May 1, 2012
york
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
since 2007
Hi all

I have a problem with my Autoquest 120. The manual drain hose from my water tank got dislodged (a badly stowed vehicle jack!), and naturally the tank emptied. Having re-fixed the hose and filled the tank, I find that the water pump isn't working (the pump doesn't run and the light beside the manual run switch doesn't light up. The blade fuse is OK (actually appears to be for the gauge rather than the pump itself). Before I start dismantling things... has anyone had a similar problem?

Mike :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is the pump an in-tank version ?

was it turned on when the tank emptied ?

if yes to both then the pump may have burnt out by running dry.

impeller pumps need water to lubricate and cool them...a diaphragm pump doesn't and will run dry OK.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike and welcome :thumb:try powering the pump direct from L/Batt just to check if it is the pump or wiring/fuse :thumb:I would like to tell you all m/hs are wired like this or that but unfortunately they are all different even from same makers sometimes ::bigsmile::winky:It will be a case of tracing wires back to distribution panel and battery etc,they hide fuses in some funny places.
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

bully

Free Member
May 1, 2012
york
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
since 2007
is the pump an in-tank version ?

was it turned on when the tank emptied ?

if yes to both then the pump may have burnt out by running dry.

impeller pumps need water to lubricate and cool them...a diaphragm pump doesn't and will run dry OK.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is an in-tank pump. Don't think it was turned on after the tank emptied, but the first I knew about it was when the taps didn't work, so perhaps it did burn out.

OP
OP
B

bully

Free Member
May 1, 2012
york
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
since 2007
Hi Mike and welcome :thumb:try powering the pump direct from L/Batt just to check if it is the pump or wiring/fuse :thumb:I would like to tell you all m/hs are wired like this or that but unfortunately they are all different even from same makers sometimes ::bigsmile::winky:It will be a case of tracing wires back to distribution panel and battery etc,they hide fuses in some funny places.
terry

Not quite sure how to attempt to run the pump direct from the L/batt. I was hoping there might be an fuse or trip somewhere, but cant see one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not quite sure how to attempt to run the pump direct from the L/batt. I was hoping there might be an fuse or trip somewhere, but cant see one.
you will need to remove the pump and connect the wires directly to a battery.

i think most in-tank pumps are operated by a microswitch at the tap, so would need a tap turned on but some have a standalone pressure switch in the pipework and once the tank was empty there would be no pressure to turn it off so the pump would continue to run.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Run two new wires to it just temp :winky: just to see if it works :thumb:if it does not work then you need a new pump - if it works then your headache starts trying to find fuses etc or a break in the wire
terry

OP
OP
B

bully

Free Member
May 1, 2012
york
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 120
Exp
since 2007
you will need to remove the pump and connect the wires directly to a battery.

i think most in-tank pumps are operated by a microswitch at the tap, so would need a tap turned on but some have a standalone pressure switch in the pipework and once the tank was empty there would be no pressure to turn it off so the pump would continue to run.

Thanks. that's my next job then: getting the pump out. My taps have microswitches, so still hoping I dont have to get a new pump! :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks. that's my next job then: getting the pump out. My taps have microswitches, so still hoping I dont have to get a new pump! :)
with micro switches its unlikey the pump has burnt out as it shouldn't have been running.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back