Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, if you can afford it go for Michelins. I just took some of my hymer, they were 13 years old and done 50,000 miles, they looked perfect.

I wanted to replace them with Michelins but could not afford it. John (Champers other half) sourced me some decent Avons as a replacement. They are very good, but I doubt they'll last as long an the Michelins.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
PM, Brianjojosh on here or RVOC, Dave...

He deals in all sorts and will give you unbiased honest opinion...

What he doesn`t know about tyres aint worth knowing... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Tyres

Is there any preference to makes?

Just wondering...

Jim is absolutely right you wont beat michelin but they are expensive.what size are they.if you pm me your no.i will call you:thumb:
brian jo and josh

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Brian

I dont think I need any at the mo, I am just making sure that I have the info when I do.

I think the van tyres could be 3 years old and I was informed that you have to change them every few years.

So the French make good tyres. I wonder why they all rave about Michelin?

Van base unit Fiat Ducatto 2003

Cheers

ShiftZZ

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Michelin make tyres in Stoke and have done since 1905.
I worked for Michelin for a few years and they are a company that does a lot of research into tyre technology.
They are expensive but they are the best. What Michelin do today other tyre makers will try to copy tomorrow.

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots made in ireland as well . had a big plant there in the 70,s .i imagine its still there. can say i,m not and never have been impressed with avon tyres . mind the wide oval tyres sold by them years ago was a good one.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I forgot Ballymena (Truck and Bus) and Dundee (Car)

Just trying to point out that whilst the parent company is French, lots of the tyres are made in the UK.

Pete:Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes many companies have been global for alot of years . i also worked for michelin for awhile. i,m not alover of their tyres though. for vans i dont think there was or is abetter tyre than uniroyal max t2,s .shame they stopped making them years ago. hard wearing good grip.certainly i have never found a better tyre.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
CP or C

Do I have to fit CP (Camping) tyres or is it OK to fit C (Commercial) tyres to my A/S. At present I have CP's fitted but will need 2 new ones in about 6 months and CP are quite expensive:Eeek:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyres

Hi Brian

I dont think I need any at the mo, I am just making sure that I have the info when I do.

I think the van tyres could be 3 years old and I was informed that you have to change them every few years.

So the French make good tyres. I wonder why they all rave about Michelin?

Van base unit Fiat Ducatto 2003

Cheers

ShiftZZ
hi shiftZZ if they are only 3 years old you will have plenty of life left in them,i try to advize people to change at about 6 years old.:winky:a waste of time talking about prices now ring me in 3 yrs:roflmto:
brian jo and josh:thumb: p.s. michelin are without doubt the best tyre but there are many mid-range tyres the are perfectly ok for motorhomes

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Do I have to fit CP (Camping) tyres or is it OK to fit C (Commercial) tyres to my A/S. At present I have CP's fitted but will need 2 new ones in about 6 months and CP are quite expensive:Eeek:

hi there yes as others have said it is perfectly ok to fit commercial van tyres to a motorhome:thumb:there are many good quality mid-range tyres that are more than capable of doing the job.one name that springs to mind is Hankook,an excellent quality tyre:thumb:
regards brian jo and josh

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got round black rubber ones on mineLink Removed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
the best tyres

This tyre thing is like most subjects lots of different opinions from different people.
I have always believed that Mitchelin tyres were great for distance giving far more miles than other tyres, in some cases the walls would fail whilst still having mot passable tread, though they didn`t grip or break so good in the wet.
All this due to them having a harder compound, hence them wearing so well.

On the other hand Continental and Avons weren`t so good mileage wise but had superior grip in the wet.

This is a table of a recent test showing how tyres performed in the wet, personally I would always go for how safe a tyre was rather than how many miles I got from it.

Wet Braking
from 80Kph (50mph)

Metres Extra distance Speed when top tyre has stopped
Conti Vanco 31.9 0 0 Kph 0 mph
Conti Vanco Four Seasons
32.8 +3%
Matador MPS 115
35.7 +12%
Hankook RA 08
37.2 +17% 30 Kph 19 mph
Michelin XC Camping 39.8 +25% 35 Kph 22 mph
Michelin Agilis 101 41.5 +30%
Goodyear Cargo G 91 42.7 +34%
Bridgestone R 294 48.9 +53% 47 Kph 29 mph

The Continental out braked the Michenlin tyre by +25 that`s some safety appeal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back