Alu-Fibre bodywork, any known issues? (1 Viewer)

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
I've noticed in the latest Rapido catalogue that the entire 70+ range of vehicles has been discontinued after only 2 years of production. These are the vehicles constructed with Alu-Fibre bodywork. We purchased the 7096+ version in 2009, but I have noticed that every locker and the habitation doors are suffering from corrosion where water gathers at their lower edges (see photo). Brownhills have taken photographs today and say they will take the issue up with Rapido, but I am not confident that I will get a successful outcome. Has anyone else come across this problem or is anyone aware of any issues with Alu-Fibre construction?
Geoff.Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
What a result!!!

Well, well, well, this morning I have received a call from Graham at Brownhills NE and all of a sudden the sun is shining, the birds are singing and everything in the garden looks rosey. Graham has informed me that Rapido have agreed to replace all locker and habitation doors at their expense. A massive thankyou to Brownhills and to Rapido, customer service at it's absolute best.
A Very Happy Geoff.:thanks2::coolthumb::loveyou::party2::yeah::clap::sin:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Damn, just when i was about to slag em off:Doh:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as witrh all of the body constructions they all have their downfall.
bit like the delamination of some constructions .
i dont know of the perfect solution.
i have red doors as watrer ingressed vin the construction of my aluminium doors .remade with plastic coated steel and that seems to be better .must paint it one day.
the gas locker door is waiting to be done .might paint both .
its a difficult question as to which would be the best construction.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Well, well, well, this morning I have received a call from Graham at Brownhills NE and all of a sudden the sun is shining, the birds are singing and everything in the garden looks rosey. Graham has informed me that Rapido have agreed to replace all locker and habitation doors at their expense. A massive thankyou to Brownhills and to Rapido, customer service at it's absolute best.
A Very Happy Geoff.:thanks2::coolthumb::loveyou::party2::yeah::clap::sin:

lets hope they do it for free again in three years time, or are the new ones going to be better/differant? :imoutahere:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
That sounds good news I wonder if they have had many problems with these panels?

Deleted User
My rapido has just come back after having a delamination problem corrected. Although out of warranty it was carried out at no cost, so excellent service from rapido. I would be interested to know if anybody else has had a problem with the area each side of the engine.

spongy

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
get down Hilda and take that rope from round your neck:ROFLMAO: they wont all be like that:Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would say when that construction is ten year old they will all have that problem.
it did seem like a good idea and is still being used but morea nd more delamination is showing its ugly head every year.
its not so bad on trucks as they are worked hard . and get scrapped .but campers are low mileage vehicles that at 10yr we hope still look nice, but many are in for a rough time, i think.
same problem with the glassanit bodies ,looks good when new but get water ingress and they detteriate badly.
rivetted aluminium as its problems but isnt too hard or expensive to replace. the plastic coated stuff seems the way , works well on industrial roof applications .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
i would say when that construction is ten year old they will all have that problem.
it did seem like a good idea and is still being used but morea nd more delamination is showing its ugly head every year.
its not so bad on trucks as they are worked hard . and get scrapped .but campers are low mileage vehicles that at 10yr we hope still look nice, but many are in for a rough time, i think.
same problem with the glassanit bodies ,looks good when new but get water ingress and they detteriate badly.
rivetted aluminium as its problems but isnt too hard or expensive to replace. the plastic coated stuff seems the way , [HI]works well on industrial roof applications[/HI] .

Very good point, it does indeed work very well. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back