Disabled scooters stay the same (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
After a year plus of review (I took part in the review) HM Government has concluded that nothing changes regarding disabled scooters.. the limit on weight on a class II is to go up to 151 kgs up to 4 mph... but class III stays the same (8 mph).. the class III still requires a road tax and registration document (tax is free) and in future they will look at some areas such as an eye sight test, reflect jackets and reflective markings on the class III scooter.. but for the time being no changes.

Class 1 for info is a wheelchair that is pushed.

Bob:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never knew it was so complex Bob .. almost as bad as A frame laws.. :roflmto:

Out of interest, are class III allowed on footpaths .. ?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Never knew it was so complex Bob .. almost as bad as A frame laws.. :roflmto:

Out of interest, are class III allowed on footpaths .. ?

Jim... A frame law is simple.. it is illegal

Now disabled scooters it is all set out in black and white and again is law, again simple.. I have road tax on my scooter and a Q number plate.. when in Holland I am required to have said number plate.. I comply with the local regulations and take the time and trouble to make sure I know the requirements of the country I am visiting.. I do not like some stick my head in the sand and say the Spanish law (or whatever European country involved ) do not apply to me... I am British, Welsh or Scottish and I can do my own thing.

It is very simple Jim.. accept that when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Simples.......

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
But, are they allowed on the pavements?

Craig

Yes, but must be regulated to 4mph maximum. All class III scooters have a button to select between slow 4mph and road 8mph

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m toying with getting one of these..

But I will have to buy five (5) units...

Anyone want one cheap.. :Cool:::bigsmile:

http://uk.alibaba.com/product/466340134-double-seats-electric-mobility-scooter-with.html

And before any one say`s they are not up to uk standards....

There are some that meet`s EU criteria.

Want one Bob..??? :winky:
:Cool:

I used to work for a shopmobility centre, and we looked into getting some double scooters to rent out. We soon decided that there were some serious drawbacks with them and they were not fit for purpose. The weight limit was one factor and the reliability, as observed from theme park operators that had tried them made them unviable

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I used to work for a shopmobility centre, and we looked into getting some double scooters to rent out. We soon decided that there were some serious drawbacks with them and they were not fit for purpose. The weight limit was one factor and the reliability, as observed from theme park operators that had tried them made them unviable

Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you look at them.. ??

I spoke to a guy last week who had one for him and his wife and he thought they were brilliant.. (The one he had anyway)...

I thought the build quality and finish was superb... Looked exactly the same as my lads Armchair on wheels as I call it... Comfy twist and slide seat.. and the plastic body was rubust and not wafer thin.. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
around 3 to 4 years ago, and yes they look good hence why a few places like alton towers bought some. Big mistake though as they didnt stand up to the use they got and the motors wore out quickly, Basically a scooter in those circumstances gets the equivalent of the average lifetimes usage in a few weeks, or possibly up to 2 months. In the case I referred to, they broke down every couple of days and required the chassis repairing several times. The length of them makes them weak in the middle and they break their backs as it were.

Another point is transporting them in a vehicle requires a very big estate car or a van. If they let you down at the side of the road, it takes more than a phonecall to somebody with a car to come collect it

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You make some good points

around 3 to 4 years ago, and yes they look good hence why a few places like alton towers bought some. Big mistake though as they didnt stand up to the use they got and the motors wore out quickly, Basically a scooter in those circumstances gets the equivalent of the average lifetimes usage in a few weeks, or possibly up to 2 months. In the case I referred to, they broke down every couple of days and required the chassis repairing several times. The length of them makes them weak in the middle and they break their backs as it were.

Another point is transporting them in a vehicle requires a very big estate car or a van. If they let you down at the side of the road, it takes more than a phonecall to somebody with a car to come collect it

You make some good points.. the chassis is very long and the front seat just looks like an added item.. the original seat over the motor and batteries seems as it should be but the one now the person controlling the scooter looks a bit flimsy ...... the issue of the size of the motor comes in to play.. on my scooter I have a 550 watt motor.. my old one had two 400w .. I have had this scooter designed up to 24 stone for about 4 years and that was second hand.. done well over 1,000 miles on it.. had to change the batteries and the tires are getting tired now. I have looked at some new ones.. £4,500 boy are they nice.... bought this one 18 months old little use for £700.00 they devalue like a brick going into water.. or buying a motorhome...

But I suspect the chassis will be the issue. I have had the weld snap under my seat and that caused me to be pitched into the road.. I was hurt... I had it re welded by my own garage and they thought the original welds were poor in various places.

But would be interested to see how Mo gets on.

Bob

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There is a couple near to me who have a 2 seater model, they seem to get everywhere.
Generally hubby 'drives' it and wifey gets out and goes in when they arrive at shops.
Seems to be substantially made and has a good range.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
have seen some where a mobility scooter with a double seat side by side, can't think where off the top of my head, seems more friendly than sitting one behind the other and lessens the problem of them breaking in the middle.
having two on board though is going to shorten the distance from each charge i would have thought though, unless much heavier duty batteries are put on.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
there is a legal limit on the weight of the scooter

I think if the scooter is a class 3 side by side it would break the rules on the weight (max) that they can be.. plus where on our payment could you use it? it is more like a golf buggy than a disabled scooter.

Have seen them.. not impressed.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Disabled type scooter needs to be limited to 8 mph

Same website, saw this rather impressive looking trike:

http://uk.alibaba.com/product/464939009-Powerful-3-wheels-electric-mobility-scooter.html

Says its max speed is 20 k/ph (12.5 mph) - would that be legal in the UK?

A class 3 mobility scooter has to be limited to 8 mph... class 2 is 4 mph.. there are weight requirements. This item is much like some of the electric scooters we have seen at shows.. they full under a different requirement to disabled type... saw a 3 wheel unit like that one at Lincoln last year.

But to be classed as disabled (has to be registered now.. has a disabled road tax and a Q number plate ..like mine) ... other wise it would need to meet the requirements of the RTA

Bob

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
Same website, saw this rather impressive looking trike:

http://uk.alibaba.com/product/464939009-Powerful-3-wheels-electric-mobility-scooter.html

Says its max speed is 20 k/ph (12.5 mph) - would that be legal in the UK?

yes, thats legal if registered and (free) taxed as i understand it..
and one doesn't have to larrap along at that speed of course.

looks similar to the TGA Breeze S3

http://www.tgamobility.co.uk/product/breeze-s3

and the new Tramper TWS

http://www.tramper.co.uk/three-wheel-scooter.php

I really, really want the tramper utility..
dear santa, yes, i know it's very early in the year yet, but i will promise to be a very good girl if this pops down my chimney come december..or earlier if you see fit..:winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes very nice but no price

looks similar to the TGA Breeze S3

http://www.tgamobility.co.uk/product/breeze-s3

and the new Tramper TWS

http://www.tramper.co.uk/three-wheel-scooter.php

I really, really want the tramper utility..
dear santa, yes, i know it's very early in the year yet, but i will promise to be a very good girl if this pops down my chimney come december..or earlier if you see fit..:winky:

Very nice item.. but they do not give the price without filling in a registration form and I will not do that

Bob

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp

actually, thinking about that a little bit more and what i said, am not exactly certain if 12mph is allowed, i'm sure i read that it was, but i will check again..
however i'm sure the speed could be limited somehow and lowered down to 8 to conform to current regs..

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
8 mph is the max

actually, thinking about that a little bit more and what i said, am not exactly certain if 12mph is allowed, i'm sure i read that it was, but i will check again..
however i'm sure the speed could be limited somehow and lowered down to 8 to conform to current regs..

8 miles per hour is the max on a class 3 and a class 2 is 4 miies per hour

and for this that want to know what a class one does MPH? it is dependant on who is pushing you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back