Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hi All

Does anybody know if you can park motorhomes at Heathrow T5?

I have to travel with work the week before I have my first full weekend away with the van planned. Rather than have to drive back home from Heathrow when I land, to pick up the van, then drive back the way I came, and arrive quite late in the evening - I was thinking I could drive the van to Heathrow, leave it there for a couple of days, and go straight off when I land.

Is there any restriction that anyone knows of at T5 parking - as it's for work, I'll be able to use T5 Business parking (I love those pods!)

I'm only a relatively small motorhome, and the car park restrictions state no trailers, but no mention of motorhomes....

Anyone have any experience of this? Ta!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes there are height barriers on T5

Hi All

I have to travel with work the week before I have my first full weekend away with the van planned. Rather than have to drive back home from Heathrow when I land, to pick up the van, then drive back the way I came, and arrive quite late in the evening - I was thinking I could drive the van to Heathrow, leave it there for a couple of days, and go straight off when I land.

Is there any restriction that anyone knows of at T5 parking - as it's for work, I'll be able to use T5 Business parking (I love those pods!)

I'm only a relatively small motorhome, and the car park restrictions state no trailers, but no mention of motorhomes....

Do not know about long term parking, but T5 short term has height barriers. Long term is a fair way from the terminal and they use a bus service or little shuttles..

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi All

Yes indeed you can, I use it regularly. It is on the ground floor of the car park and is well signposted on the way in but drive slowly or you will miss it and have to go around again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi All

Sorry just read your post again, this car park could work out expensive for a couple of days, it is short term.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that short term is not for larger motorhomes

Sorry just read your post again, this car park could work out expensive for a couple of days, it is short term.

Buttons that T5 short term is not suitable for motorhomes as such.. it is OK for your VW size... but I have had to deal with ticketing issues for clients re limos in that car park and I think motor homes will have a problem.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons that T5 short term is not suitable for motorhomes as such.. it is OK for your VW size... but I have had to deal with ticketing issues for clients re limos in that car park and I think motor homes will have a problem.
Bob
Thanks Bob not sure if it will or wont, are we talking about the same car park it is below the normal short stay cars parking and as far as I know not restricted but I will stand to be corrected.:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I will check it next time there

Thanks Bob not sure if it will or wont, are we talking about the same car park it is below the normal short stay cars parking and as far as I know not restricted but I will stand to be corrected.:Blush:

I will check it next time I am there.. I tend to park in the disabled parking which is up a level ...

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I will check it next time I am there.. I tend to park in the disabled parking which is up a level ...
Bob
I think you are right, the perimeter long term parking will be best using the shuttle bus. Out of interest, if I am out for a wiz this week I will have a deco at the ground floor park.:thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
last time I was there it was about 2m clearance in the car parks I used, OK for my VW T5, plenty of headroom in places like the roof but its the ramps.

You would need plenty of cash for the pay machine:thumb:

Dave

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is what I thought

last time I was there it was about 2m clearance in the car parks I used, OK for my VW T5, plenty of headroom in places like the roof but its the ramps.

You would need plenty of cash for the pay machine:thumb:

Dave

Dave that is what I thought.. Buttons VW would get under, but not a normal motor home.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Dave that is what I thought.. Buttons VW would get under, but not a normal motor home.
Bob
Not quite correct. T5 short stay without high restriction is a different area from the T5 car short stay. It doesn't have any slopes and will take vehicles some what higher than my wee T5. It has separate entry that is below the car short stay car park and sigh-posted as parking without height restriction.:rain:

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I just phoned T5 parking to ask.

The quite helpful call centre told me that long term would probably be best, neither Long or Business have height restrictions, but Business is a bit tight. but he couldn't tell me for certain as he wasn't actually at the airport, so forwarded me to heathrow parking...

i was half-expecting the inquisition about how big it is, and maybe having to buy 2 spaces blah blah.

Nope. The not entirely helpful guy just said 'welllll, there ain't no height restriction at long stay, an ar buses get in awright, so should be fine mate'.

so i figure I have asked the airport, I've been told it's fine, so all is good. I think.

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
I know some time has passed since the OP but

I can highly recommend Purple Parking in Southall, just down the road from Heathrow Airport. They offer a shuttle bus service into the terminals on a frequent basis and will always have your car/van parked just outside their offices when you collect. They also offer long term MH storage but I've never used it.

Hope this helps.

Richard

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Thanks Richard - that's definitely worth bearing in mind for next time. I used to use Purple Parking a lot with the car, although I found that the time to pick up was becoming longer and longer so tend to use official heathrow parking now.

but I never thought of Purple Parking for the van - useful to know!

My T5 long stay experience worked out ok. I parked towards the furthest end (zones D/E) where it was a little more empty. The best spot I found was on the ends of the rows where there's a load of yellow hashing to allow the buses to swing by - there's a single space, so no-one can park behind you or to one side leaving plenty of room to pull out, and the hashing is ideal for hanging your arse over.

(just so long as one of the buses doens't clobber your front end as it goes by)

All was fine when I got back (and it was great to be able to take a leak in your own vehicle after clearing passportport control and collecting bags and getting the car park bus over ::bigsmile: )

The only issue I had was on leaving - the wider bus exit lane which I had planned to use, once I got to the barrier the ticket machine was out of order. So I reversed out and used the skinnier car version. Barely fitted the width, and folded the wing mirrors in, with my side door open so I could lean down and put my ticket in. Somehow clobbered the lock mechanism on the open door as I passed through the open barrier. Not sure what on - the wing mirrors are still the widest part when folded in and they passed through ok. just cosmetic damage to the plastic casing around the lock but a bit annoying.

Sod's law that the only exit I wanted was out of order!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Just a thought- Is Heathrow within the LEZ, it looks like it is on the map on their website. If so is your van compliant could be expensive if not.

Lunarman

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
ah bollocks. never even considered that!

oh well, I was driving to heathrow for work, so if I get charged I can at least try and expense it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back