Old Fashioned But I Find It Brilliant... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Morning all... A sunny start but clouds in the sky and some rain forecast...

...as the van warmed up I could take advantage of the "stable door" feature on the old girl and open the top half to let more sunshine and fresh air in...

There is a social advantage too because it means passers by can see you haven't closed yourself off to the world but you are not "saying" walk right in either...

What old fashioned features do you people with Fancy Dan vans miss?

JJ

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
And another plus for a stable door JJ...

You can walk around "Naked" from the waste down without offending anybody... :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

You can walk around "Naked" from the waste down without offending anybody... :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mo, it is not the bottom half of JJ that offends mate.. its the top bit that tends to scare !!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

You can walk around [HI]"Naked" from the waste down [/HI]without offending anybody... :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Depends; if you've got carpet or not.............carpet burns thou knows....:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what you need on a chilly evening is gas lights .wouldnt be with out mine .heat ,light and mozzies dont like them. another old fashioned idea thats almost disapeared .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I haven't got a stable door on this van, nor on my previous two, but both vans before that had them and I liked them.

Note to self.......Find Jig saw and modify current hab door in case Old Mo ever [STRIKE]invades[/STRIKE] visits.
:roflmto:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
what you need on a chilly evening is gas lights .wouldnt be with out mine .heat ,light and mozzies dont like them. another old fashioned idea thats almost disapeared .

I agree... gas lights rool... got one fitted in the Wagon and another one to fit in due course... (thanks to Cheyne)...

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also like the stable door, our caravan has one.. wish it had a gas light .. love them, also catalytic heaters ..

Foot operated water pumps also juice free, but not so handy when having a shower and swmbo has to pump :roflmto:

use no leccy with these.. ideal for off site camping :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A pole.

In case we give a lift to a pole dancer who needs to keep in practise.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
any one having trouble getting mantles john heeney on 01904 655596 is your man . tell him alan in cornwall gave you this number . great chap. i try and fit them in all the trucks for mates . look on ebay they do come up . also caravan breakers. wouldnt be with out mine.
i also like catalytic heaters . use a thermex myself .
another one is instantaneous water heaters great bits of kit. i know a man with a few, hee hee .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

...as the van warmed up I could take advantage of the "stable door" feature on the old girl and open the top half to let more sunshine and fresh air in...

There is a social advantage too because it means passers by can see you haven't closed yourself off to the world but you are not "saying" walk right in either...

What old fashioned features do you people with Fancy Dan vans miss?JJ

[FONT=&quot]Did you point at this fine piece of equipment during a walk around the stock room.:winky:

[/FONT]

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

What old fashioned features do you people with Fancy Dan vans miss?

JJ

Ours isn't a stable door , but the large oval window in the door opens . See avatar pic .
Its handy when people knock , we can just open the window instead of all the door.
Keeps the heat in better in winter too.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ah... Gas mantles... over 12 years ago in the UK, they cost £2 each and people used to spray them with hair spray when moving the van to stop them "breaking" when on the road...

In Portugal... some areas are delightfully "behind the times" and most small towns have many little hardware stores where the owner serves you and you can buy nails by weight...

...In one such shop I found some gas mantles for those portable gas lanterns... I reckoned I could modify them for my Wagon gaslight and, after testing this theory, I returned and bought a box full at 30p each... not only were they much more affordable but they turned out to be much stronger too and twelve years later I still haven't used them all up...

JJ :Cool:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Stable doors should be kept bolted:ROFLMAO: or have I got it wrong again:Doh:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
would it be legal for me to tow a coal wagon on an A frame for my solid fuel heating and steam powered tv ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes coal wagon with aframe is ok .lots do carry coal and wood to burn in multi fuel stoves in their campers . not so sure on the steam tv it mists the screens .
but its like a genny .a nice lister working by the side of a camper is far more nicer than a modern gennie. duu duupow ,duu duupow. lots use them down herer at steam rally,s and charge batteries etc . long live these old pieces of history. every weekend in cornwall you can go omewhere and see it all happening .
thats in summer if they havent gone fishing .
in winter they dont go out they stay home f--
must get a little hand on this watch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back