Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I've noticed these on several pictures and wondered if they are a legal requirement in some countries?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've noticed these on several pictures and wondered if they are a legal requirement in some countries?

I assume ypou are talking about the reflective signs with diagonal red & white stripes and reflectors. These should be placed on anything that sticks out the back of the vehicle, such as a bike rack. They are a legal requirement in some countries, but a good idea anyway as draws peoples attention to a possible hazard. They're not specific to motorhomes. A bike rack on a car should have one, also a long load on a roof rack that sticks out beyond the back of the car.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just bought one today as we were in Italy at the weekend, although realized that the Italian and Spanish ones are different:Angry: think I'll be sticking with one and pleading ignorance...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I have also noticed at the circus they spin plates on pointed sticks... is this to keep the food in the centre of the plate:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, no its to flick the food off .bit like standing up on a whurlitzer.(at the fair) or perhaps you never tried .hee hee

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I think its Spain and Italy where they are legally required, there are restrictions on how much the bike rack can protrude, 10% of the vans length ( I think)

I don't normally bother attaching it in the UK. If somone is close enough to get a handlebar in the eye; they're too close:Smile:

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Red and white plates

Hi all I have been following this with interest.some questions I know you folk will know the answers.what is the difference between Italian and Spanish bike rack boards . I was just about to send for a board ( off to Italy) when I read that the Italians want you to use a aluminiun plate which is totally reflective .
Ridgeway posted to say he bought one in Italy what was it made of ?
Yours June and dave ( Dotsontour)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I understand that the reflective aluminium article is a legal requirement in Italy However, I have used a plastic red and white striped one there. It has reflective red discs in each corner.

They are made by Fiamma (an Italian company) - plastic ones cost £6, the aluminium one is £32 - take your pick depending on how 'legal' you want to be. Available from John Cross (might get a bit of discount?)

Scroll down this page: http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Fiamma/Fiamma-Carry-Bike-Accessories/?sort=featured&page=2

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Red striped rear warning boards for overhanging loads sometimes called chevron boards. These back marker boards are now compulsory in Italy and Spain for all over-hanging items - even an empty rack! Easily attached to almost all motorhomes, caravans, 4x4s, vans, etc., with the four holes provided for elastic e.g. Do Note that there is a right and wrong way round to fit these; the stripes must point down towards the offside of the vehicle, i.e. to the centre of the road wherever you are. We have illustrated the UK fitting here but in Europe it should be fitted the other way - with the word Fiamma the right way up! Regulations state the signal must be the aluminium type if the vehicle is over 12m long but most motorcaravanners fit the plastic one to their motorhome or camper van
Must have round refletcor lenses fitted see pic
No difference for Italy or Spain
Geo

Attachments

• f_plastic_signal_b.gif
    f_plastic_signal_b.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 22

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Went through this yesterday at the camping shop, also looks like the red bars are thicker on the spanish one, sounds daft I know but we compared the 2 and they were different. The shop owner is a 40yr veteran with his motorhome and said that he has only ever used the Italian version all over Europe without problems so i went for that. The one I have is made of Alu but doesn't have corner reflectors.

It will make a good Frisbee when we're board...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Went through this yesterday at the camping shop, also looks like the red bars are thicker on the spanish one, sounds daft I know but we compared the 2 and they were different. The shop owner is a 40yr veteran with his motorhome and said that he has only ever used the Italian version all over Europe without problems so i went for that. The one I have is made of Alu but doesn't have corner reflectors.

It will make a good Frisbee when we're board...

The Alu one is the commercial/superior version and reflectors are not required as the whole surface red and white are reflective:thumb:
With the plastic version you often only get painted non reflective red and white stripes
Skim it my way::bigsmile:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The Alu one is the commercial/superior version and reflectors are not required as the whole surface red and white are reflective:thumb:
With the plastic version you often only get painted non reflective red and white stripes
Skim it my way::bigsmile:

Ah I get it now:Doh:

This Alu thingy could also be used as an effective weapon in the hands of Odd Job, bring down someone at 50m I'd reckon

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in Italy they have to be made of metal

You can buy elcheapo plastic types.. these are not legal in Italy.

I always put on on the back of my wheelchair carrier regardless if it is on the car, or on the car on the trailer if you follow me.. both in the UK and Europe... if you tow in europe there are different warning plates dependent on how long the vehicle and trailer are.

Do not forget the speed disc that needs to be on the vehicle in europe. (different countries have different regulations).

Bob

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

Do not forget the speed disc that needs to be on the vehicle in europe. (different countries have different regulations).

Bob

It's a complicated life isn't it.:Doh::Doh: With vehicles travelling all over europe and beyond with all those different regulations. How many sets of numbers do we need and how would those following know which numbers apply where?:whatthe::whatthe:

I have a picture of a van just covered in numbers:roflmto:.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are not far wrong

It's a complicated life isn't it.:Doh::Doh: With vehicles travelling all over europe and beyond with all those different regulations. How many sets of numbers do we need and how would those following know which numbers apply where?:whatthe::whatthe:

I have a picture of a van just covered in numbers:roflmto:.

You are not far wrong... if you look at a European lorry in the UK see how many roundels it has 70. 80. 90. 100 kph etc.,

In France as I pull a trailer and I am over 3.5 tons I cannot do more than 90 kph or about 55 mph... but you have different regs for below 3.5 tons and above... plus different sign boards dependent how long you are.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back