UK TV abroad (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Has anybody used an 'identity cloaker' so as to retain access to BBC iPlayer, 4od etc when outside the UK? I have been looking at VPNUK. Does anyone have any experience of this service?
Don't want to miss the rest of 'Homeland' on Channel 4!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
free to air satellite works way down to South of France

I have free to air satellite and that works for me right down to the South of France

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I have free to air satellite and that works for me right down to the South of France

Bob

Yes, but further afield or when UK satellite channels cannot be received or when you need to use a catch-up streamed on-line service to see a programme you missed, you need to prevent things like iPlayer identifying you has having a non-UK IP address. Of course, this also assumes access to a suitably fast w-fi source with adequate bandwidth.
My present satellite equipment is only a Lidl special suitcase job and the dish is a bit on the small side. Plus, upgrading the dish/lnb wouldn't get around the on demand issue. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
why do I need wifi?

Yes, but further afield or when UK satellite channels cannot be received or when you need to use a catch-up streamed on-line service to see a programme you missed, you need to prevent things like iPlayer identifying you has having a non-UK IP address. Of course, this also assumes access to a suitably fast w-fi source with adequate bandwidth.
My present satellite equipment is only a Lidl special suitcase job and the dish is a bit on the small side. Plus, upgrading the dish/lnb wouldn't get around the on demand issue. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Why do I need wifi? the satellite picks up free to air stations.. no wifi needed.. works right down into Spain with no problem.

I presume you want the wifi because of Iplayer... but for normal TV including channel 4 and 5 I get it OK on the NETA satellite system (dome) on the roof. I also get all the BBC prigs.. that I would on Iplayer.

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I use a proxy server Hide IP NG...

I pay for it... there are many, many "free" proxy servers but I have found all of them a waste of time with all their adverts and pop ups etc...

With Hide IP NG I pay around $19 per year and I can be in the UK or the USA at the click of a button...

JJ :Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why do I need wifi? the satellite picks up free to air stations.. no wifi needed.. works right down into Spain with no problem.

I presume you want the wifi because of Iplayer... but for normal TV including channel 4 and 5 I get it OK on the NETA satellite system (dome) on the roof. I also get all the BBC prigs.. that I would on Iplayer.

Bob

I hope I am not teaching a granny to suck eggs Bob but... :Blush:

Watching Iplayer is very different to watching television... With the Iplayer you can watch TV live if you want but you also have the choice to watch most of the programmes when you want rather than when the scheduling people dictate...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a couple of servers based in the UK.
I have a VPN I use when I want to cloak and that routes all traffic via the server.

Do you guys think this might be a service I ought to look into offering?

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi

Grommet will any of these proxy servers work with an iPad, as when away I prefer to take iPad.

Lesley
I have a couple of servers based in the UK.
I have a VPN I use when I want to cloak and that routes all traffic via the server.

Do you guys think this might be a service I ought to look into offering?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes JJ I know

I pay for it... there are many, many "free" proxy servers but I have found all of them a waste of time with all their adverts and pop ups etc...

With Hide IP NG I pay around $19 per year and I can be in the UK or the USA at the click of a button...

Yes JJ I know.. do have it on my Macbook Pro.. often watch a series or pick up what I missed.. programs do not just fall off over night.. they are there if you down load the series and you can pick them up later .. if you can get a fast down load it is easier than trying to watch live.

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes JJ I know.. do have it on my Macbook Pro.. often watch a series or pick up what I missed.. programs do not just fall off over night.. they are there if you down load the series and you can pick them up later .. if you can get a fast down load it is easier than trying to watch live.

Bob

Sorry Bob... :Blush:

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
[HI][/HI]

Bob
Yes but not the day after you missed them.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

Thanks JJ, that's precisely what I'm on about. :thumb: VPNUK was a possibility I had found at £5.99 a month but $19pa sounds better! And, yes, Grommett, if you are offering a host service, bring it on. All that's needed now is fast broadband for next to nothing everywhere. I don't seem to be able to find a smiley icon for flocks of pink pigs flying by the window, though. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Er Lesley, why pay at all.

You could try [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrEBSUfBo[/ame]

Easy and free ... especially on your ipad.:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Er Lesley, why pay at all.

You could try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrEBSUfBo

Easy and free ... especially on your ipad.:Smile:

That's the client software which is free. However you need something to put in the server configuration. That's generally the bit you pay for.

Running a proxy or VPN tends to be expensive on bandwidth and can be a support overhead so free ones will tend to be loaded with adverts and cheap ones will be oversold.... No such thing as a free lunch on this type of stuff.

I will be looking into this over the next few weeks to see if it is feesable to offer as a service at a price that makes sense for funsters. I won't be doing it as a general offering as it is not an area of my trade I want to get into in a big way.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
That's the client software which is free. However you need something to put in the server configuration. That's generally the bit you pay for.

Running a proxy or VPN tends to be expensive on bandwidth and can be a support overhead so free ones will tend to be loaded with adverts and cheap ones will be oversold.... No such thing as a free lunch on this type of stuff.

I will be looking into this over the next few weeks to see if it is feesable to offer as a service at a price that makes sense for funsters. I won't be doing it as a general offering as it is not an area of my trade I want to get into in a big way.

Sounds good, just make it Mac friendly please. :Smile:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Yes I too have used

http://www.expatshield.com

worked fine for me to watch BBCi player at my wifes cousins in madrid, while connected to his home internet.
Free download is quick and easy.

Regards
Steve:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back