Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I hate the word camping as I always associate it with tents etc ( which I also dislike ),
so the question is, is are Motorhome trips really camping or not ?.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wikipaedia

'Camping may involve the use of a tent, caravan, motorhome, cabin, a primitive structure, or no shelter at all. In many parts of the world[where?], 'camping' refers exclusively to the use of tents or similar portable structures'

So according to them it might be.

I always think of camping as being rugged and outdoor types enjoying the hardship, so I don't really think I am camping at all. :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
With all the facilities on board such as electric lights,fridges,showers and heating is should be called Glamping!
However if you went straight into motorhoming and not used a tent perhaps it should be called Wimping

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
My old boss used to say that staying in anything that had less than 3 stars above the door is technically camping:Smile:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
there's a pub in town where camping means something entirely different (i'm told). but holidays in our m/home are far better than the camping trips our dad used to take us on in the 60's in our ex army tent and meths stove etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Camping is what poor people do in tents, you know the kind, live on a council estate, don't work, shop at Primark, eat packet food and wear track suits and the obligatory football shirt.

Now us more discerning high class people with motor homes are not camping and shouldn't be associated with the riffraff, so in my mind I'm motorhoming.

Keep camping and tents for the poor people.:thumb:

A more serious point is, should we allow them on the same field as us?

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
First question the Missus always asks ' have we got EHU ?' if not according to her
we are camping, how she works this out in a 33' RV with 600ah battery bank + 5.5kw genny I don't know :Doh:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Of course it's camping. Of a more refined nature I agree. To call it anything else is pretentious. Be proud of camping.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
If you have a camper van you're camping in a van. If you have a motorhome you're motoring in a home. Works for me!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
If you have a camper van you're camping in a van. If you have a motorhome you're motoring in a home. Works for me!

Okay, I confess!!! I've been known to use the term "tintenting". Probably a fair description of my situation. There are some sophisticated tents thoufg aren't there? Particularly of the trailer tent variety.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
it is a word that covers what all of us do be it in what ever form from tents to RVs to Yurts/log cabins.
most sites are classed as camping sites unless you only use the cc network then they are called caravan sites.
in europe though you can use motorhome/campervan aires

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
camp/kamp/
Noun:
A place with temporary accommodations of huts, tents, or other structures, typically used by soldiers, refugees, prisoners, or travelers

the act of being in, or using, a camp is 'camping' so, yes, motorhoming is camping.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Camping is what poor people do in tents, you know the kind, live on a council estate, don't work, shop at Primark, eat packet food and wear track suits and the obligatory football shirt.

Now us more discerning high class people with motor homes are not camping and shouldn't be associated with the riffraff, so in my mind I'm motorhoming.

Keep camping and tents for the poor people.:thumb:

Sweeping generalisations, Tut.

I shop at Primark (hate spending money on clothes that I could spend on something more interesting) and I don't work (retired).

I draw the line at tracksuits and football shirts though :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

long before the tin tent and gin palace brigade, camping sites were for campers.. ie .. tents.

So this question is arse about face ..

ie ... should campers allow VANS on camping sites ... ?

well, way back, the tin tenters wanted to be exclusive so set up their own club with their own sites and barred tents...yes, the good ol' CC .. can't have the riff raff spoiling our sundowners now can we chaps..

so I say, if your not in a tent you aint camping .. your just living in a mobile prefab

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back