Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Gennys can be a real help in winter months and I've got a Honda with hundreds of hours on it. Never really been upset by someone else's use of a genny, (apart from an old Smoker/thumper Bryan used to have on all day at shows):ROFLMAO:

I'm still amazed at people who turn up after a 4 or 6 hour drive and start a genny! ::bigsmile: Why do you do that? Do yourself a favour, buy an inverter, or go all 12v IMO A genny should not be your primary supply, it should be for charging it. There are some Ive seen over the years who use a genny so much, (and one i saw much more recently) where I wondered if they had a battery at all :ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good to see a considerate genny user Jim!:thumb:

Whilst wild camping once, had a lovely starlit evening in the Highlands ruined by another MH parking near us, and the occupants immediately firing up the genny and then watching TV!!!

GRRRRRRRR!:Angry:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good to see a considerate genny user Jim!:thumb:

Whilst wild camping once, had a lovely starlit evening in the Highlands ruined by another MH parking near us, and the occupants immediately firing up the genny and then watching TV!!!

GRRRRRRRR!:Angry:

A 12v TV or a cheap inverter and no need to have a Genny running at night. Simples...

At Chester the other weekend, we'd had a couple of beers and a dozen of us decided to go and get an Indian. Siân got changed and wanted the genny on to use her straighteners for 2 minutes. :RollEyes: So I put it on. And then forgot about it. :Doh:

We got back at 10:45pm and I was horrified to see it running, a Honda under no load is quiet but at night the noise carries. In the Morning I apologised to my neighbour ChrisBoyo, but thankfully he said he never heard it (must have drunk more than me) but could he borrow it cos they were flat:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You will be pleased to hear at the show this year I will not be running my main computer (work should be quiet) so my little netbook which lasts all day will get it's first outing.

So it is only my fridge and heating using any juice. So no NOISY!!!! generator from me this time (fingers crossed) I have 500AH of battery so should be able to last till Monday:winky::ROFLMAO:

Although I come off hookup this Tuesday.....:shout:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We used to run Shell's hair staighteners off a 300W inverter.

Now we have a 2100W inverter, she uses the hairdryer, iron, electric whisk, etc.!:Eeek:

Just as well we have a well sorted battery bank!::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You will be pleased to hear at the show this year I will not be running my main computer (work should be quiet) so my little netbook which lasts all day will get it's first outing.

So it is only my fridge and heating using any juice. So no NOISY!!!! generator from me this time (fingers crossed) I have 500AH of battery so should be able to last till Monday:winky::ROFLMAO:

Although I come off hookup this Tuesday.....:shout:

Shame on you for admitting to using hookup on a public forum!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Marshalling at Peterborough once, we had a van using two gennies all day :Eeek: And they were old, noisy units too.

They're a pet hate of mine. I understand if you're skiing in winter with a foot of snow on your roof, or you have a medical necessity for 240V. But you shouldn't leave home, assuming you're going to be able to create noise pollution and disturb people around you.

/soapbox

Gerald

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I like to sleep in at the weekends. So people who start their Genny at 08:30 very quickly fall of my christmas card list :ROFLMAO: 12:00 is a sensible time.
Then in the evening I like to sit outside and relax. So switch em off by 18:00 hours :ROFLMAO:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I knew moses left something out...

11. Live and let live. :RollEyes:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I knew moses left something out...

Well said, Bryan!
Despite our annoyance, we did refrain from killing the occupants of that MH in the Highlands!
We were mightily pleased with ourselves for complying with the 'Thou shalt not kill' commandment too!

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We used to have a Burstner A530 which had one 85APH battery.
I have a 1kw Kippor, we ran the van as if on hookup all elec gear being 12v.
We used to run the gennie from 1500hrs to 1700hrs.
This allowed my manager to cook dinner on our Remoska and charge the battery at the same time.
I have never understood the need to run a gennie all day and till 2200hrs in the evening. I have to say I find that very inconsiderate of other people. :Doh:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Agreed. We only have a 220Ah battery bank and my wifes medical condition will bring those down in 24hrs, :Eeek: but it only takes a couple of hours each day with the generator to keep up. IMO noon to 2pm is about the correct time each day to run a genny.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
A 12v TV or a cheap inverter and no need to have a Genny running at night. Simples...

At Chester the other weekend, we'd had a couple of beers and a dozen of us decided to go and get an Indian. :Smile:

Please be carefull with your wording, I though this ment in the following order

1: I know you cold get an Indiam motorbike (my Dad road one arround the wall of death) but not an Indian genny.:Cool:

2: I know your a bunch of cowboys but taking revenge for the "battle of the lttle big horn" is not really PC these days.:Eeek:

3: Oh its a Curry and chips allround....:thumb: pass the pompidoms

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Agree with the why need a genny after only a day or even on arival , post totally.
On a recent rally , the first bit of Spring sunshine was spoilt IMO by several generators being started up on the Sunday morning. All on tarmac too.
Lovely fresh Spring sunny morning , ideal to sit out in and enjoy the peace and quiet with a cup of coffee .
Spoilt , as there must have been at least 5 going full on in close proximity. :Sad:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the amount of time a genny should be used is governed by the amount of power you need or use,if you are a low consumer of power,you would not need to run your genny as long as a person useing a lot of power,so haveing a set time does not always work,but i think that people should try to run there vans mostly on 12v,not always possible if a hairdryer is needed,but as jim says you can get over the problem useing a inverter,and replaceing the power used by a genny.
most vans are fitted with a 10/12 amp charger,uprateing your van charger to a larger charger lowers the amount of time you need to run a genny,no point haveing a 220amp battery bank if you are only rechargeing at 10/12 amps:Doh:
fitting led lighting will lower battery consumtion,as will heating water on gas and cooking with gas and heating the van on gas:thumb:
alot of small screen telly's sold at comet/currys are 12v and sold with a transformer,bin the 12v transformer and power it useing the 12v direct,this is what i do and the telly in my van has been set up like that in 2 vans for about 11 years,no problem:thumb:
as has the sat system:thumb:
i can go off site for about 4 days with no need to run a genny,but i will run a genny if im parked and it aint causeing any inconvenience, even sometimes after driveing for 3 to 4 hours:Smile:
never considered solar as i want to be able to replace my lost power on demand not when the conditions are right:Doh:

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006

But then, aren't people allowed to have peace and quiet if they want it? Surely, that's part of the reason for going away in a motorhome?

To me, this is about the 'smoking in pubs' argument. One side says: "yes, but why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke where I want? This is a restriction on my personal freedom."

And then the other side says: "what about my rights to enjoy a smoke-free atmosphere?"

"Then why don't you go to a different pub?"
"Why should I have to?"
"Why should I have to stand outside to smoke?"

and so it goes around ....

There's a saying, about visiting somewhere - "take only photographs, leave only footprints". To me, it's about enjoying life without imposing any of the effects of your enjoyment on other people.

Gerald

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
To me, it's about enjoying life without imposing any of the effects of your enjoyment on other people.

Gerald

Agreed. However sometimes it just has to happen, when my little genny is running my 50A charger I have a little laminated note cable tied to it explaining the reason for it. But with the best will in the world, I will have upset somebody close by.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
If and when I run the genny, which is not very often, I always ask the vans near me if they object, if not, and then it is only for about an hour :thumb:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
sorry folks put if my batteries need charging then out comes my kippor dont see why i should sit there with no electric just because some one dose not like generators

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
sorry folks put if my batteries need charging then out comes my kippor dont see why i should sit there with no electric just because some one dose not like generators

But surely you could charge your batteries for a couple of hours during the day? Which would then see you till the next day. :Smile:

Or are other people not worthy of your consideration?

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
But surely you could charge your batteries for a couple of hours during the day? Which would then see you till the next day. :Smile:

Or are other people not worthy of your consideration?
of course i would only run it in the day time only a fool would run one at night

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't think any one minds reasonable use Yosser it is when for example they are ran from say 6pm till after 10pm it really is unneccessary. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest if the weather is as bad this weekend as it has been I can see a lot of people huddled in their van a lot. I would expect heavier than usual generator usage due to TV's, copious coffees etc etc....

I do however think that 12pm till 6pm is long enough to put a good whack of charge in to last the other 18 hours of the day. This 08:30 til 10pm business is a long time in which some will run early and some late so we have the noise/fumes effectively all day.

But that's just me. Whatever anyone says on this subject there are bound to be people who will disagree whether it is on the tolerance side or the consideration side.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
some hopes

I like to sleep in at the weekends. So people who start their Genny at 08:30 very quickly fall of my christmas card list :ROFLMAO: 12:00 is a sensible time.
Then in the evening I like to sit outside and relax. So switch em off by 18:00 hours :ROFLMAO:

You have two hopes.. bob hope and no hope.

If I need to use the genny I use it... I tend not to much before 08.30 and normally finish not later than 21.30 to 22.00 hours.

I did not buy an RV not to use the equipment. I do not set out to cause issues with people around me.. and as JIM knows I have a Venturi system I add to my genny exhaust to take any fumes up high above the RV... I know what it is like to be beside Byans genny in his trailite.. smelly nosy genny.. suffered it many an hour at Lincoln a couple years ago when i was beside him:Sad::Sad::Sad: My Onan (chassis built in Genny) micro lite 4 kw is quite compared to some stand alone Kipors I have heard.

As I have said in posts before..:reel: I run a 240v main TV /DVD, a 1700 watt start up microwave, my genny switches the fridge freezer from log to mains when the genny is running, I charge my two disabled scooters, and lights if need be. I also run my air conditioner as needed in warm weather, and or course the heating blowers. I do have a 1500 watt inverter so I can use that, but the genny recharges the domestic batteries.

So as always.. if offended do not park beside me.. but then I am useful when the European motorhomes suddenly find they have run there battery banks down and need an EHU to re charge them for them. An RV is a little bit different to a domestic van conversion. I have battery management on the RV so I am aware of the state of my batteries ....

While shows allow me to use the generator I will continue to do so, but within reason.

Bob:Blush:

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
dont see why i should sit there with no electric just because some one dose not like generators

And similarly, why should someone have to listen to your generator just because you can't manage your power usage? We use the power that we have available and that we can generate with our solar panel. If our batteries are running low, we stop charging laptops, watching TV, etc etc.

As I said before, emergencies, medical equipment and so forth are understandable.

Gerald

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
And similarly, why should someone have to listen to your generator just because you can't manage your power usage? We use the power that we have available and that we can generate with our solar panel. If our batteries are running low, we stop charging laptops, watching TV, etc etc.

As I said before, emergencies, medical equipment and so forth are understandable.

Gerald

well if they dont like they can move my van my power use wot i like when i like

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree why should I run it at certain times

well if they dont like they can move my van my power use wot i like when i like

I may want to go out and will run it at 8.30 for an hour or two... I may want to be in the show early, so may run it later... just use it when i want, that is why I have it. I did not chose to spend my money on solar panels... that is my choice. so as long as the rules allow me to use it then I will chose the times not someone else.

I do not go mad with it and as I say I use a venturi that cost a fair bit of money... that was to make it quitter for others.. but I will not be told by other campers when i can use it. As Martin has said.. move elsewhere if you do not like it. Perhaps the solar panel motor homes should do like Motor Home Facts have a meet with in a meet. next it will be we do not like the smell of the BBQ or we have to go to bed at a certain time:Blush:

Bob .. always been a rebel and no one will change me.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
No one is saying you (royal you) cannot use a gennie all we are saying is they should be used sparingly and with consideration for others. This seems eminently reasonable to me. :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Dont think its about you being a rebel slobadoberbob.
(More an annoyance.)
Its about using a normal TV , lights and microwave when you needn't .

Also this "eurobox " has battery management too .

Using it from 8.30 till 22.00 hours is excessive for anyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back