gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thought some winnie owners might like to see this as i have just picked it up of a usa site

An FYI that I will be posting on every RV site and forum I can find until something is done about this.

More and more Winnebago's are coming of age where the adhesive that bonds the fiberglass edge of the roof to the J rail, is starting to fail and they fiberglass is starting to pop out of the J rail. If this happens while the motorcoach is in motion at 55 MPH a piece could fly off and cause possible injury or death to someone following. You might want to do some research to find a factory looking fix for this and see if there is a way to prevent it. I talked with Rod from Winnebago Customer Relations and he said they are aware of it and the Sealant seems to only hold up about 10 years. This just happened to my 99 Chieftain. They say it is the owners responsibility to inspect the sealant on the J Rail about every 6 months. There was not a sealant installed from the factory and a sealant is not an adhesive. You can not inspect the Adhesive as it is under the fiberglass. I thought I should make you aware so you can get an action plan for a sufficiant repair if you have not already done so. Alot of forums show that this is happening quite often. The sad thing to hear, was when Rod said they still use the same process today on the 2012's so in 10 years they will also have a factory defect that Winnebago will not take care of. They do not consider this part of the roof. This is a several thousand dollar repair that could have been easily prevented with a proper installation at the factory.

hope this helps
:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the info... doesn't affect me in my "Euro Box" but might be of interest to those who have Winnebagos...

I better tell Smudger about this... especially if I might be the one behind him on the road some day...

JJ :Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
useful info

That was useful info... well to me JJ as a Winnebago owner.

As for Smudger, it is not his roof one has to worry about.. he has this thing about turning left she n he has the trailer attached and running over the car that has sneaked up the inside .. a trailer sure makes a mess of an offside wing of a car.. ask smugger... good job he has Irish number plates:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
A little 'surf' reviels yes a few have had issues with small sections of the roof to gutter section becoming unstuck and in high wind, or driving, small sections of fiber glass, one discribed half the size of his hand, highly unlikely to do much harm, but possible.

It also sounds like a very few incidences versus the huge numbers of Winne's out there and also restircted to certain models, or types shall we say, the coach style (BIG buggers::bigsmile:).

Winne apparently stated it was poor maintainance, a certain caulked seal being allowed to fail therefore allowing movement/separation. Winne state this should be inspected every 6 month, some are shouting about this. I can't remember which one, but about a year ago there was a similar 'shouting' session over another manufacturer and something roundly similar.

In essence it seems someone, or a few havn't observed the maintanace schedule, had a failure and expected Winne to foot the bill, and then gone sputing about it over tinternet, how unusual:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

I can feel for people in these situations, hell no one wants seal failure but keeping and eye on seals is part of any MH, caravan, tent, house, etc where ever you are, is it not?

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
Thanks for the info... doesn't affect me in my "Euro Box" but might be of interest to those who have Winnebagos...

I better tell Smudger about this... especially if I might be the one behind him on the road some day...

JJ :Cool:

i bet your just WAITING to tell me, AREN,T YOU.......go on admit it, i know your jealous and you want one. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Link RemovedWINNEBAGOLink Removed roofs are one piece fibre glass and are bonded all over. So I doubt there would be a huge problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back