Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We've got 10 days to play with at the beginning of October, we would like to go somewhere warm, but don't want to be driving too much, any ideas or thoughts where to head for, thanks in advance.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
End of the season

We've got 10 days to play with at the beginning of October, we would like to go somewhere warm, but don't want to be driving too much, any ideas or thoughts where to head for, thanks in advance.

Evenin France it is the end of the season,lots of the sites closing later part of October.

With 10 days you would not have long even if you head South.. A hard drive and you could be in the South..2 days each way....

Nice site is Sommierres ... Old old town near Montpelier ..they stay open to late October .. Owned by Castiles group.. Has a heated pool... Been a few times.. Great town with in walking distance .. Bike hire onsite .. Good bike trail... Lot to see I area. P.m. If you want more info..

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with Bob..

10days is too short to get to the south of France for a break, the north has similar weather to our south coast, Oct can be cold and wet..

On a trip back from Spain we were in Brittany in Sep and it was bleak .. rain, gales and cold.. got back to Dover and it was quite warm..

Personally I would stay in the UK, not worth the expense for such a short break with little chance of better weather, unless you want to spend half of it driving ..

Also remember, most French sites close at the end of August .. but not a hardship, there are plenty of aires..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Could be OK still anywhere south of the Loire. Problem is 'could' is the operative word and you have no guarantees at that time of year.We have had some lovely weeks in October in the Dordogne but also some wet ones.:RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have given some info by p.m.

There is a Castilles site 5 stars site in Somminaries in the South near Monpelier and it closed late October.. 850 miles from my are in Tunbridge Wells in Kent.. is doable in two days hard drive.. I tend not to use motorways and drive a lot at night. only do the mountains in the day time.. what views.

Bob

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
October is usually Ok here--Dordogne. Still warmish, not usually too wet. I've had visitors staying in October half term and they've needed sun cream and sun hats.
Why not try the Charente, near the waterways ? Or a bit further south into the Dordogne? Nontron, Brantome, Bourdeilles are very pretty with riverside camping and chateaux, castles etc..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I'le de Re - near to La Rochelle - was glorious last September / early October. We stayed on the ACSI site in Saint Martin which is a good base for a quiet and relaxing holiday. Great cycle tracks and interesting town with good walks.
:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
October is usually Ok here--Dordogne. Still warmish, not usually too wet. I've had visitors staying in October half term and they've needed sun cream and sun hats.
Why not try the Charente, near the waterways ? Or a bit further south into the Dordogne? Nontron, Brantome, Bourdeilles are very pretty with riverside camping and chateaux, castles etc..

I agree with Hollyberry...all the places Hollyberry has mentioned above are brill .......We have had lots of good weather south of the loire in October, November.....Just a few pics of different years...All late October /November:thumb: The temps taken at different places.

I would never say to you the weather is always BAD at certain months in certain places in France... as this is NOT true...you never know from one year /month /week/day/ to the next what you will have??????....also you are in a Motorhome......MOVE... when the weather is bad in one place go to somewhere that it is good...that is what we do !!!!...you are not in a static...Mmmmmm ...unless you are already booked in a campsite ..THEN !!!! lump it....go on Aires move when you like to where you like ....easy

Attachments

• french trip October 2009 838.jpg
    french trip October 2009 838.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 28
  • french trip October 2009 925.jpg
    french trip October 2009 925.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 28
  • PA110020.jpg
    PA110020.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 27
  • french trip October 2009 726.jpg
    french trip October 2009 726.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 28
  • french trip October 2009 807.jpg
    french trip October 2009 807.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with Hollyberry....We have had lots of good weather south of the loire in October, November.....Just a few pics of different years...All late October /November:thumb: The temps taken at different years and places

A few more pics....
The Date's on the photo's are for when we Started the trip...not the date the photo's were taken..most photo' posted are taken in November

Attachments

• french trip October 2009 804.jpg
    french trip October 2009 804.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 21
  • french trip October 2009 786.jpg
    french trip October 2009 786.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 24
  • french trip November 2009 909.jpg
    french trip November 2009 909.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I'le de Re - near to La Rochelle - was glorious last September / early October. We stayed on the ACSI site in Saint Martin which is a good base for a quiet and relaxing holiday. Great cycle tracks and interesting town with good walks.
:thumb:

OOH yes..we stayed there at the same site couple of years ago..smashing place:Cool:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It was excellent in Ile de Re

We were also there in 2010 - 16-18 October and it was very nice - not beach weather but we had Sunday lunch outside in the sun at La Flotte, best meal we had in a month!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We've trundled down to spain sometimes & got the ferry back from Bilbao or Santander. That cuts the mileage and isn't much dearer taking fuel into account.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
loire atlantique is where i would recomend at that time of year. just north of la baule down to la rochelle is usually nice .
i think november is the atch you out month . can be very wet and windy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back