Calais to Metz - Toll or Toll Free (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I know this is discussed quite a lot, but what do most people do?

I've looked at 2 possible routes to get to Metz from Calais (en-route to Lake Garda).

One is this one which is the direct route down through France via Reims on the A26 and A4, but has a toll charge of £30(ish);

Broken Link Removed

This other one is through to Lille, across into Belgium, then a quite visit into Lux for a fuel pitstop before back into France and down to Metz. This is toll free, but slightly further in distance and time;

Broken Link Removed

Question is, is it worth it? I can pretty much run the tank down for a refuel in Lux, so that'll be a big saving, the toll free will be a big saving and it's only a few extra miles.

So it's worth it from a money point of view, but the roads? It all looks like, at least, dual carriageway. The thing to bear in mind is that on the way down it'll be a Saturday morning and on the way back, it'll be a Sunday morning so hopefully no working traffic.

Of course, open to offers on any other routes?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The route via Belgium and Luxembourg is dual carriageway all the way (and some motorway) Its also a very simple route to follow, not very scenic though but worth it if you're in a hurry and don't want to spend on tolls.
The two petrol stations on the road in Luxembourg are very busy as you might imagine, be prepared to queue :thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
if you take the lux route, why not use the swiss route, there your just north of milan, you enter Italy via chiasso then use the ss routes to lake guarda, no tolls at all, then return via Austria, germany , luxemborg, a nice round trip, Cheers Alf:thumb:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I am going the Swiss route. Staying at Luzern overnight on the way then we are going the Gotthard Tunnel.

Unfortunatly, we are doing this trip in 10 days, so the quickest route down and back is the key for us.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Have a nice trip, Cheers:thumb:.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's out first extended trip so you can imagine how excited we are.

We've only ever done 2 nights so far, so it's big thing for us!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
In case anyone is interested, this is the new route that we'll be taking.

A: Calais Ferry Terminal (Where we'll be staying overnight after a late night ferry)
B: Service Station in Lux
C: Camp Municipal Metz-Plage - Campsite in Metz
D: Camping International Lido, Luzern - Campsite in Lucerne/Luzern
E: Camping Butterfly - Campsite at Peschiera del Garda (if we can get in)

Broken Link Removed

Excited? You bet I am! :thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
have a great time, and enjoy your trip, your be on the south end of the lake, peschiera there is some great resturants around that part, if you have probs getting in to your chossen camp site, there are plenty more all around the lake, again have a great time cheers Alf:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
You will love it! I went to Lake Iseo last year via Brussels on a Saturday morning and found the Brussels ring road extremely busy, so this year I’ve changed my plan slightly.

Will go via Lille (Friday evening) and stop overnight on the Berchem services (Luxembourg) then next day use motorways to Metz -(toll) - Strasbourg - Colmar - Basel - Luzern - Como - Bergamo (via A4) - Lake Iseo.

I shall stay on a Swiss Motorway Aires Saturday night (near Moleno) and be at Lake Iseo around mid-day Sunday.

My fuel stops will be Dunkerque (3/4), Berchem (brim) Basel (brim) and as the cost of Diesel in Italy is so expensive will probably brim again before crossing Italian border which will get me to Lake Iseo, then the following week onto Lake Garda and finally back to Switzerland before I need to refuel again.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
I am going the Swiss route. Staying at Luzern overnight on the way then we are going the Gotthard Tunnel.

Unfortunatly, we are doing this trip in 10 days, so the quickest route down and back is the key for us.

We are on a similar mission leaving late on the 18th May going to the Motto Guzzi factory near Lake Como then on to Venice and back for the 31st May so will be looking at your journey with interest Craig. :Smile:

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
drove all the way to venice the other year and never paid a toll at all
cost of tolls well paid for the diesil and more

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
That's my thought. However, don't mind paying the £7 for the Metz to Switzerland bit and the little cost in Italy, but saving the £35 (each way) on the Calais to Metz is a big bonus.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
drove all the way to venice the other year and never paid a toll at all
cost of tolls well paid for the diesil and more

That's female logic.

You didn't get a refund for not going on a toll did you, no.

You did not spend more money by not going on tolls.

YOU paid for the diesel.

Had you gone on tolls YOU would have paid for diesel AND tolls.

Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
We'll be doing the same trip in July, through Belgium, Luxembourg down to Metz into Switzerland and onto Lake Garda. We're going to overnight in Germany on the way back in August.
Enjoy your trip
Cam

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Leaving a week on Friday (20th April). :thumb:

We will be doing a Venice trip on one of the days, by train.

The French are not on holiday then, but do allow a little more time on Friday afternoon and Saturday as they are peak shopping days, no Sunday shopping as you may know.

The French are great shoppers over this day and a half each week, it's a bit like taking summer holidays, most do that at the same time too.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The stretch of motorway between N France and Luxembourg is OK but busy and of a similar road quality to British motorways (ie crap), whereas a toll road will be emptier, smoother and a more relaxing drive. The last bit down from Luxembourg down to Metz is quite built up, so might be slow going.

When we took a similar route to Lake Garda we found that Belgian motorway service areas were not well signposted and tend to leap out at you, so keep a careful eye out for them, or maybe programme one into your SatNav as a destination. We missed one and nearly ran out of diesel.

I take it you're aware that you need a pre-paid 'Carnet' for Swiss motorways/tunnels? It's like a nationwide toll sticker that you pay for up front. On the border crossing they check your windscreen for them, and if it's not visible you have to pay there and then which can cause delays. They can be obtained in advance - try Googling.

The transport museum in Luzern is worth a trip - it's so big they give you the option of riding scooters from one exhibition hall to the other.

Lake Garda - we love it. There's a reasonably-priced MH only site (not an aire, more like a campsite) at Torbole (N end of the lake) if you need a back up plan, and that's ideally placed for visiting Riva del Garda, which is worth a look. Only downside is it's a limited stay - it was max 3 days last time we were there. It's well worth visiting Lazise on market day if you like that sort of thing, as the whole town becomes a vast market.

Don't know if you're into theme parks, but Gardaland is one of the best in Europe in our opinion, and it has a free shuttle bus service from nearby towns. Also, the Aqua Paradise water park is mental - a huge laugh. If you go there don't miss [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTO4rh_3Vyk"]Crazy River[/ame]. Nearby there's an eat all you can restaurant themed a bit like the Hard rock Cafe, but for Italian music.

Have a good trip whatever you choose to do - it's one we'll be repeating before too long.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back