Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
CC informed me that as of today E /T will charge £15 each way for a dog. Are the ferries following suit???:Eeek:

S

stagman

Deleted User
CC informed me that as of today E /T will charge £15 each way for a dog. Are the ferries following suit???:Eeek:

Eurotunel have been charging this for at least the last 4yrs .:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Talk about "rip-off Britain"!!! It's any excuse now to get money out of us poor folks, to charge £15 for a dog is disgraceful:whatthe:

Haven't heard anything about this, but sadly we no longer have our beloved Border Collie:Sad:
Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
It has always been free UK to France as no checking of the Pet Passport is required, and £30on the return trip when the check is required.

We always use the tunnel as the dog stays in the motorhome with us and it is such a quick and efficient service.:Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
As previous posts - Tunnel £30 for the return trip :RollEyes:

The ferries charge as well Britanny Ferriw for instance :
£16.50 (UK to France) & £24.75 (France to UK)
• £29.50 (UK to Spain) & £39.50 (Spain to UK)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
it's also 15 each way for a ferret in ET,

don't ask.....

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I stand corrected - not unusual!

Checked the Eurotunnel site this evening and indeed they have suddenly changed the charge from £30 on the return trip to £15 each way.

So, if you are feeling naughty and booking a single out and a single back you could 'forget' about the dog on the way out? Not that I would ever do that of course.:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Eh? It takes 2 minutes. It is deffo a rip off! :Angry: She's not even allowed out of the van on the ferry. :Angry:

Ivy

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Seems like it's a captive market and they charge accordingly. Only ever done it once as ours on are one way tickets. To me the ET charges we're only part of the story, the whole thing is just too expensive ! rabies jab, rabies blood test (every 12 months), vet check, tunnel/ferry etc it starts to get very expensive but then again so are kennels I suppose.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Eh? It takes 2 minutes. It is deffo a rip off! :Angry: She's not even allowed out of the van on the ferry. :Angry:

Ivy

Don't see how it can be described as a rip off. At Eurotunnel they have a purpose built unit with parking outside that has to be manned 24/7. There are usually at least two people in the office so on an 8 hour shift basis they have to employ 6 people every 24 hours. At £30 a time I can't see that they make much money on this one.

I am quite happy to pay the £30, much better than when you couldn't take your dog at all, cheaper than kennels and better to have your dog with you than leave him/her behind.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
If you think this is bad have a look at the price for flying a dog, me sitting in a seat with a meal on BA return to europe £150, dog in a box in the hold £350, now thats what I call unfair

Dave still afloat in Rugby:helptitanic:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
always paid £30 return

£30 has been charged return (£15 each way) by euro tunnel for years and years.. this is not a new charge.

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is to cover the costs of checking the passport

Talk about "rip-off Britain"!!! It's any excuse now to get money out of us poor folks, to charge £15 for a dog is disgraceful:whatthe:

Haven't heard anything about this, but sadly we no longer have our beloved Border Collie:Sad:
Margaret

Euro Tunnel have a dedicated pet passport office at the tunnel on the French side that you have to go to and have the pet scanned and the passport checked before you can proceed to check in.

There is also an exercise area which is enclosed... UK side it is a bit of grass and a tree.. do not get anything for the money in the UK.. but you do in France and that is why there is a charge...

stayed the same for years and years.

Bob

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
It still could be done electronically. All you would need is an extending microchip reader and the pet passport could be electronically checked too. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Indeed - and if somebody is suggesting that I would rather leave Ellie behind than pay the £30, they are up the creek. Wherever we go, Ellie comes with us. Leave her behind? Perish the thought! :roflmto:

Ivy

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Biometric petpassport:Smile:

Seems like a good idea on the surface of it, however, no doubt " Health and Safety" wouldn't allow it..........your Rottie attacked one of our staff:winky:
Read all the reasons for charging, but hey ho, it sounds like just another excuse to extract money out of anyone travelling abroad these days:Blush:
Just as well we can keep our python concealed in the overhead cab:winky:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Seems like it's a captive market and they charge accordingly. Only ever done it once as ours on are one way tickets. To me the ET charges we're only part of the story, the whole thing is just too expensive ! rabies jab, rabies blood test (every 12 months), vet check, tunnel/ferry etc it starts to get very expensive but then again so are kennels I suppose.

Wow--that is expensive--do yours really have to have a blood test every year?
Although I live in France I always get vaccinations done in UK as rabies then lasts 3 years. Mine all had their blood tests after 1st jab but no longer necessary.
Will ferries & ET still charge for cats when they don't need the tapeworm treatment (I'm told) ?
I travel with 4 so tunnel or ferry, it's never cheap. Currently a rainy day in Gironde (again!!!) Dogs and cats all curled up asleep in m/home.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Wow--that is expensive--do yours really have to have a blood test every year?
Although I live in France I always get vaccinations done in UK as rabies then lasts 3 years. Mine all had their blood tests after 1st jab but no longer necessary.
Will ferries & ET still charge for cats when they don't need the tapeworm treatment (I'm told) ?
I travel with 4 so tunnel or ferry, it's never cheap. Currently a rainy day in Gironde (again!!!) Dogs and cats all curled up asleep in m/home.

Oops just been corrected by she who takes care of these things:Doh:

Same process as you describe, jab every 3yrs and blood test once at the beginning assuming that you have the jab within a 24hr window of the 3yrs date.

OK gotta to find another way to save money:roflmto:

We've only travelled our cats and dogs through once but have taken many other animals through without charge. Fish, Rabbits, Guinea pigs, always declared but no special paperwork. Have to say that the time we did do I was impressed with the process, seemed slick at least

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
All these charges on top of the cost for the "Pet Passports" as well?

Maybe someone could tell me how much these cost now:RollEyes:
Yes, I realise that we can't risk spreading rabies and other problems, but it just seems to be one cost after another:Blush:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Rabies blood test is no longer needed for Europe (still needed for Morrocco) so not as expensive.
You need microchip (a good idea even if not going abroad) rabies vaccine every 3 years and the passport (needs renewing only when it's full). Much cheaper than kennels and you have your dog/ferret with you which must be worth a lot.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Rabies blood test is no longer needed for Europe (still needed for Morrocco) so not as expensive.
You need microchip (a good idea even if not going abroad) rabies vaccine every 3 years and the passport (needs renewing only when it's full). Much cheaper than kennels and you have your dog/ferret with you which must be worth a lot.:thumb:

When we moved back up here from down south, we asked our vet about micro chipping and he advised us against it (13 years ago). But we no longer have Toby now and I just wondered how much the pet passports cost out of interest.
I don't see us ever having another dog, I am only just starting to get over not having Toby around:cry:he wasn't unlike your little one in your avatar
Margaret

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

That's very good to know !!!

Any idea since when you don't need the blood test ?

So it' basically, rabies jab, chip, vet check before entry to UK and that's it now ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we moved back up here from down south, we asked our vet about micro chipping and he advised us against it (13 years ago). But we no longer have Toby now and I just wondered how much the pet passports cost out of interest.
I don't see us ever having another dog, I am only just starting to get over not having Toby around:cry:he wasn't unlike your little one in your avatar
Margaret

Just checked to see if I kept he receipt (I didn't) but I recall it was about £120 for vaccine and passport (say £40 a year). For comparison the kennels that Meg has occassionally been in (very good by the way) charge £23 a night so much cheaper to take her with us.

We also decided we would not get another dog when Sam died, we lasted 6 months.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Crikey! £23 per night for your dog in the kennels:Eeek:
The last time we had Toby in the kennels was about 12 years ago and I think it was around £8 per night, (our Scottish prices weren't too bad back then). But we never put him in the kennels again after that because he was a very excitable dog and every kennel owner had problems with him:Doh:
I've uploaded a photo of him in the garden, which was taken years back:Sad: it's on our page.

Margaret

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Love the picture.

Meg is popular at the kennels because she is very sociable, with dogs and people. I agree it is expensive but it is a lovely place, in the country with fields and a lake to play in but secure, quite a country club for dogs and she enjoys it, not at all homesick !
She will have a long weekend there at the end of May when we go up to Yorkshire for my brothers wedding as we are staying in a hotel. Then she's off to France on the tunnel.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Toby was very social, in fact, too sociable for some people! A visit to the vet's used to always end in a funny story, nothing was straightforward with our Toby. But latterly he was terrified of going to the vet for his annual jab and it became so distressing for us that we had to leave him and call back later.:Sad:
We will never forget the time he tried to get "amorous" with a very large, black labrador (male!) and the lab ended up pinning Toby to the ground:whatthe:
Anyway, we have so many happy memories and loads of photos of him.
Keep us posted on your French trip, we've just sent off our passports for renewal and hope to make the trip down later on this year:thumb:
We did our rounds of all the kennels around the Gatwick area before making the move back north.
Margaret

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Oh Margaret - what a lovely boy! He sounds like a real character and you must miss him every day. See how you go. You might change your mind one day and have another dog.

We got Ellie's passport late 2009 and it cost £195 all in. That was the vaccination, blood test and passport and it costs £30 return every time we take her over to France. The last vet fee we paid in France was 36.93 euros. What can you do? Have doggie, must pay. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Has anyone ever been checked to see if they have one dog/cat/ferret or more? We have been using E/T for the last 7 years (and has always been £30 per animal for return journey) but never been checked to see how many animals on board!

One thing to be aware of UK requirement is for two yearly Rabies jabs but France require yearly protection - theoretically you could be denied access to france with your pet on that basis!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back