Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Once I get my motorhome after September this year, I will eventually make my way to Portugal where my wife and I have a home. We plan to do our trips from our base there. I was wondering how long I can keep my UK plates? Can I retain them if I make visits back to the UK? I will retain a postal address in the UK. Your thoughts and advice are very welcome.

Roge & Teri :thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
LegalyI think you can only keep it outside uk for six months. You would need a uk address & continueous UK MoT & insurance. You would need to keep ferry tickets as proof of return visits.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
LegalyI think you can only keep it outside uk for six months. You would need a uk address & continueous UK MoT & insurance. You would need to keep ferry tickets as proof of return visits.

I agree........but a lot don't:Doh:...I you are now living in another european country for more than 6 months you then have to become resident of the country you now live in ???:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I agree........but a lot don't:Doh:...I you are now living in another european country for more than 6 months you then have to become resident of the country you now live in ???:Doh:

Still living in the UK for now. Plan to live full time in Portugal within the next 18 months. Looks like I mightkeep plates and insurance for 6 months then re-register and insure from Portugal.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I see from your profile that you don't have a motorhome yet. If importing a motorhome into Portugal is anything like Spain you may need to reconsider how you are going to achieve what you want.

Can only comment as far as Spain is concerned but there you are faced with endless steps and considerable expense to get it re-registered there, I am not even sure if you can import a right hand drive one.

Would strongly suggest that next time you are in Portugal you make enquiries about the practicalities of importing and also insurance issues, might be a lot easier and cheaper to buy on there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
come on JJ get out of bed!!!!!!! hee hee

Our people in Portugal will be along shortly with all the correct information having gone through the process himself. I'm guessing it must be a LHD and also all the while it is on UK plates you will need not only MOT and insurance but also valid road tax.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I imported my Hymer to Portugal... it was on UK plates at the time... I had to get it tested... here the tests go from the date of first registration despite the date you test it... so a new "inspection" only lasts until the next anniversary of the first registration... I have to have the test every 6 months because it is over 3,500 kilos...

then a lot of paperwork was done and I had to pay quite a lot... about €800 I think...

Just about to start the process with the Wagon...:Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

It should have read "IF" you are now living in a European Country...sorry missed the "F":Doh: whoops Mel:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back