Outdoor room for Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi,

I am looking for an awning outdoor room extension for our new Autotrail EKS. Our MH supplier showed us this, specific for Autotrail, but to be honest, I think it is the most ugly looking thing I have ever seen.

http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/department/autotrail/

Does anyone have any alternative ideas please?

Can`t help with your question but do know someone with a Chieftan who had problems when he bought a awning that was not specifically designed for a Autotrail and had to have it altered.

Don`t know what, but there seems to be something different about how the Autotrail canopies are attached, so make sure you get one that fits.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The item you have shown is often refered to as a "safari or privacy room".
These are fine if you are planning to pitch up for a reasonable length of time BUT expensive, heavy, bulky and just look on ebay etc, lots of people seem to sell theirs as "used it very little"...

Maybe something like this.
Link Removed

Lightweight, easy to pack away. There are lots of other versions out there..

Now the problem.!!! These awnings are really made for caravans, so they specify a max height rail of 250cm... On the Autotrails you are right on the limits at this height. They do fit, will do the job but you just have to accept not having loads of material to fold under at the bottom of the awning.
There is a version made by Kampa called Motor rally that are designed for taller motorhomes, more expensive but higher quality material.. HOWEVER, we have just returned ours with a suspected fault, we know of 3 other people with same problem, there is a seperate thread running about that,

Hope this helps.... :thumb:

ps.. There is no issue with attaching these awnings, they slide into a channel that already there on the wind out awning.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Maybe something like this.
Link Removed

Oh Yes! That looks much more like it. However, I seem to recall the dealer saying the autotrail channel is a 'special' and another poster also mentioned this. I need to do more research on this and I'll also look at the Kampa thread.
You dont say wether you want driveaway or caravan type

Until you said that, I didn't even know there were different types! Duh... :Blush:

As a newbie and as you can tell, I am really out of my depth here and don't know what is available or usually used. I can only blame myself for a lack of knowledge. I naively asked the dealer what he suggested and this safari room contraption is what he promoted as the only option available. Now, thanks to this forum, I am learning otherwise. I'm sure the dealer sees us as walking £££ to take easy advantage of and that hurts and upsets me. There is a heck of a difference between £50 or so and £800+ out my bank account and into his profit margin. Well, that isn't going to happen!! :Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We are AutoTrail dealers and stock a wide variety of awnings, why not give Glenn Harris my service manager a ring and pick his brains or Ian in Parts or Darren in the shop.

You will also get Funsters discount if you purchase :thumb:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Many people who buy these safari room and the like end up selling them simply because they hadn't thought it through at the outset.

If you are going to pitch up for days or weeks on end then it certainly makes sense.

If you want to pitch up and use your motor home to travel around and return to the site then a stand alone awning is a better idea as it will reserve your pitch while you are away and give you somewhere to keep some larger items when you are out. (Aqua roll or levelling ramps etc.)

My final advice would be to telephone Johns Cross Motorhomes and pick their brains as has been said by Peter above.

Best of luck ...Griff
:thumb:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We are AutoTrail dealers and stock a wide variety of awnings, why not give Glenn Harris my service manager a ring and pick his brains or Ian in Parts or Darren in the shop.

You will also get Funsters discount if you purchase :thumb:

Peter

Thank you Peter, I shall get hubby to do just that. :Smile:

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thank you Peter

I bought one of these

Link Removed

does what I need

We really wanted something to be able to walk straight into via the side door, so for us that wouldn't do it.

As it is hubby rang Darren at John Cross, who was exceptionally helpful and our new awning will be on its way next week. We went for the Kampa in a smaller size, to cut down on weight and for ease of putting it up. With just the two of us and the dogs, hopefully it should be ample for our needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back