Water Pump keeps switching on for a split second. (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
About every 10 minutes, the water pump keeps switching on for a split second as if the pressure is dropping. I've checked and can't see any water leaks which would make sense. Anybody else got any ideas?

In case it was just an air lock causing it (maybe?), I've drained the system all down, so it might not do it when I refill, but thought I'd check if anyone knows?

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Common one is the Thetford solenoid allowing water through, leave 12v on when stood up a couple of weeks and see if you get a full bowl of water. :Eeek:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
I have the same thing and found that the frost release valve for the hot water tank has a slight drip (a weep really).

Over the course of say 10 minutes the pressure drops enough for the pump to kick in for a second.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Voltage low ? would that cause it?

pump seals?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I've just had a thought.............. I may have nudged the hot water draindown valve whilst we where away, I'm thinking that there may have been a small leak from there..........

Thanks for your help all.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Craig the pump seals may be going allowing it to loose pressure :thumb: you can get a kit :thumb: or a new pump ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers all, it's still under warranty and is due a hab check soon, so I think I'll save my effort and get them to do it! :roflmto:

My monies on the pump seals :thumb: but check everywhere for leaks now,don't leave it to chance or a least turn off the pump :thumb:Wrap all joints and lower parts of any pipes in loo roll then turn pump on,leave until you are primed a couple of times then check the loo paper :winky:if all dry it is the pump.
terry

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's currently sitting empty at the moment, but I have my suspicions on the draindown valve being slightly open.

However, it's bugging me that I don't know, so may have to put a small fill in and watch.

I assume by "pump seals" you mean the seals on the feed, output and filter?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our leak was under the basin in the bathroom. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

We had exactly the same problem.
Ours was the outside shower hose attachment. We hunted high and low inside the motorhome .
We only found it when an icicle had formed out side. Luckily it was well below freezing at the time. Or we could still be looking for it.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
HERES A TIP

Too protect the drain down valve from being accidentally operated
I cover mine with a plastic aerosol can cap,with a slot cut in opposite
sides to allow it to sit over pipes, cheap and effective.
Allows you to store stuff around the valve without fear of operating it.

regards

Steve:thumb:::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We once lost a whole tankful of water when a toolbox knocked against our boiler drain valve in our old Elddis!
We arrived at a wild camping spot dry!

It might be a sliver of limescale jammed in your valve Craig.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just to hijack this thread...

...very slightly. We have had the occasional 'jug/chug/jug' noise in our new to us motorhome since we bought it. Thought at first it was the fridge starting up, but now seems more likely it's the water pump. Only happens for a split second, once every few minutes. After reading this thread, seems there may be a leak somewhere? Hadn't actually realised the system is pressurised...

I've still got two months left of the six month warranty, but would like to be certain what I'm saying before getting back to the dealers. Are there any simple tests I can do to pin the cause and problem down?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have the same thing and found that the frost release valve for the hot water tank has a slight drip (a weep really).

Over the course of say 10 minutes the pressure drops enough for the pump to kick in for a second.

Spect this is the reason take a look underneath:thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I think it maybe the drain valve. I filled and checked all pump joints and pipe joints and they are all dry but the pump continues to prime every 10 or so mins.

Another thing I've noticed is that the bathroom tap doesn't have a lot of hot pressure but find think its related.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
...very slightly. We have had the occasional 'jug/chug/jug' noise in our new to us motorhome since we bought it. Thought at first it was the fridge starting up, but now seems more likely it's the water pump. Only happens for a split second, once every few minutes. After reading this thread, seems there may be a leak somewhere? Hadn't actually realised the system is pressurised...

I've still got two months left of the six month warranty, but would like to be certain what I'm saying before getting back to the dealers. Are there any simple tests I can do to pin the cause and problem down?

Do as I said in previous post and check for leaks :thumb:IF NO leaks then the only thing left is the pump seals :thumb::Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Well, getting closer.

After the pump being off all night and all day, I turned it on and it primed, then about 2 mins later it kicked in for a second and then again about 4 mins later.

Checked all the joints and there is no water leak anywhere, so I removed the pump and found the following on the body that looks like there may have been some water coming out at some point;

1.jpg

2.jpg

So I stripped it all down and the diaphram is a little gunked up so thought I'd get all the rubber out and replace, but when I checked, it's far cheaper to just buy a new pump at around £40.

So, I'm cleaning all the seals up and rebuilding to see if it works first before splashing out.

If anyone is interested in what a diaphram pump stripped down looks like (the seals are shown bottom right);

3.jpg

It's going in for a Cab service on Friday, so might not get around to refitting it until the weekend, but I'll let you know.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Good news, re-assembled the pump after cleaning all the seals.

Installed, filled, primed, tested, left for 30 minutes and no re-priming.

Checked the pump and no leaks.

So far, so good. Just have to see how it goes.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks for that Craig, nice photos l I'm just about to strip down the pump on my jacuzzi it keeps putting black crap in the bath I think it's the rubber seal breaking up:Eeek:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
That doesn't include the seals for the pressure switch which also looked like it was leaking.

All in would be close to £30 and if you shop around you can a pump for just over £40.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Thanks for that Craig, nice photos l I'm just about to strip down the pump on my jacuzzi it keeps putting black crap in the bath I think it's the rubber seal breaking up:Eeek:

my sister had an air bath and that had been putting black bits in for ages but its not the pump thats at fault.

it turns out that you can never get all the water out of the airway and as the bubble holes are in the bottom of the bath its an algae from the stagnant water that is always left in the air system

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Thanks for that Craig, nice photos l I'm just about to strip down the pump on [HI]my jacuzzi it keeps putting black crap in the bath[/HI] I think it's the rubber seal breaking up:Eeek:

Those dam little dogs they will crap anywhere Jacuzzi's, shitzu's etc,:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, getting closer.

After the pump being off all night and all day, I turned it on and it primed, then about 2 mins later it kicked in for a second and then again about 4 mins later.

Checked all the joints and there is no water leak anywhere, so I removed the pump and found the following on the body that looks like there may have been some water coming out at some point;

So I stripped it all down and the diaphram is a little gunked up so thought I'd get all the rubber out and replace, but when I checked, it's far cheaper to just buy a new pump at around £40.

So, I'm cleaning all the seals up and rebuilding to see if it works first before splashing out.

If anyone is interested in what a diaphram pump stripped down looks like (the seals are shown bottom right);

It's going in for a Cab service on Friday, so might not get around to refitting it until the weekend, but I'll let you know.
I had exactly the same problem on my RV pump Craig.

water seeping from the valve block mating surfaces and triggering the pump....2 or 3 pulses every 10 minutes or so.
luckily the pump is in an external 'wet' locker.

i had to resort to Blue Hylomar gasket cement to seal it after stripping and cleaning the surfaces.

obviously an ongoing fault as it had previously been sealed with bath silicon.

£100plus for a new Shurflo pump or £7 for a tube of cement.....no brainer really and if it last another year that £93 in my pocket

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Help Surefow pump

I have exactly the same problem and have removed the pump and separated the two halves but can' t see how to remove the filters,there are 3 small rubber type grommets do you have to remove these to get at screws underneath ?
Thanks in advance
Alan

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt