How hot should air come out of a Truma? (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm just checking out where everything is and how it works, before setting off in the camper. I've run the Truma up to temperature and warmish air is coming out , but not what I'd call room temperature, but it could just be me as my wife has our heating set high. Can somebody tell me what sort of heat should be coming out of it?
Cheers, John

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've found that ours takes about 20 mins to get to full efficiency-but after that,on full heat it's way too hot !!
Sorry i don't have any figures.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi warm air will blow out,not hot.It does not take long to heat a van but it will never burn your hand so to speak.Another thing which may confuse you is once you turn it off after 30 sec/ min or so you will hear it turn on again,this is supposed to happen-it clears unused gases then turns off.I find with ours I turn it on full speed for tens mins then onto the lower quieter first speed.
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Looks like it needs a service.

Thanks for the replies. The fire on the front of the boiler is warm to the touch, but not that hot and the air coming out is also just about warm.
Cheers, John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Should have asked this to begin with-What model Truma have you ?
terry

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
According to the handbook which came with the vehicle

It's an SL3002

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think it's a case of balancing the blower part of it with the heat number.
If you have a book with it, mine gives recommended combinations of blower number with heater number. (Does that make sense?)

Also, as the heat rises, if you are sitting down you really notice the heat if you stand up!

I've found that I put it on no 7 (blower/fan not on) Leave that for 10-15 mins, then turn down to 2. Keeping us nice & warm at the moment.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Cheers Terry

I've got the hard copy of the manual, but hadn't noticed the bit about setting the controls. I also noticed that it says the fan should be cleaned regularly and dust cleared from the bottom tray, so I'll clean it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ours seems to come on and kick up in about three stages over a few minutes, getting progressively hotter. Rather depressing to have to be talking about heating when we're nearly in May! Staying over at sister-in-laws in Bromley and heading off to Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia on Monday. Hope the drive south pays meteorological dividends.
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Gas pressure and airflow.

Just a thought, but could either of these factors affect the running of a Truma? I'm parked against the house, so not much airflow and running on a 4.5 .kg Calor bottle which I'm trying to use up so I can swap for a bigger bottle. Would it be worth changing to propane and are there any advantages apart from the low temperature bonus.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Ours seems to come on and kick up in about three stages over a few minutes, getting progressively hotter. Rather depressing to have to be talking about heating when we're nearly in May! Staying over at sister-in-laws in Bromley and heading off to Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia on Monday. Hope the drive south pays meteorological dividends.
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hope you enjoy your trip, it sounds fab! We've had great weather in Scotland where we are, dry all week, clear starry sky tonight, but not as warm as it should be for end of April. However, deluge on it's way up from south of the border:Sad:
It's a long time since we travelled through Germany and Austria, about 37 years probably, have a great trip and don't forget the warm clothing:thumb:
Margaret & Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought, but could either of these factors affect the running of a Truma? I'm parked against the house, so not much airflow and running on a 4.5 .kg Calor bottle which I'm trying to use up so I can swap for a bigger bottle. Would it be worth changing to propane and are there any advantages apart from the low temperature bonus.

In my experience Butane runs hotter and cleaner than Propane so I wouldn't see that helping ..

bear in mind, the air temperature out will depend on the air temperature going in , so as the van heats up so too will the hot air coming out ..

presumably you have checked the exhaust gas flue.. not blocked or partially covered ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In my experience Butane runs hotter and cleaner than Propane so I wouldn't see that helping ..

bear in mind, the air temperature out will depend on the air temperature going in , so as the van heats up so too will the hot air coming out ..

presumably you have checked the exhaust gas flue.. not blocked or partially covered ?
Propane burns hotter than Butane ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Propane burns hotter than Butane ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

correct.. 10c hotter ..
Flame temp. of both when burning with air,

Butane 1,970 c

Propane 1,980 c

Propane Butane Mix 1,970 c

but I said in my experience, ::bigsmile:

as I understand it, an appliance designed to run on Butane will not be as hot when run on Propane, unless re jetted for propane... :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
correct.. 10c hotter ..
Flame temp. of both when burning with air,

Butane 1,970 c

Propane 1,980 c

Propane Butane Mix 1,970 c

but I said in my experience, ::bigsmile:

as I understand it, an appliance designed to run on Butane will not be as hot when run on Propane, unless re jetted for propane... :winky:

That's OK Jim :thumb::winky: Not used Butane bottles for yrs I cannot use the refill adapter on them :winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
NEVER tried to :winky:BUT IF I HAD TO I AM CERTAIN THERE WOULD BE A WAY ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Vents

I can see a vent on the roof and a pipe leading from the area of the boiler to it, but there is also one on the side with the Truma logo on it. At the moment it's blowing a gale here, so I don't think it's lack of ventilation that's the problem::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if memory serves me correctly the blown air bit of these is pulled from the rear of the fire.
if you just have the fire on you will notice more heat from that until you switch on the fan then the heat from the front will reduce as the fan sucks it from the fire.

so if you are only on a low number you need a low fan speed or it will cool it down

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
But is it a fire, or just a burner?

As far as I can see, the front is just a cover for the heat exchanger, does anyone know if there is an exploded drawing online anywhere? I'm leaning towards the fan being the problem, so I'm going to take it apart and clean it later, as I've read that dust can cause problems and the handbook says clean it every three to four weeks of use, which I can't see the previous owner having done.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
you should be able to get to the back of it to remove the fan and once a year was enough for mine and we were full timing

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
The plot thickens

Just checked the fan casing and it's getting warm, the fan is also blowing straight through when I turn it on, but the air at the other end is varying between cold and slightly warm. I can't believe it should be that cold as the Truma advert shows someone swimming in a snow bordered pool. Could it be the heat sensor at the base of the control knob, next to the pilot light?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back