Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a fantastic, sunny long weekend in Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae. For anyone who doesn't know it, it's a small island just 10 minutes by ferry from Largs which is 30 miles west of Glasgow. Had no luck finding out about sites on the internet and ended up phoning Millport Holiday park who told us they had a few touring pitches. Had the place to ourselves and wonderful views across the islands. The site was a bit expensive for the facilities (£20 night with ehu) and the crossing for MH and 2 people was £38 return but it was worth every penny. Great for easy cycling (10 miles right round the island with views across the western isles) and a fantastic golf course. Several deserted beaches and a wee seaside town that has some cafes and ice cream shops with not much else. We loved it. ::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Really glad you enjoyed your stay on the pretty little isle of Cumbrae:thumb:
We lived in Largs for a few years and my eldest son was born nearby, I used to walk with him in his pram out onto the pier and watch the ferries going back and forth to the Cumbrae slip in all weathers..........oh happy days!

Bill and I went back up for a visit recently and stayed at the CL on the outskirts of Largs a few weeks back (Whittlieburn Farm). My son is now almost 28 and he proposed to his girlfriend whilst on the Cumbrae last year:Smile:

We hired bikes from Mapes in the town and cycled round the island, the last time we went there as a family my daughter and I walked our dog half way round, whilst OH and son went on the bikes. We all have happy memories of Millport, it's a little gem on the Clyde, but don't tell too many people about it, we should keep it to ourselves:winky:
Glad you enjoyed it, plus the great weather we've had up here recently has been a real bonus:thumb:
Margaret:Smile:

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Cumbrae

Hi Mags,
There used to be a small caravan park on Cumbrae on the opposite side of the island from the ferry, it had about 20 statics on it and room for 10 tuggers/M/Hs. Is that where you stayed, I remember the house had large pillars on either side of the main door, which was in fact a B&B, quite grand actually.
I remember it as I wanted to buy it many years ago ( wish I had now)::cry:
Just wondered if it was still there
JG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mags,
There used to be a small caravan park on Cumbrae on the opposite side of the island from the ferry, it had about 20 statics on it and room for 10 tuggers/M/Hs. Is that where you stayed, I remember the house had large pillars on either side of the main door, which was in fact a B&B, quite grand actually.
I remember it as I wanted to buy it many years ago ( wish I had now)::cry:
Just wondered if it was still there
JG

That one no longer takes tourers - it's completely full of statics but it is still there. I emailed them and asked if they could find us a corner but no room at all. We cycled by and saw what they meant. The one we were on is up towards the golf course and it's very sheltered. We were so taken with the place that we came back wanting to live there. :Smile:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We all have happy memories of Millport, it's a little gem on the Clyde, but don't tell too many people about it, we should keep it to ourselves:winky:

I know what you mean about not telling people. I write the occasional article for MH magazines and am torn between writing the article and making a few bob or keeping quiet in case of an influx, however, on balance, the businesses on Millport need a boost. The downturn has hit hard there. :Sad:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We all have happy memories of Millport, it's a little gem on the Clyde, but don't tell too many people about it, we should keep it to ourselves:winky:

I know what you mean about not telling people. I write the occasional article for MH magazines and am torn between writing the article and making a few bob or keeping quiet in case of an influx, however, on balance, the businesses on Millport need a boost. The downturn has hit hard there. :Sad:

I think the majority of people from Glasgow and those from the west of Scotland will always think fondly of Millport. But all businesses these days are experiencing a downturn, one comment that a lot of visitors make is the high cost of the ferry across considering the short hop over.
Maybe Cal Mac should take this into account every time they consider hiking the fares up:Sad:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Glad that you had a great time, it sounds like a great place to go with the dogs as not too busy.

Kath & Howie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Spent many a happy day at Millport both as a child and adult .. but I think a day visit is plenty.. not a lot to see after a few hours..

Our last visit was two years ago, I went to find the grave of a relation, an 18yo girl called Isobel who died at the Millport cottage hospital in 1916 ..

A rather sad story.. she worked as a servant in Paisley from age 14. At 16 she had an illegitimate child that she murdered just after birth. She was jailed in Glasgow.. when she left she had TB and was sent to Millport to recover.. sadly she never did..

I never found the grave, apparently not marked as she died a pauper.. :Sad: Nor did I ever find out who paid for her treatment at the hospital.. the records were destroyed..

Anyways, enough of my rambling .. here is a not so happy picture of Chaz on the famous crocodile rock .. :roflmto:

DSC_6317.JPG

and the church graveyard I searched..

DSC_6314.JPG

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Glad you enjoyed it Cumbrae is a lovely place which i have been visiting since childhood when my Gran used to take me and my brother for a day out from Glasgow. It was a long day getting there and back but loved the place and have taken my daughter there many times, we normally hire a tandem so she can sit with her feet up :ROFLMAO:.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Anyone know of any good wildcamping spots? I am hoping to surprise my mum and take her over for the huge country western weekend.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If you turn right when you get off the ferry you will find yourself on the uninhabited side of the island. There are two or three good parking places by the sea where motorhomes park up. We found at least two that were suitable just on the side of the road by little beaches. They do fill up on busy days though. Otherwise there are 5 pitches at the caravan site on Golf Course Road. You would need to book in advance.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Mags, no chance for the campsite as this event is HUGE for line dancers and country western lovers. The whole main area is taken over. I have cycled around the island many times ...but in my camping teen days:) Will try your suggestion. Thankyou.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Spent a happy week when I was 17 at the marine biological station studying red and green algae (seaweed I believe) with an eccentric (but super) guy called professor Clokie. In those days the Clyde was full of fish, and I watched a man fishing with a handline on the pier, dropping his baited hook down between the gaps in the wooden planks. Each time he caught a fish he would haul it up and yank on the line till the fish was dislodged from the hook, as they wouldn't fit through the gaps. Never did see the point in that......

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
.Each time he caught a fish he would haul it up and yank on the line till the fish was dislodged from the hook, as they wouldn't fit through the gaps. Never did see the point in that......
I went fishing with my partner a few months ago and was gutted to learn I had to throw my catch back in...Like you, whats the point in catching them, especially if you have to pay for the privilege.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back