we went. On to Lille, and from there went into Luxembourg where we stayed at Dudelange (fuel 1.275€ litre) Could not find a tobaconist so will look later, also no wine yet as we assumed it would be cheaper in Luxembourg, but no it was not. this morning we ventured into Germany (our 4th country this trip) and are currently on a paid site :cry::cry:purportedly behind Mcdonalds but cannot find it. Still wifi only .50€ for the night so managed to get online and prove this rocket antenna actually works. The site is alongside the Mosel river. [HI]Tomorrow we are going to follow the river north to Koblenz.[/HI] we are assured by Dutch neighbours that the views are stunning. Photos will follow when we get home and I have time to upload them. Food is more or less double UK prices so far. Mind you we are still on UK rations and still have a few FB pies left. We are well stocked up on the soft drink mixers that we cannot find in the UK. Language no problem so far, bad, is bad anywhere, hee hee. Might even make it into chat tonight.
Different books use different co ordinate modes with three to choose from. The decimal degrees we found to be the most inaccurate. Told us we had arrived at a canal that did not materialise for another 1/2 mile. another time sat nav to us off road along a dyke top in Belgium for several miles before announcing in the middle of nowhere that we had arrived. (same problem wrong mode, but place had the same name funnily enough. )Still after settling in for the night at a nice canal side aire in France I managed to get the tom tom sorted and not had a problem since. despite all of my books being 2008-9, hee hee. Weather is holding up well and actually tee shirt weather today. Phone works ok, and Sue is happy to have English TV every night so tech problems of last time seem sorted. Mind you after driving up that cobbled street in Cassel we are thinking about airbags to improve suspension.

On your route there is a small town called Neef, right hand side of the river. There is a small museum called 'ofen and puppen' museum, yep it does read a bit odd doesn't it.
It's antique stoves and puppets, but it's the two or three of the stoves that are so special, in particular the stove in the form of a maiden standing about 2.5m high just inside the entrance.
You wont see the like of this museum anywhere in Europe, it's a lifetime's work by our long time good friend Kurt.

If you find the time to go please say hello to Kurt from Jamie and Rosie.

Thought I'd mention it as it's not the normal type of thing that you will find and he doesn't advertise too widely either, it's about 50m back from the river in the center of Neef.

Hope you have a great trip

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Glad you managed to get away Roger, you were sounding like everything was against you a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure your bus pass is no good over there so park close and have Fun.......Griff
:thumb:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Glad you got away Roger,and enjoy your trip, hope you can find some Bannana Yum Yum, I am booked for France at the latter end of June

Keep on trucking................Del::bigsmile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi roger and Sue

We are in Issoire in a beautiful municipal campsite called Camping Du Mas.::bigsmile:

We have been here since Saturday as one of our little dogs is not well :cry:and we have been to the local vet.

Sandy has sickness and diarrhoea and has no appetite. She looks like her time is almost up.:cry::cry:

I don't know how long we will be here but if you are passing nearby do call in.:Smile:::bigsmile:

Have FUN ::bigsmile:

Lesley and Alan xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back