Opinions on The Camping and Caravan Club. (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm not really a club person, which is why I've always avoided formal camp sites as much as possible, but obviously with a motorhome I'm going to have to use sites every few days. I'd be interested to hear people's views on certified locations and other sites run by the Camping and Caravan Club before joining.

Cheers, John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
joining the c&cc or the cc will save money on insurance for a start.

the other benefits are that you have access to rallies and temporary holiday sites around the uk as well as the excellent network of cl/cs 5 van sites. Also with the c&cc you get discounted RAC cover that will still be effective for larger and older vans, even collecting them from off tarmac. Without the added benefits it makes things more tricky

we are members of both clubs and have been for years, and found both pretty much paid for themselves with discounts and benefits etc

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club and find there are a number of benefits that work for us:

- Although we like wild camping, sites do have their uses from time to time, and with CCC sites are usually of a reasonable standard.

- The age concession rates make a big difference to the cost of staying outside peak season - some places are very good value.

- The small Certificated Sites (CS) are handy and informal, with a large network across the country.

- The holiday rallies frequently provide exceptional value in peak season, when other places charge an arm and a leg.

- There's usually no need to book on the holiday rallies, just turn up. Stay as long as you like from 1 night upwards - all very laid back and friendly.

- The magazine is OK, though obviously not a great deal of motorhome-specific editorial.

I know a lot of folk gain from arranging insurance, ferry bookings and continental campsite reservations through the Club, although we haven't used those particular services to date.

Overall, the Camping and Caravanning Club offers good value for us. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club and find there are a number of benefits that work for us:

- Although we like wild camping, sites do have their uses from time to time, and with CCC sites are usually of a reasonable standard.

- The age concession rates make a big difference to the cost of staying outside peak season - some places are very good value.

- The small Certificated Sites (CS) are handy and informal, with a large network across the country.

- The holiday rallies frequently provide exceptional value in peak season, when other places charge an arm and a leg.

- There's usually no need to book on the holiday rallies, just turn up. Stay as long as you like from 1 night upwards - all very laid back and friendly.

- The magazine is OK, though obviously not a great deal of motorhome-specific editorial.

I know a lot of folk gain from arranging insurance, ferry bookings and continental campsite reservations through the Club, although we haven't used those particular services to date.

Overall, the Camping and Caravanning Club offers good value for us. :Smile:

Said it all, only things to add. I left MCC and joined C&CC saved over £200 for my MH insurance.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We're members of CC, but in the main use CLs. Pete was a member of CC before the C &CC was invented I think - his original membership number had about 5 digits or something - so we joined it when we bought the MH, it seemed obvious. However because of him working weekends, we have never even been on a single rally, even though some of his contemporaries are not only still in the local group, but still getting elected to office - along with some of the sons and daughters that his own daughters remember from childhood! LOL - so I'm sure we'd be welcomed and even an object of curiosity (eg I remember him but I don't remember her being his wife, nudge nudge stylee!) Pete works long shifts so he's too cream crackered to even go to a Noggin and Natter fairly locally some Saturday.

Anyway what I was gonna say was, the C&CC do seem to offer slightly better VFM to me (holiday rallies without booking being one, age discounts, discounts for single campers - which am not sure I entirely agree with or not really - you take up the same amount of room, you use the same amount of electrickery - a bit more water or showers or loo flushes or cassette empties I spose) but as I have not been on any of their campsites or CSs, can't comment on the general standard offered.

Been pretty happy with the CC sites and CLs we have been on, is all I can say.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We're members of CC, but in the main use CLs. [HI] Pete was a member of CC before the C &CC was invented[/HI] I think - his original membership number had about 5 digits or something - so we joined it when we bought the MH, it seemed obvious. However because of him working weekends, we have never even been on a single rally, even though some of his contemporaries are not only still in the local group, but still getting elected to office - along with some of the sons and daughters that his own daughters remember from childhood! LOL - so I'm sure we'd be welcomed and even an object of curiosity (eg I remember him but I don't remember her being his wife, nudge nudge stylee!) Pete works long shifts so he's too cream crackered to even go to a Noggin and Natter fairly locally some Saturday.

Anyway what I was gonna say was, the C&CC do seem to offer slightly better VFM to me (holiday rallies without booking being one, age discounts, discounts for single campers - which am not sure I entirely agree with or not really - you take up the same amount of room, you use the same amount of electrickery - a bit more water or showers or loo flushes or cassette empties I spose) but as I have not been on any of their campsites or CSs, can't comment on the general standard offered.

Been pretty happy with the CC sites and CLs we have been on, is all I can say.

Wow thats some years of camping considering the C&cc was formed in 1901 and the cc in 1907:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks Folks

I originally thought that the Camping and Caravanning club was a re-incarnation of the Caravan Club until I realised they were separate organisations, so it's a bit like the line in my favourite film about The People's Front for Judea and the Judean People's Front.

I can't get my head round the discount on insurance though, because I'm sure members are just as likely to have their vehicles stolen or being involved in an accident as non-members. Do the discounts only apply if you use their insurers, or do other people like Safeguard and Comfort also offer member discounts. This is all useful information as I'm about to insure my van so I can pick it up on Thursday, so if the discount saves me more than the membership it would be worth me joining before I insure, instead of at the first site I use.

Cheers, John

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
C&CC

We are members of both and they each have their uses. Whereas I do use the C&CC for my insurance, this is only because it longstanding and when I needed them they stood on no problem so I return that with continued support. I do not agree that there is any saving to be had as I can undercut the price. Last year we bought a new unit and got a 30 day policy from Caravan Guard, it was loads cheaper. I emailed the quote to C&CC and this years quote was reduced .

Phil

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think it has all been said really. We are members of the C&CC - mainly for the CS network. We don't use club sites very often - perhaps once a year at most. But the age-related (over 55) rates in mid and low season make some club sites quite reasonable. The price for using motorhome service only (not stopping) is ridiculously high at £7 so we have never used that.
I used to use them for booking ferries until I realised I could get prices that were as cheap and gather loyalty offers in my own name. Also, I have not used the C&CC insurance but would recommend that you try Comfort insurance for a quote.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks Philip

At the moment Safeguard are ahead by £100 on insurance, so unless I find something better between now and Thursday I'll probably go with them.

Cheers, Johnn

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We are members of the Caravan Club (CC), The Motor Caravan CLub (MCC) and the Camping and Caravan Club (C & CC).

This year I will not be renewing the Caravan Club Membership as we have not used it at all. I will not be renewing the Motor Caravan Club either as we have not used them either as the Kent Group became too exspensive.

The Camping and Caravan Club will be renewed. We use the DA Section of Kent Motorcaravans and they have brought us to some fantastic places. They do not charge over £7 a night and meet most weekends from April - November.

The temporary holiday sites that the Camping and Caravan Club run are worth their weight in gold as they hold them in popular places and again they are only around £8 a night.

Pretty good value in this day and age is the over 55 discount. In non peak times it is cheaper to use a C & CC Site than some CS's especially if you are a single Motorhomer.

Sonja

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Do the discounts only apply if you use their insurers, or do other people like Safeguard and Comfort also offer member discounts.

I got a reduction with Safeguard because I was a member of the C&CC.

Although the club sites don't seem too popular with a lot of the MH 'veterans' on this site, they do have their uses - the guaranteed hardstanding I booked at New Quay this week is starting to look like a good move :rain:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I joined C&CC in 2008

and have not regretted it. The club sites are great, the staff helpful and friendly. I don't insure but have had discounted ferry prices. I have not done any events altho' they seem to have a lot of meets. I think, as a golden oldie, that they are good value!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi

We are members of the Caravan Club (CC), The Motor Caravan CLub (MCC) and the Camping and Caravan Club (C & CC).

This year I will not be renewing the Caravan Club Membership as we have not used it at all. I will not be renewing the Motor Caravan Club either as we have not used them either as the Kent Group became too exspensive.

The Camping and Caravan Club will be renewed. We use the DA Section of Kent Motorcaravans and they have brought us to some fantastic places. They do not charge over £7 a night and meet most weekends from April - November.

The temporary holiday sites that the Camping and Caravan Club run are worth their weight in gold as they hold them in popular places and again they are only around £8 a night.

Pretty good value in this day and age is the over 55 discount. In non peak times it is cheaper to use a C & CC Site than some CS's especially if you are a single Motorhomer.

Sonja

God your such a clubber

Be a good few years before you can get that then Sonja :roflmto::winky:

We are caravan club members, gives us choice, we love there CL's and also they have some realy interesting rallies. However at the moment when we get any spare time we like to go to a fun meet, or on our own to a CL.

As for insurance? must be an older person thing then, never have they been within £100 of safeguard for us.
AS for cheap ferries? not in this day of internet, again never saved a penny.

Try one use it and see how you get on. it's only a few quid, nothing to what your gonna spend on the van over the next few years :roflmto:

castalla

Free Member
Jan 16, 2010
Spain + Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion IH Tio R
Exp
Since 2007
Good morning John, We think its money well spent, join the motorhome section they consider the needs of motorhomers, shops, buses, villages nearby and hard standings, you are made welcome in all the other groups.
Hope this helps. Robert.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just got my confirmation letter cancelling my direct debit

I just got a written communication from them confirming the cancellation of my membership and cancelling my continuous direct debit.

I did not think it is value for money... especially if you have an RV.. to many hassles.

I only belonged for as long as I have for the club discount on the euro tunnel.. since the fees have gone up yet again I can do better booking direct, plus I do not have the issues of chasing them for the ticket number, which I seem to do for every trip... also now ACSI give a you a free carnet, which I had to buy from the CC&C .

Bob

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Safeguard

I insured last week with Safeguard to start on may Ist and if you're doing it online there is a place to put any motorhome related clubs. I chose to put CC but I'm a member of C&cc as well and I believe I got a discount but not absolutely sure .
The CC in our opinion has better CL.s but C&cc club sites are better with the age discounts for us older members,and some of there temporary holiday sites are in superb locations as Red Sonja said and affordable.
Alan

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
God your such a clubber

We are caravan club members, gives us choice, we love there CL's and also they have some realy interesting rallies. However at the moment when we get any spare time we like to go to a fun meet, or on our own to a CL.

As for insurance? must be an older person thing then, never have they been within £100 of safeguard for us.

Try one use it and see how you get on. it's only a few quid, nothing to what your gonna spend on the van over the next few years :roflmto:

Comfort wanted £100 more than Safeguard, so Safeguard wins. I Actually discoverd the other day that it is still possible to et from Dover to Dunkirk for £29 if you take the 4am crossing. A key issue for us is being able to travel by bus or train easily from the camp site.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
God your such a clubber

:ROFLMAO: Age thing indeed Paul :whatthe: Try phoning them telling your cheapest quote-they promise to beat it by £25 I did it the yr before and the insurers said no could not compete with my quote so I rang CC and told them about the price promise :thumb: Ten mins later I got a call off ins co and they beat it by £25 :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We've been members of both for nearly a year and it's the C&CC that we won't be renewing. Haven't tried any of their sites, so can't comment on them but, when looking for a site where we want to go, the CC sites always seem better placed, or of the quieter type, which with grown up children we prefer. Never had a problem booking a space, which tends to be less than a month beforehand. Yet to try some CL's, but will be this June now that we've established how well our two leisure batteries cope with demand.
Never had any problems with Wardens, never had much to do with them. Book in, write down the key code and that's it. Facilities have always been good and clean.
As for the magazines, haha, well the C&CC has to be the worst that I've read for many a year. It's confused and lightweight. The CC mag is much better, though still full of Caravan Movers ads etc.. MMM is the best of the mags by far for my interests. For technical help, advice and general MH info. stick to the Funsters!
But then there are the ancillary services, especially Breakdown and overseas Travel Insurance. We've had Insurance based UK and European breakdown cover, we've read about and researched ADAC through other's experiences, RAC through our own and others and we've ended up with CC's MayDay and Red Pennant. More expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for and, IMHO the best cover and the most peace of mind is with the CC.............for us. As for Insurance itself, it's amazing how two apparently identical drivers can get totally different quotes from the same company; so there's really no substitute for each driver getting a range of quotes from whatever source.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
C&CC

The is a product that the Caravan Club have that I have found to be good value. The combined personal and breakdown cover is cheaper than (when it was available) extending a Fiat Camper cover with the personal cover thrown in.

I told them every ongoing medical treatment and issue that I have and they accepted them all with full cover, no other company has ever done that.

Phil

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Correction

I have been following people's views on this thread, and wish to add a couple of corrections to a post my lady wife made earlier.

I first joined the C.C. in 1979 at the tender age of 31 (you do the maths) my membership number then was 4175761 not the four or five digit number herself implied!!

So big thankyou to Jaws for his kind remarks!! (Not) I would like to remind him that I am still not as follically challenged as he is! and also that my waist line is still smaller LOL.

Jenny on the other hand would like to thank him for his kind remarks about her.

We have nevr used them for insurance or travel arrangements so cannot comment.

I do think the C.C. do need to look at the way people block book club sites at the beginning of the year though as getting on some of the more popular sites in the middle of the year is nigh immpossible if you just turn up, made even worse by the number of empty pitches visible from reception that have been pre-booked and not cancelled, I suppose that is a whole new thread in its own right though.

Happy motorhoming

Pete

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
my 2p worth is: we were members of both CC & C&CC for a few years, however this year I am not rejoining CC. Their rules are not for me, I like a relaxed time when I'm away not a regimented one! Yes they do have lovely sites but there are alot of non CC sites out there waiting to be found, and I do find there tariffs a bit pricey.
Only ever stayed on one CC site and furthermore I have never used any of their services, so basically I was paying £42 for nothing
wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

In there defence thou the lady was very curtious and helpful on the phone when i made my intentions known.

Andrea

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
my 2p worth is: we were members of both CC & C&CC for a few years, however this year I am not rejoining CC. Their rules are not for me, I like a relaxed time when I'm away not a regimented one! Yes they do have lovely sites but there are alot of non CC sites out there waiting to be found, and I do find there tariffs a bit pricey.
Only ever stayed on one CC site and furthermore I have never used any of their services, so basically I was paying £42 for nothing
wouldn't do for us all to be the same.

In there defence thou the lady was very curtious and helpful on the phone when i made my intentions known.

Andrea

Not being picky - just curious how you know they are regimented and not for you if you've only ever stayed on one site?

I love the CC sites and have just spent the afternoon planning our September trip to Dorset staying on their sites. Never had any bad experiences with their staff either.

No, they aren't cheap but I know what standard to expect when I get there.

The C & CC are far more regimented in as much as they tell you which pitch you will park on.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Not being picky - just curious how you know they are regimented and not for you if you've only ever stayed on one site?

I love the CC sites and have just spent the afternoon planning our September trip to Dorset staying on their sites. Never had any bad experiences with their staff either.

No, they aren't cheap but I know what standard to expect when I get there.

QUOTE]

We have to agree. Tried the C & CC for a year but for us their sites weren't up to the same standard as the CC. I know that this must be total anathema to some but I must point out that we prefer proper sites to CLs or rally fields. That's our choice and as such the CC suits us fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back