Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi,

For various reasons I am getting concerned about being over our weight limit occasionally. We will be using our motorhome at various shows where we are exhibitors. We will then be carrying the equivalent of an extra five large suitcases of equipment. Our weight limit is 3500Kg and my concern that all up, we will be getting very close to that. I have worked it out on paper and not down to the last fork but it does seem to add up so quickly! And now he's bought a generator! :Eeek:

Do MHs get weight checked and what is the repercussion.

Mary

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The answer is yes they do - can result in a heavy fine - more usually unload until you are the right weight at the weighbridge then go somewhere to unload to go back and pickup what you left behind. Overloading can give points on the licence - invalidate your insurance and the points can give increased premiums for the future. At the other end of the scale the weight specified for the van relates to the tyres - suspension - brakes etc overloading will have a negative effect on all these.:Eeek:

Suggest you consider a trailer ??

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it appears motorhomes are getting weighed more often these days.

my understanding is.......

a few kg over and the chances are they'll overlook it or you could just drop some water until you are under and hope the tank is where the excess weight is.

a lot over and they will not permit you to go any further until the weight is lost

considerably over and they will slap a prohibition notice on the van and it will be towed.

if it is a real concern you could use a small trailer....depending on your licence....C1 category, unbraked up to 750kg...C1+E category, braked up to your train weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a problem with the trailer route too. If you use the vehicle for hire or reward (selling at shows) dependant on vehicle weight you may need a tachgraph fitted and use it whilst using the vehicle for business. VOSA inspectors are apparently targeting motorhomes and horse boxes as easy targets. ignorance of the laws is no defence when caught

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the easiest option is load the van as you would for a holiday trip......not a show trip with extra load.

go to a public weighbridge to determine your actual weight....front and rear axles

that will tell how much more you can legally carry and where you can carry it...front or rear or both up to your axle limits.

if you're unsure of the axle limits then look on the chassis/VIN plate...it should be the second and third set of figures (highest will be rear axle), the first being your gross vehicle weight and the fourth being the total train weight (loaded van plus loaded trailer).
even if the trailer is empty, it is it's maximum allowable weight which is used to calculate the vehicles train weight on the road.
a 3500kg trailer has the ability to carry up to 3500kg..even if empty at the time)

the second plus third will add up to more than the gross weight but this is normal and allows for uneven loading.

as an example.
gross weight (the absolute max you can be) should never be exceeded.

gross weight = 3500kg
rear axle limit = 2000kg
front axle limit = 1850kg
total = 3850kg

if the rear weighs 2000kg then deduct this from the gross (3500kg) and the remainder (1500kg) is what the front can weigh

the same works the other way round....load the front to 1850kg and the rear can only weigh 1650kg.

ideally you would balance the load between the axle weights without exceeding any one of the weights

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not only tacho .but restricted operators licence . cpc . and soon cpc for the drivers . the days of exhibitors are numbered if using private use vehicles .
vosa tell me that they can almost guarantee 80%of 3,500kg gvw motor homes are over laden going on their weighings in the south west. cant tell you for up north. i regularly speak with our local vosa down here . it will definately start soon with portable weigh mats being again on routes in to cornwall. they start up in and around bristol . cover loads of routes . they tell tales of catching up to 75 on a saturday easily. and thats just the local one.
be safe dont do it .visit a local weighbridge when you are loaded . best not a vosa one . try a quarry or ask a truckdriver they usually know a local one . a scrap yard will do it usually. and weigh it with people in it .

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, just a note . if you get caught for being over loaded ,it could stop you being allowed a hgv licence in the future . certainly can stop you ever being able to legally run heavier goods vehicles in a business.
max fine for over loading is 5,000quid .
often upto 5%you get a warning ,over 5%not allowed to move till the extra weight is removed . over 10%weight must be moved and a fine will happen.
remember you could be over loaded on both axles and over loaded over all . thats three offences never mind no tacho etc . its endless . you certainly mustnt say you are a exhibitor /trader . they chuck the book at you then.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
For a minute there I thought we were all off to weight-watchers........

..................Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It may be possible to get the van loading uprated and in most cases it's a paper exercise, not sure of the cost but I believe Jaws had his done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Reading my initial post, it does read as if we are using the MH for business. We are not. Our MH is simply going to be a means to get to venues and somewhere for us to sleep whilst working at shows rather than B&B and also forking out for kennel fees etc. The leisure side is going to be our bonus.

The extra info however is very interesting and I appreciate the input and brilliant advice. At the shows we do there are retailers whose MHs I see loaded down with goods. I wonder how many know their weight limit and the risks.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We will be using our motorhome at various shows where we are exhibitors.
Mary

Plenty of advice on weight, but insurance was mentioned.

Even if under weight are you insured for commercial use ? It's effectively a commercial vehicle, now I remember Geo telling us that if he saw a motorbike carried in a MH garage he could not MOT it as a normal private MH because it became a commercial vehicle.

I did get mine insured as a Mobile Office but they were very insistent that no goods were carried and I was not even to allow clients visited inside.

Keep checking before you end up in deep poo.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Reading my initial post, it does read as if we are using the MH for business. We are not. Our MH is simply going to be a means to get to venues and somewhere for us to sleep whilst working at shows rather than B&B and also forking out for kennel fees etc. The leisure side is going to be our bonus.

The extra info however is very interesting and I appreciate the input and brilliant advice. At the shows we do there are retailers whose MHs I see loaded down with goods. I wonder how many know their weight limit and the risks.
Carrying anything not immediately conducive to camping will be classed as goods carried, so if you have a couple of suitcases packed with pots and pans or hot water bottles etc (whatever it is you sell) you need to inform your insurers to remain legal.

even a motorcycle in the motorhomes garage can be seen as goods...IE: not actually needed to camp.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi back to goods all m.homes carry goods .your goods even if they are not for sale or reward .
a garage in the back .can in fact make the m,home a living van . living vans over 3.500kg are to have a hgv mot. really should be plated as well.
have had this discusion several times with vosa . they know all about it but say its not really in the public interest to hassle all the time. they at the moment turn a blind eye to it. i lowered the gvw of my trailer be4cause its a living van . it as space to carry a m,bike and does carry tools etc .all not directly involved in m,homing . if it was at its original 5,000kg gvw it would require mot. as it is it doesnt. also the unit would then require mot.
with refferance to the other thread on weighing i think thats why they weighed me near taunton. .
but if you are over loaded it can be expensive.
if you are carrying things not related to camping and uprate expect to have to plate the vehicle fit a tacho and then have to get an operators licence and abide by drivers hours . think hard .many do get away with it ,but scream when caught.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I apologise for inadvertently misleading anyone. Our business is service based, not retail and our equipment is along the lines of banners, leaflets, lights and table decor etc. I am really surprised at the complexity re insurance etc and shall seek further guidance.

Upvote 0

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I apologise for inadvertently misleading anyone. Our business is service based, not retail and our equipment is along the lines of banners, leaflets, lights and table decor etc. I am really surprised at the complexity re insurance etc and shall seek further guidance.

So far the advice Alan has given is spot on.....but warning banners leaflets tables etc are classed as goods as you need them to carry out your business.

VOSA are getting more interested in motorhomes than ever they used to be.

All the best Rick.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

I am not being funny, but you clearly do not understand the law with regard to using a motorhome for hire or reward. Just transporting your goods for sale is enough to bring this clause in. then if you use it as accomodation when carrying out a comercial enterprise, such as selling goods at a show does as well. It is no longer commuting, therefore invalidating insurance

Just because other people have got away with it so far does not make it legal, and as already said VOSA have recognised motorhomes and horse boxes as their latest target group. Not only do the fines amount to extortion, the other penalties can be very serious too including having the vehicle seized and impounded. At the least you will be fined and have a prohibition notice meaning you must unload the goods before continuing your journey. Once they have your details, they will then ensure you reregister the vehicle and take appropriate measures if you are to use it again for this purpose

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
We have contacted Comfort and have had our policy changed to Class 1 which covers carrying equipment to and from the shows. There was a fee of £15 to change the policy, but no additional charge on the policy itself. So, as long as we keep our weight within limit, which I am now sure we will, then we are all clean and legal. Thanks to everyone for their advice. :Smile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have contacted Comfort and have had our policy changed to Class 1 which covers carrying equipment to and from the shows. There was a fee of £15 to change the policy, but no additional charge on the policy itself. So, as long as we keep our weight within limit, which I am now sure we will, then we are all clean and legal. Thanks to everyone for their advice. :Smile:
you know it makes sense......:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back