Haganaps Invade Germany Advice required (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok, so fancying something different this year for our summer holiday.

Please feel free in Fun style to offer advice if youv'e never been :winky:

So am taking the family to Germany and looking at things to do that might help keep the kids a bit quiet. Looks like being quite an active driving holiday with some city sight seeing.

Here's my plan to start---
Heading over to Luxembourg for a Pizza in my favourite city.
Then- Off to the Nurburgring to let the kids have a trip round the ring with a driver or two, and might even get Nikki a lift round before I go round in the motorhome (im serious) :thumb:

Off to Hassloch to visit a theme park called Holiday park for the day before moving cross country for a bit of a history lesson by visiting Nuremberg.
Following which, the adventure continues by visiting the most Wonderful city of Prague. Having spent a family night out at one or two of the strip clubs I know, It's off to Dresden for a bit more history on how and why Bomber Harris chose this city as his favourite target.
I want to follow this with a trip along to Cologne and or maybe Masstrict to check my euro taxes are up to date :thumb:

Works out at around 1500 miles, for my round trip, Plans are to stop 2 days, travel 1 and we only have about 14 days.

My last trip to Germany was rather ruined by the err Germans or should I say my lack of understanding of their language and my insistance that I speak in French when there because I was on holiday.

So you German lovers, what place(s) in Germany would you insist I visit? I like educational and adventure, canoe hire, climbing, running, cycling, strip clubs, you name it, we will consider it.

Thanks in anticipation.

and no, im not aframing through Germany or going to Italy, It's Germany im interested in :thumb:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Cochem on the Moselle is lovely (or was when I was there in the 80's!). The Moselle is a smaller version of the rhein with a couple of pretty towns along the way. In Trier there are some Roman ruins. Tom used to have a caravan near the Harz mountains lovely area. The campground at Bad Karlshafen was right on the river.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Don't you think it would be better to go somewhere else? :winky:

Maybe Sweden or Latvia... they are nice... :ROFLMAO:

...or you could go to Tenerife by plane and have a disco holiday all in....my cousin's next door neighbour's uncle went there twenty years ago and had a great time... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

(sorry... feeling a bit mischievous today...)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Outside Stuttgart in Neckershulm there is an aire by the leisure centre (borne tokens from the centre) Neckershulm has a NSU museum,not the condition the cars! Any sites near water are very popular with the Germans and are crowded.
Everything closes on Saturday afternoons and all day Sundays. Prague has a lot of city centre sites,some Hotels have sites,we stayed just outside near a ski jump(you should like that one). Good tram service which main routes run all night. Prague is worth more than a few days,I've been twice and are keen to go back. We also stayed at a site outside Prague in Karlstein alongside the river each pitch has fire pit. We cooked sausages in the evening and watched otters on the opposite bank. Beware some Czech charge for filling tanks,but jerry cans are free.Enroute we stayed at a site in Nurmemburg behind the football stadium in wooded parkland,just follow signs to football stadium.
Is your trip after the Bring & Buy if so I have a Czech camping guide you can have?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Köln is a very nice city to visit although it is a biggish city. We still like further South in the Schwarzwald (black forest) some nice small villages all around that area.

Will be in Dresden next week which is also nice but a long way....

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Outside Stuttgart in Neckershulm there is an aire by the leisure centre (borne tokens from the centre) Neckershulm has a NSU museum,not the condition the cars! Any sites near water are very popular with the Germans and are crowded.
Everything closes on Saturday afternoons and all day Sundays. Prague has a lot of city centre sites,some Hotels have sites,we stayed just outside near a ski jump(you should like that one). Good tram service which main routes run all night. Prague is worth more than a few days,I've been twice and are keen to go back. We also stayed at a site outside Prague in Karlstein alongside the river each pitch has fire pit. We cooked sausages in the evening and watched otters on the opposite bank. Beware some Czech charge for filling tanks,but jerry cans are free.Enroute we stayed at a site in Nurmemburg behind the football stadium in wooded parkland,just follow signs to football stadium.
Is your trip after the Bring & Buy if so I have a Czech camping guide you can have?

yes it will be after the Bring and Buy, so far based on what I have read, Im thinking heading straight for the Harz mountains, then on to Prague (great city) for a few days.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
yes it will be after the Bring and Buy, so far based on what I have read, Im thinking heading straight for the Harz mountains, then on to Prague (great city) for a few days.

If you go to Prague then that's only 2hrs on from Dresden, well worth a stop, definitely don't mention the war there:helpsos:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It was once-the zudetenland

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bamberg is a great place, especially if you have any interest in beer. And the riverside cycleways are an excellent way to see the country by bike.

I enjoy Germany - they have a sense of community there that we seem to have lost. And the language is dead easy to pronounce if you have a phrase book.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
dont forget to order your Umwelt pass.

Link Removed

we dont want you getting any nasty fines now do we

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
avoid http://www.happy-mosel.com/de/ (happy mosel day )

This is when they close the roads around the mosel vally towns ( and it seemed half of Germany) then "they" ride around on bikes (getting in the way of us Brits) then they shout abuse at "us Brits" for not knowing that all the roads are closed,

actualy is was fun, most were polite and waved at us, I think they were waving:Eeek:

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
if you would like a great theme park to go to in germany then you should try one of the best parks we have been to

this is europa park at rust but it is probably out of the way for you

you can even stop overnight on their campsite for a couple of nights
you dont have to book you just turn up take a ticket and pay on the way out the next day

really is a very good theme park for everyone
http://www.europapark.com/lang-en/Home/c1174.html

blue fire is excellent

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Romantic Strasse is a nice run, lots of stellplatzes and lovely towns.

The Mosel is a must for wine lovers, you can take a canoe out too! Look up 'bootsrusche' on youtube! They have chutes at the locks especially for canoes! Its just like a log flume!:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Rhudeshiem on the Rhine is nice get cable car up over the vines:thumb:. also go south to Neuschwangau castle ( chitty bang bang castle ) :thumb: and up the Zugspitze at Garmish- patenkirchen:thumb:.
Germans like you to try a bit of the lingo then will be happy to do their best in English.:Doh:.. even if its just hello and good day is all you can manage. beer in Bavaria and on the rhine is one of the best Pilsner i have "Drunk"!!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back