Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Exp
since 2010
hi this is my first thread. i just wounderd if any one can tell me where i can get a spare gear box from for my manual wind up maxiveiw saterlite system. i have already turned the brass gear wheel once and now it has completly worn out. thanks regards chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had a long argument with them years ago, they even came out to inspect the installation .. but couldn't fault. They eventually replaced the gear box/winder .. .. but never admitted it was crap

Complain to Maxview as not fit for purpose.. demand a replacement FOC

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maxview USED to be a great little firm run by a family of folk who knew their stuff and was always helpful..

In 1971 I started an aerial installation firm entirely thanks to them.. They gave me, a complete unknown, a bit of credit to get stock with.. As my firm grew they always worked with me.. Then it was run by 'the old man', Reggy Clarke

Dunno what happened but somewhere along the way they seem to have lost any customer awareness.. I do not believe it is the Allan ( Regs son ) has caused this, rather the people who 'advise' him :Sad:

BUT

Every time I have needed a part for a broken system in a van they have done ther best to accommodate and supply the parts needed

If the system is well out of warranty I would suggest you give them a ring ( or if you are within reach of Setchey near Kings Lynn go there ) and chances are they will be able to supply. The sales fone number is 01553 813333

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

chrisbooth

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Exp
since 2010
Maxview USED to be a great little firm run by a family of folk who knew their stuff and was always helpful..

In 1971 I started an aerial installation firm entirely thanks to them.. They gave me, a complete unknown, a bit of credit to get stock with.. As my firm grew they always worked with me.. Then it was run by 'the old man', Reggy Clarke

Dunno what happened but somewhere along the way they seem to have lost any customer awareness.. I do not believe it is the Allan ( Regs son ) has caused this, rather the people who 'advise' him :Sad:

BUT

Every time I have needed a part for a broken system in a van they have done ther best to accommodate and supply the parts needed

If the system is well out of warranty I would suggest you give them a ring ( or if you are within reach of Setchey near Kings Lynn go there ) and chances are they will be able to supply. The sales fone number is 01553 813333
thanks phoned maxivew and got replacement gear box for 60 pounds nice one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks phoned maxivew and got replacement gear box for 60 pounds nice one

SIXTY QUID !

I wouldn't have paid a penny .. In warranty or not, IMO the winder box isn't fit for purpose..
did you not ask why it had failed and is the replacement any better .. ?

nice little earner for Maxview ..

OP
OP
C

chrisbooth

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Exp
since 2010
SIXTY QUID !

I wouldn't have paid a penny .. In warranty or not, IMO the winder box isn't fit for purpose..
did you not ask why it had failed and is the replacement any better .. ?
nd
nice little earner for Maxview ..
i know did ask question but the system is about 8 years old so i had no foot to stand on. every thing else for motor homes is a rip of so why should they be any different. still cheaper than the 400 pound replacement new one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i know did ask question but the system is about 8 years old so i had no foot to stand on. every thing else for motor homes is a rip of so why should they be any different. still cheaper than the 400 pound replacement new one

well, I guess it's how stuff is made today .. failure is designed in .. absolute rubbish .. when I met the 'man from Maxview' I explained the weakness and how to resolve it .. but he wasn't interested..

I collect / restore old Singer sewing machines.. they run as good as new 60, 70 or even 100 years old.. .. if they had made a sat dish mechanism in 1895 it would still be working ... good as new..

anyways.. glad you are sorted even if your pocket was stung ..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jim, have you ever visited that clothing shop in Brighton that has hundreds of sewing machines all over the place as decor ..

Woman looked a the clothes, I spent a good 30 minutes just looking at the engineering and weird design ideas displayed !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, have you ever visited that clothing shop in Brighton that has hundreds of sewing machines all over the place as decor ..

Woman looked a the clothes, I spent a good 30 minutes just looking at the engineering and weird design ideas displayed !

no, but sure will have a look next time I'm down that way .. got a name or street ?

in saying that .. my lounge looks just as bad ... :roflmto:

OP
OP
C

chrisbooth

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Exp
since 2010
well, I guess it's how stuff is made today .. failure is designed in .. absolute rubbish .. when I met the 'man from Maxview' I explained the weakness and how to resolve it .. but he wasn't interested..

I collect / restore old Singer sewing machines.. they run as good as new 60, 70 or even 100 years old.. .. if they had made a sat dish mechanism in 1895 it would still be working ... good as new..

anPyways.. glad you are sorted even if your pocket was stung ..
Problem with today's engineering is that parts are designed to fail its called after sails, they have to make money somehow bless them

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jim just had an Hr scouring the net for a list of Satellites Singer would have used in 1895
They seemed to be in short supply
probably why Singer didn't bother:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
G

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Problem with today's engineering is that parts are designed to fail its called after sails, they have to make money somehow bless them

yeah..

good examples ..

bearings sealed for life .. who's life ? a butterfly or elephant.. or just until the warranty expires..

'no lub' nylon gear wheels... :RollEyes:

ball joints with no grease nipples.. that's about as dumb as it gets :Doh:

well better stop there... :roflmto:

OP
OP
C

chrisbooth

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Exp
since 2010
yeah..

good examples ..

bearings sealed for life .. who's life ? a butterfly or elephant.. or just until the warranty expires..

'no lub' nylon gear wheels... :RollEyes:

ball joints with no grease nipples.. that's about as dumb as it gets :Doh:

well better stop there... :roflmto:
For sale one maxiview gear box BOOKEND other end available soon offers:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
no, but sure will have a look next time I'm down that way .. got a name or street ?

in saying that .. my lounge looks just as bad ... :roflmto:

Other than it is in the Lanes no.. the area is not very big and I should think anyone local will be able to point you straight at it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back