Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
can anyone tell me what is involved in buying a used vehicle in southern ireland and bringing it back to england ? i recently looked into importing from germany and the process seemed remarkably straightforward [with temp plates /ins etc ] but what about the emerald isle ?. is there a v5 , would it stay on its irish reg plates till i register it here ,do they have road tax and mot"s , my insurance permits me to drive any vehicle [valid throughout europe as far as i know ! ] so would that be ok for the drive back to the ferry ? can irish vehicles be checked for outstanding finance /damage etc [ie like a hpi check here] ? thanks garry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Importing from Southern Ireland, same rules apply for all EU countries ..

Some useful information,

5. I wish to import a right hand drive vehicle into England / Scotland / Wales from either the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man

Please see item 01 above.
Link Removed

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
can anyone tell me what is involved in buying a used vehicle in southern ireland and bringing it back to england ? i recently looked into importing from germany and the process seemed remarkably straightforward [with temp plates /ins etc ] but what about the emerald isle ?. is there a v5 , would it stay on its irish reg plates till i register it here ,do they have road tax and mot"s , my insurance permits me to drive any vehicle [valid throughout europe as far as i know ! ] so would that be ok for the drive back to the ferry ? can irish vehicles be checked for outstanding finance /damage etc [ie like a hpi check here] ? thanks garry

Read your insurance document carefully - most insurance policies only allow you to drive other vehicles not owned by you or hired to you and I think you will find it only gives you the very very basic of legal cover - It was always explained to me by insurers that this cover is to allow you to move vehicles in an emergency ie that might be blocking you in etc. without breaking the law - not an alternative to proper insurance. Therefore if you had an accident you would be liable for all your own costs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i have a motor traders policy and this gives me cover for any vehicle [ business use or pleasure] wether i own it or not.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You can always get cover on the chassis number

Your own insurance company should insure you on the chassis number ... so it is a case of if you do the deal, call the insurance company back in the UK and they will put the vehicle on cover for the bring it back ... I insured my RV on the chassis number until it was registered.

But you do need to do some running around to get the MOT done, again on chassis number and when the motor home has been registered and VAT paid if it is near new and under the mileage given in the regs... cannot remember .. think it was about 6,000 klm and age.. but once that is all paid, MOT done then you register it.. you then have to get a set of plates made and DVLA then changes the original MOT to the registration ...you then give the insurance company the new registration number... not hard to do.. just means running about a bit in the first couple of weeks....

Remember to check the lighting as the MOT is the same as a new vehicle requirements.

Bob

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks for the replies guys. its not really the registering process here that i"m not sure about its more the logbook /mot/roadtax situation actually in ireland that i dont know anything about .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
BE VERY CAREFUL BUYING IN SOUTHERN IRELAND!

Seriously, there are large numbers of stolen motorhomes in southern ireland and their system of checking is woefully inadequate. There are cases where the guarda have found stolen vans with false plates but because of legislation have had to leave it with the current keeper.

If you speak to anyone informed on the situation, either from an insurance company or police, you will be shocked with what goes on. A couple of years ago it was estimated that if a newish motorhome got stolen in the uk overnight, by next lunchtime it would be in southern ireland on false plates. This accounting for over 60% of thefts from memory, with many of the others heading for southern europe

If you do choose to buy from southern ireland, check the van thouroughly and do a hpi check on the chassis number in uk. Always check thouroughly any receipts or history and retain for your records. Most of all, if something seems odd to you walk away

Just to proove what I am saying, do a google search:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back