Apr 20, 2012
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
VW Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2001
Hi

Just upgraded from a traditional vw camper to a motorhome to make things easier with our 3 year old!

We just went away on our first weekend with the idea of cbeebies being on tap, however our status 315 doesn't really seem to be cutting the mustard. Will a booster do us any good (if so what do you recommend?) or do we need to completely change the arial? We don't really want to fiddle with the roof if poss as we don't want any leaks?!?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There is a digital amplifier available from status that apparently works well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you got the right polarity? Vertical or horizontal. Horizontal,ie the plane of the aerial is flat and usually for main transmitters, Vertical,plane is up and down,is for repeater masts generally the ones we find on sites. Digital was originally fed through repeaters. If you can look around at any buildings and see where they are pointing. Or copy a fellow camper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the omni directional 315 will never be any good unless you are close to a transmitter.

cut your losses and bin it for a decent directional one through the roof.

fitted properly they do not leak.

i have, in the past, used an normal house aerial on a pole attached to the rear ladder...never failed to give good results.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you got the right polarity? Vertical or horizontal. Horizontal,ie the plane of the aerial is flat and usually for main transmitters, Vertical,plane is up and down,is for repeater masts generally the ones we find on sites. Digital was originally fed through repeaters. If you can look around at any buildings and see where they are pointing. Or copy a fellow camper.

Yeah right :roflmto:

I've seen aerials pointing in every possible direction on campsites and show grounds. :Doh:

i suppose one or two must have it right but its far better to note local house aerial direction as you approach the campsite etc.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i too have used a household aerial on a pole fixed to my rear ladder it may not look as nice but it works and costs about a 10th of the price.

like now i have a sky mesh mini dish clamped on a pole on the ladder total cost was around £10 for the cable the dish was a scrap one off an installer.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Help!! Status 315.......

You need to use the MotorhoneFUN technique to improve your 315.

First remove from roof.

Place on flat smooth soft grass.

With the aid of an assistant drive over it with the motorhome.

Repeat until you can no longer see the 315.

Go buy a Status 550.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Yeah right :roflmto:

I've seen aerials pointing in every possible direction on campsites and show grounds. :Doh:

i suppose one or two must have it right but its far better to note local house aerial direction as you approach the campsite etc.

most of them just use their satellite systems so never bother with the normal aerial.

OP
OP
T

Tavsday

Free Member
Apr 20, 2012
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
VW Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks all!!

Thanks everyone for the sound advice! Think it's time to get the big mallet out!!

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks everyone for the sound advice! Think it's time to get the big mallet out!!

Incidently....if you do decide to change the 315 you dont have to remove the base plate.
you can buy a blanking plug which fits in/on the base plate after removing the 'saucer' part and the coax cable.

Blanking cap

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I wonder if you'll be luckier than I was. The directional aerial had to be in a slightly different place due to the pole hanging inside. Very nerve-racking to stick one big hole-saw through the roof.

OP
OP
T

Tavsday

Free Member
Apr 20, 2012
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
VW Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2001

Yeah same as us that is why we're a bit reluctant to change it, I see most people have them fitted in their wardrobe but we're the other side, with just a small cupboard underneath....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They do make a short cupboard version of the 530
The 530/5 with a 365mm mast (Top Cupboard Fitting)
The 530/10 with a 920mm mast (Wardrobe Fitting)
Dont throw throw the old unit away they make great frisbies:thumb:

Fosdike

Free Member
May 3, 2012
ripon
Funster No
MH
van
Exp
Absolute rubbish, I have used a Status 315 for years and there have been to very few places that I have had to resort to getting out the satellite dish because i cannot get a terrestrial signal. Now that the majority of Freeview transmitters have significantly upped their power output I think us flying saucer owners are going to have the last laugh as we watch you lot fiddling around trying to locate a good signal when all we have to do is plug in and switch on. Regarding one of the previous posts, It is not unusual to find people who didn't realise it had to be switched on.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Absolute rubbish, I have used a Status 315 for years and there have been to very few places that I have had to resort to getting out the satellite dish because i cannot get a terrestrial signal. Now that the majority of Freeview transmitters have significantly upped their power output I think us flying saucer owners are going to have the last laugh as we watch you lot fiddling around trying to locate a good signal when all we have to do is plug in and switch on. Regarding one of the previous posts, [HI]It is not unusual to find people who didn't realise it had to be switched on[/HI].

Last year I pulled up at Durdle Door campsite. I managed to get a fairly poor picture on my Staus 315 on a day when many wanted to watch the Grand Prix. Their super duper wind up dish's got nothing and they crowded into mine to watch the GP.

Picture improved no end when I remembered to switch on the Booster.........:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back