Water tank, best way to keep water clean? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We last used a camper in anger about 7 or 8 years ago. Back then we would fill up with water and pop a purifier tablet into the tank.

What is the current thinking on keeping drinking water usable, is it still tablets?

If so is one type better than another?

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yep !!! that will do it.

once a year empty it out and use a solution of Milton fluid...the baby bottle steriliser.

draw water through the taps and leave a couple of hours, drain and flush through.

or just buy a decent water filter.

Link Removed

you can drink ditch water once passed though these filters :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi having worked for the water authority i asked all these questions to the scientists i met. there view was if you fill with chlorinated tap water leave it for a day or so .drain and refill .thats it . try to keep with tap water thats treated . . if you do use untreated water you can add tablets . etc .even iodine works but tastes . i fill all over the place when away . still drink it . boil water if suspect. i do have a birkenfeld system made by doulton in the trailer but only use it if river water etc as been put in the tank. or someone as a dickie stomach. i would drain and fill with treated water at the earliest oportunity.
also have small hand pump filters if out on trips and run out of water we are carrying in rucksacks .
but again .drop silver into your water billie and that helps . silver is the greatest purifier of all.
water authorities now use a aluminium sulphate based activator in purifying water. i,m sure you all know about camelford down here .
no i wasnt the driver but have removed the sludge waste from that depot.
the doulton filter i use as a silver inlay to purify the water as well as a ceramic washable filter ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
In days of old when I went camping, a silver sixpence in the water can kept it fresh. That was a tip from my old Dad from his days in the Army. If I didn't think I'd lose them when I flushed the tank I'd put a handful of sixpences down the filler tube now.

Bryan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats why cowboys shake their water containers . some would have a silver dollar in them some not . dont drink out of the ones without.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
yep !!! that will do it.

once a year empty it out and use a solution of Milton fluid...the baby bottle steriliser.

draw water through the taps and leave a couple of hours, drain and flush through.

or just buy a decent water filter.

Link Removed

you can drink ditch water once passed though these filters :thumb:

We /I use bleach (Milton is a mild bleach )pour half a mug full into tank fill with water -purge through taps shower loo etc leave for an hour or two then flush out with fresh water a couple of times :thumb:Or you could spend money on Puraclean tabs etc :winky:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but how much are silver joe,ys they should be half that price ,ha ha.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
In days of old when I went camping, a silver sixpence in the water can kept it fresh. That was a tip from my old Dad from his days in the Army. If I didn't think I'd lose them when I flushed the tank I'd put a handful of sixpences down the filler tube now.

Bryan

What's a sixpence:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Well the romantic option is the most appealing, a silver dollar or a few sixpences.

Dane, a sixpence was a fortune to a child in the 1950's, a pot of gold almost...

Just a big thanks to all, we are back on track.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We last used a camper in anger about 7 or 8 years ago. Back then we would fill up with water and pop a purifier tablet into the tank.

What is the current thinking on keeping drinking water usable, is it still tablets?

If so is one type better than another?

Thanks

purely based on the post above, I would be inclined to replace the pipework if its that old. Particularly the old plastic used before about 5 years ago (possibly slightly longer) the pipes degrade over time leaching chemicals into the water. these are chemicals are carcenogenic and were basically banned for use with pottable water. much the same reason why you dont use a garden hose for drinking water.

modern semi rigid pipes and push fit connectors make the job simple and its fairly inexpensive.

then sterilise the system as mentioned, either with a bleach or citric acid based cleaner used in home brewing. much cheaper than the tablets etc

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thyroxine

Don't use iodine based filters, if someone who is likely to drink it has thyroid problems. I've just given my tank the Milton treatment as it had been standing for several months before I bought it. I've also bought one of the little submersible pumps so I can fill up from streams if we get up to Scotland later in the year as planned.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
purely based on the post above, I would be inclined to replace the pipework if its that old. Particularly the old plastic used before about 5 years ago (possibly slightly longer) the pipes degrade over time leaching chemicals into the water. these are chemicals are carcenogenic and were basically banned for use with pottable water. much the same reason why you dont use a garden hose for drinking water.

modern semi rigid pipes and push fit connectors make the job simple and its fairly inexpensive.

then sterilise the system as mentioned, either with a bleach or citric acid based cleaner used in home brewing. much cheaper than the tablets etc

Thanks for your input TheBig1, but I ddn't explain that very well.

We sold our previous MH years ago and have just bought another which was in use until last summer. As it's about 8 months on we will sterilise the system as recommended before filling for camping.

Thanks

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
so thats why tea tastes better in a china cup stirred with a silver spoon:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cost of a matching pair of Mars Bars, the day sweets came off ration!

Two matching Mars Bars for sixpence:Doh:
Are you sure your not getting your Snickers in a twist:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
G

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You could try Draining the Tank/ System, and drying the tank out with a soft cloth everytime you come home from a trip, Works for me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back