additional lock (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm thinking about fitting an additional lock on the habitation door. As I have said before on previous threads the bottom of the door sticks out a little bit and I have noticed a bit of wind noise from it. It does sit better with the new bottom hinge though. I am thinking about a lock that is a key from the outside and a turn lever on the inside. I would be looking for this to hold the door in tight so it fills the frame like it is meant to. I think it is a better option than just messing about until the door is a better fit as it also improves security. Looking for suggestions as to the lock to use, preferably easy to fit, and whether or not I am doing something that is not really wise.
Thanks

Gordon

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you are thinking of fitting an internal lock either in the door frame or habitation door, I would leave well alone, it is not a job for D.I.Y.

Peter

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i used to work on the thief's thought of if it has more than standard locks there is something inside worth the effort of breaking in for.
therefore i never put additional locks on any of my work vans (when i had them before).

maybe if its just the bottom of the hab door i would try and use something that can only be opened from the inside but fit one at the top too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
i used to work on the thief's thought of if it has more than standard locks there is something inside worth the effort of breaking in for.
therefore i never put additional locks on any of my work vans (when i had them before).

maybe if its just the bottom of the hab door i would try and use something that can only be opened from the inside[HI] but fit one at the top too.[/HI]

Agree with this part could add twisting effect and make matters worse without.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think you need to beef it up

There is a gap.. or was a gap between the door frame and our door on the tall rear out side locker.. I had to jemmy it open once when something dropped down and james the key .. now enclosed so it cannot happen again.. I added metal strips to the frame in the inside of the jam so it made it much hard to get anything in to force it open...

Because it looks easy to open, doe not mean you should invite theft.

Today I spent £36 on locked for my trailer wheels.. cost me a lot more to buy new rims and tyres if so light fingered person wanted to jack it up and nick the wheels.. so I have made it less attractive.

I agree with Peter JCM you may find it is a job for an expert.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back