Cost of LPG from a garage compared to bottles? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I am considering replacing a underslung tank. I can get 13Kg bottles for around £20, just wondering if therte is a simple way to calculate how that compares to gas purchased from a garage pump.

Thanks

Steve

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
AVG is about 74ppl so probably a little bit cheaper by £1 or 2 for the underslung for 25 litres
Also with the tank you don't have to man handle heavy bottles or get the spanner out.

http://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=listpricesall.php&listmonths=1
EDIT Now it seems it can be nearly 90ppl ? which makes a huge difference!!!
I got mine at 73.9 last week in Leeds

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I am considering replacing a underslung tank. I can get 13Kg bottles for around £20, just wondering if therte is a simple way to calculate how that compares to gas purchased from a garage pump.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, I cant comment on the price you get Calor bottles for but £20 for a 13kg seems very cheap to me, I donated one for the heater in the marquee that had been in my garage for many years, because we went over to refillable bottles.
Its not about cost, its about convenience of not humping bottles about, not thinking oh its nearly empty I better change it.
With a tank or refillable bottles you top up any time you wish, not only here but also in europe. :thumb:
If we can we fill up at the Calor depot at Bury St Edmunds, they use to charge 5% vat, but have stopped doing that, but filled up last weekend 66p a litre and our bottles hold 44ltrs.
And having refillable bottles for well over 5 years, I would not go back to Calor, when we over winter in Spain we take one off and fit our Spanish bottle, again for convenience because we stay on sites for a month, and its easy to change a bottle, rather than drive about looking for the few LPG places that sell gas in Spain. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
lpg tends to weigh around half a kilo per litre so a 13kg bottle is about 26 litres.
so at £1.00 per litre which it isnt it would cost £26 to fill.

as someone else posted lpg at the pumps has gone up in price but i suppose it wont be long before calor stick their prices up to compensate the only thing is with calor your not paying road duty as you are from the pumps.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know where you get Calor 13kg for £20:Eeek:. Last time I bought one it was nearly £30 from the Calor distribution place which is usually the cheapest.
I now have refillables and paid 88p a litre day before yesterday. It is cheaper elsewhere but not worth driving extra to get it, diesel is even more expensive.
I went for refillables for convenience, I think it would take a very long time to save enough to pay for the initial cost.
If you can actually get Calor at £20 for 13kg you would never recover the cost as Autogas at 88p a litre works out about £23 for 13kg.

Edit - just thought, the £30 may have been for two bottles , it was quite a while ago :doh:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve 13 kg bottles are around £20/22 each A 13 kg bottle holds 26 ltrs of gas @ 75pper ltr = £19.50 it saves a little every time you fill up :winky: but if you have smaller bottles you save a lot more :thumb:Your tank will not weigh nearly as much as 2 empty bottles so that may eat into your payload :Smile:In our van I can only fit 8 ltr bottles = £6 to fill against £13 /15 to exchange-the bigger the bottle the cheaper the gas :thumb:
terry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Our gas locker takes 2 x 13 kg bottles. The van had 2 x 6kg bottles when I bought it, which I swopped for 13 kg bottles.

I just replaced one bottle last week at our local Calor supplier, it was £19.95 for the 13 kg.

Link Removed

It used to be £17.95 last year. They will also deliver and pick up the empty for free if you so require.

Their 6kg replacement bottle is £17.95, so I also swopped my 6 kg BBQ bottle at home to a 13kg. I can also then use that as a spare for the van at any time.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
All I want to say is that if you are thinking of changing your underslung tank, I would be very interested :winky:

I have a refillable gaslow bottle. I filled it from empty yesterday, it takes 20 litres (because of 80% cut off) and it cost me £14-44 to fill up. :thumb:

I also carry a calor lite bottle for BBQ (if the sun ever returns)

And a 13kg bottle as a spare, although I rarely use it as I just keep the gaslow topped up.

What is your reason for changing?

I don't understand?

but only because I want to go the underslung route

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I just top and and use

I just top up and use... the RV's have fairly big LPG tanks fitted and at this time I tend to put in about £8 for a long weekend - Thursday to Monday.. that is running the fridge and freezer, heating, hot water. But it is so much easier to pull on to an LPG pump and fill... having said that was not pleased on the way down from Lincoln the other day I got off the M11 to go in to Birchhanger service near Stanstead airport and they had none.. takes ages to work your way round to the pumps and out again.. loads and loads of traffic lights on the roundabout.

Bob

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you can get an account with an LPG supplier, they may apply 5% VAT to your bill rather than 20% as charged by a garage. You have to declare that the LPG is used for heating and cooking, not propulsion.
I have such an account with Countrywide Farmers (they're not - countrywide that is) but are based in the west midlands and southwest. I have a 2 x 11 kg Gaslow systems and seldom have to refill anywhere other than my local depot. With the account I get an electronic key and pin number so can refill at lots of Countrywide points from Shrewsbury to Wellington in Somerset, and from west Wales to Banbury. Most are open 24/7.

Here is the link in case you live anywhere in the catchment area, but I'm sure there are other suppliers offering a similar scheme.

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk...EnergyAutogas&pgForward=businesscontentbasic#

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
What is your reason for changing?

I don't understand?

but only because I want to go the underslung route

Thanks for all the replies.

My MH was fitted with underslung tank when I purchased it, this was removed by the dealer before collection as it was `dangerous`.

There is a thread all about this, anyway turns out it was dangerous and could not be re-fitted, so as everything else is still in place, filler, pipework etc, I am considering having a new tank fitted.

As has been suggested, it may never be possible to get back the outlay based on the differnce in gas prices, so I have to decide how much I am willing to pay for the convenience.

Thanks again.

Steve

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
as someone else posted lpg at the pumps has gone up in price but i suppose it wont be long before calor stick their prices up to compensate the only thing is with calor your not paying road duty as you are from the pumps.

And also Jeanlucs answer. Calor at Bury St Edmunds and Calor at Norwich refuse to sell LPG at 5% VAT now (at least at their pump, a big tanker to your house would be different) They charge 20% and I have given up arguing. I do have the receipts though and will be contacting Customs and Excise about it. If I had an account I would lose out on a 10% discount for paying there and then, OK still a bit cheaper but not worth the hassle. The office staff there are not a cheery bunch. Jane :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I bought an 11KG cyclinder 2 weeks ago and filled with LPG in my 11KG Gaslow bottle at the same time.

Gaslow bottle was empty and a full fill cost £17.
Swap out of 11KG cycinder was £27.

£10 cheaper for Gaslow. It will repay itself reasonably quickly as I am a fulltimer. However the convenience of LPG is fantastic. I will be getting rid of the Flogas bottle and getting a second 11Kg gaslow.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bigger the bottle less you save . a 47kg bottle is cheaper than using the pumps .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lpg tends to weigh around half a kilo per litre so a 13kg bottle is about 26 litres.
so at £1.00 per litre which it isnt it would cost £26 to fill.

but you still pay more for the same total volume of gas,

bottled taxed at 5% 26ltrs around £26 (dearer yet lower taxed)

road fuel taxed at 20% 26ltrs around £20 (cheaper yet higher taxed)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
but you still pay more for the same total volume of gas,

bottled taxed at 5% 26ltrs around £26 (dearer yet lower taxed)

road fuel taxed at 20% 26ltrs around £20 (cheaper yet higher taxed)

I pay £19.95 for a 13kg bottle refill, so approx the same....

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
whilst i have been static in the van i have been using 13kg calor bottles and the exchange i have been paying is £25.50
the real rip off is the 6kg calor lite at £21.00

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You're lucky Callum. That's the official Calor price for 6kg with 13kg about £6 more.

I have used TGS Graham, as they are just a mile down the road. They are official Calor suppliers so i thought this was a "normal" price, last time I paid £17.95 for 13kg. I didn't realise they are apparently very competitive. As I mentioned earlier, they will also deliver for free, so you don't even need to need take the bottle out of the locker, just disconnect it...:thumb:

6kg = £17.95
13kg = £19.95
19kg is £25.95 and
47kg is £49.95.

Link Removed

Just hope it stays that way......:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have used TGS Graham, as they are just a mile down the road. They are official Calor suppliers so i thought this was a "normal" price, last time I paid £17.95 for 13kg. I didn't realise they are apparently very competitive. As I mentioned earlier, they will also deliver for free, so you don't even need to need take the bottle out of the locker, just disconnect it...:thumb:

6kg = £17.95
13kg = £19.95
19kg is £25.95 and
47kg is £49.95.

Link Removed

Just hope it stays that way......:thumb:
Try the small 3.8 kg that I am on about £14/15 no wonder I have a refill adapter ::bigsmile:-the 47 kg works out at about 50p per ltr :winky:
terry

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I Paid £28.07 to fill up the other week, but being a wally I didn't get a receipt with the amount of gas so I don't know how much and can't remember the price :Doh:

So that's not a lot of help really, I think it works out OK and it is a lot less hassle.

One thing that did concern me though, I have been told that you can't go through Eurotunnel with a tank!

Now I read somewhere that this is not the case but you gave to be able to fully disconnect the tank, or something like that. Any advice on this?

Ta
Drew:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
LPG powered vehicles cannot
Domestic LPG is ok if turned off

At the booking stage you'll be asked if the vehicle is lpg powered which it isn't
At check in they may check that your gas is turned off.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
LPG powered vehicles cannot
Domestic LPG is ok if turned off

At the booking stage you'll be asked if the vehicle is lpg powered which it isn't
At check in they may check that your gas is turned off.

I do seem to remember reading somewhere about a maximum of 48ltrs can be carried in a tank-might be worth checking that.

mike.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
And also Jeanlucs answer. Calor at Bury St Edmunds and Calor at Norwich refuse to sell LPG at 5% VAT now (at least at their pump, a big tanker to your house would be different) They charge 20% and I have given up arguing. I do have the receipts though and will be contacting Customs and Excise about it. If I had an account I would lose out on a 10% discount for paying there and then, OK still a bit cheaper but not worth the hassle. The office staff there are not a cheery bunch. Jane :)

Not all Calor Centres are owned by Calor Gas Ltd. Most of the outlets are just agents even though they look to be main depots. There is one ot two Calor main depot in each region. In our area these are Teesside (Port Clarence) and Carlisle. That is for the North East area.

However the Accounts Manager at Port Clarence advised me to ask at any of their agent for the suply to be at Domestic rate.

You can get LPG from Calor Gas Ltd owned depots at 5%VAT but it is up to the others to change their accounting system to cater for the domestic rate.

LPG ised for heating and refigeration in a vehicle if carried in a separate tank from that used for propulsion is not suposed to be charged with Excise Road Duty. VAT Public Notice 76 covers this.

I have been in communication with the VAT enquires office regarding the road duty as this should not be applied either.

The fact that it is to be used for domestic heating and refrigeration should mean it is supplied at 5%VAT.

The duty is due when gas is sent out from the premises of the producer or dealer for use as fuel in a road vehicle, set aside for use as road fuel or taken into the fuel supply of a road vehicle. ‘Set aside’ takes place when it is decided that the gas is to be used as a motor fuel - for example when it is put into a vessel marked to show that its contents are intended for use as road fuel.

It is this set aside where the duty is paid as soon as it is delivered to the suppliers tank and not at point of sale that makes it curently imposible for them to remove the duty at point of sale.

Domestic users of Duty paid Bio Diesel are able to reclain the excise duty that has been paid on it from a VAT office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Boaters do not pay the excise duty on red diesel used for domestic purposes.

I have written to HMRC requesting that we users of LPG for domestic purposes should also be included in these schemes to establish a level playing field for all domestic users.

If you also use LPG for domestic purposes contact the address below with the reference.
Mr Robert White
HM Revenue & Customs
Customs, International Trade & Excise Enquiries,
Crowhill Court
Tailyour Road
PLYMOUTH
PL6 5BZ

Reference: IT12-77299

We may just manage to get domestic LPG excise duty free.

John

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Thanks John that's very useful. :thumb:

If we all get in touch then we might make a difference. Would you say a general letter explaining that we use or gas for domestic purposes in our motorhomes? Any advise on the wording?

Ta Drew

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Not all Calor Centres are owned by Calor Gas Ltd. Most of the outlets are just agents even though they look to be main depots. There is one ot two Calor main depot in each region. In our area these are Teesside (Port Clarence) and Carlisle. That is for the North East area.

However the Accounts Manager at Port Clarence advised me to ask at any of their agent for the suply to be at Domestic rate.

Hi John, thanks for that, I do believe that the depot at Bury St Edmunds is a main Calor depot. I was managing to buy it at the 5% rate and then it appears they got a new manager. I first encountered him at the Norwich (smaller) place. I ended up paying 20% because he was having none of it. When I twice topped up at Bury last week, I tried the first time to pay 5% (the security guard always writes domestic on the ticket and says you get it cheaper) but got the answer , when I went to pay, of "It is illegal for us to sell it at 5% VAT" I had had this conversation before and countered with "It is illegal to charge me 20% on it". Anyway, the manager was called and it was the bloke from Norwich....... The second time, after Peterborough, I did not have the energy to even attempt to argue, just asked for a VAT receipt :Doh: Jane

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
We may just manage to get domestic LPG excise duty free.

John
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation John.

Isn't it the case, though, that the 5% rate on domestic LPG is simply in line with the rate on other fuels for domestic use? Thus little scope for zero rating?

The main problem we've found with non-forecourt depots is lack of them. Calor at Port Clarence is a 12 mile round trip for us (9 miles plus tolls if you go through Middlesbrough town centre and over the Transporter Bridge (if it is working) whereas the closest forecourt garage is a 6 mile round trip so use only half the diesel.

As posted elsewhere, I've started making a note of places we've seen on our travels which will often be convenient to call at as we pass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back