TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I'm not trying to be a smarta*s here, or start a row, I'm genuinely interested to know the answer to a question that's puzzling me.

On the way down to the southwest at the weekend we saw a lot of m/hs towing cars around the size of Fiestas, Corsas and so on.

My question is, what's the difference between using a biggish m/h to tow a car, and using a car to tow a biggish caravan? What's the thinking behind a decision one way or the other?

I guess what I'm puzzled by is, if the m/h is too big to use as everyday travel once esconced on a site, therefore necessitating a towed car, why not just pull a caravan with a car and save on an engine?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
IMHO if you are towing a car behind a MH then you have it a**e about face and should sort yourself out.
There are a few exceptions to this rule and that is to do with disability.
The able bodied people who tow cars behind motorhomes and who use the excuse that they don't like towing a caravan, should be 5th wheelers not motorhomers.

Pete:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I guess what I'm puzzled by is, if the m/h is too big to use as everyday travel once esconced on a site, therefore necessitating a towed car, why not just pull a caravan with a car and save on an engine?

A point I've made many times.

Silly to tax, insure and wear out two motor vehicles when one would do. Not only that, length for length much more comfort in a caravan. Caravans are amazingly cheap.

It's all down to travel pattern I think. Always on the move, wild camping the MH scores. A proper restful holiday or a winter in the sun, surely a caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends on where you are and what you're doing. I am guilty of towing a car but only in the UK and this is because the UK is generally a bad place for motorhoming. I do not take a car when in mainland Europe as then I can tour properly.
If I had the storage space I would get a trailer caravan for my travel in the UK, but with the extra storage charges it is (just) cheaper to run the Toad.

Towing a small car is a lot easier than towing a caravan though. You need a camera to even tell it's there.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
hit it on the head

IMHO if you are towing a car behind a MH then you have it a**e about face and should sort yourself out.
There are a few exceptions to this rule and that is to do with disability.
The able bodied people who tow cars behind motorhomes and who use the excuse that they don't like towing a caravan, should be 5th wheelers not motorhomers.

Pete:Cool:

Pete you hit it on the head... we tow a car on a 4 wheel Brian James trailer... why? so we can get about and off a site.. the car carries our two scooters and my wheelchair. Now there is no way that I can carry the scooters in the RV I have as it is 23'9" long ...see the red link blow for a picture.. let it load... I have been stuck on sites in the past or limited to a local area. A caravan is no good (been there) as it cannot take the loads I need to carry.

There are times I just use the RV and no trailer and a folded up wheelchair on a carrier on the tow ball.. so with a motor home and trailer I have the best of all worlds.

Plus I have not found a caravan that has the comfort and gear i get as standard in an RV.. like roof aircon, generator (4 kw) combo microwave.. domestic 26" tv and DV larger fridge and separate freezer than I have in the kitchen at home.. so for me it is simples as they say.

Bob:Blush:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This old chestnut again !:Doh:
If we want a 'caravan holiday' we tow the car, plant the motorhome on site and use the the car for visiting attractions in the area.
If we want a 'motorhome holiday' i.e. travel from spot to spot without any hassle, wild camp (as last week take the van on the beach, cook breakfast etc)
use aires, and enjoy the freedom of a motorhome, then we only use the motorhome. As you see two completely different types of break , something you can not do with a caravan set up.
And before anyone asks we use an A frame , and will do until someone decides it's against the law:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
A point I've made many times.

Silly to tax, insure and wear out two motor vehicles when one would do. Not only that, length for length much more comfort in a caravan. Caravans are amazingly cheap.

It's all down to travel pattern I think. Always on the move, wild camping the MH scores. A proper restful holiday or a winter in the sun, surely a caravan.

Totally agree have done both and as we tour now motorhome is best, but if we wanted a mainly static holiday caravan every time.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
who law is that?

This old chestnut again !:Doh:
If we want a 'caravan holiday' we tow the car, plant the motorhome on site and use the the car for visiting attractions in the area.
If we want a 'motorhome holiday' i.e. travel from spot to spot without any hassle, wild camp (as last week take the van on the beach, cook breakfast etc)
use aires, and enjoy the freedom of a motorhome, then we only use the motorhome. As you see two completely different types of break , something you can not do with a caravan set up.
And before anyone asks we use an A frame , and will do until someone decides it's against the law:thumb:

Who's law is that?:reel:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK we are totally new to the MH game but we have just moved from a tin tent to a MH and used the MH at the weekend for the first time. Our simple rule was that we need to be able to get off a pitch in under 30mins, in the tin tent it was at least 2hrs plus with the awning etc and this stopped us ever from moving on it was just too much effort, with the MH we plan to move every day, max 2days and in the stationary time we'll all be be 2 wheels once I've sorted out how to carry all the bikes.....

Was surprised to see though at the weekend that nearly all the MH's were set up for what looked like long stints although nearly all had scooters to get around on, no cars though.

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I take the MH to race events where I have no EHU etc, so solar for a few days in the middle of a Welsh field. I don't need any additional transport.

If we go on a site trip with the kids for a week or so, we will drag the car if we are away from civilisation, if we are close to a town we don't bother taking the car, I'll just take a bike or walk.

Having a 2 week old we take the car as a convenience in case we have to nip out for supplies if we are on a site.

We are doing a few more sites these days due to the kids but travelling any distance in a rammed car with the family is hideous compared to the MH.

Just nice to have options, I don't pay the insurance or fuel either, very lucky!!

Mar 12, 2012
Lincs, nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
OK we are totally new to the MH game but we have just moved from a tin tent to a MH and used the MH at the weekend for the first time. Our simple rule was that we need to be able to get off a pitch in under 30mins, in the tin tent it was at least 2hrs plus with the awning etc and this stopped us ever from moving on it was just too much effort, with the MH we plan to move every day, max 2days and in the stationary time we'll all be be 2 wheels once I've sorted out how to carry all the bikes.....

Same here, we don't collect our motorhome for another two weeks, but having been caravanners for ages, we too just want to have the ability to tour and move quickly. As you say, it takes a good two hours to move off a pitch with a caravan.

Will still consider towing a small car if we fancy a longer stay in the UK, but in Europe, it will just be the motorhome and bikes.

Hazel.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Pete you hit it on the head... we tow a car on a 4 wheel Brian James trailer... why? so we can get about and off a site.. the car carries our two scooters and my wheelchair. Now there is no way that I can carry the scooters in the RV I have as it is 23'9" long ...see the red link blow for a picture.. let it load... I have been stuck on sites in the past or limited to a local area. A caravan is no good (been there) as it cannot take the loads I need to carry.

There are times I just use the RV and no trailer and a folded up wheelchair on a carrier on the tow ball.. so with a motor home and trailer I have the best of all worlds.

Plus I have not found a caravan that has the comfort and gear i get as standard in an RV.. like roof aircon, generator (4 kw) combo microwave.. domestic 26" tv and DV larger fridge and separate freezer than I have in the kitchen at home..
so for me it is simples as they say.

You dont look very hard then Bob
Link Removed

although his claim isnt quite right in some respects because i have seen a Bailey with a small slide in the bedroom area although it was a one off and commissioned by its owner

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The only way forward

No competition, what you need is a tow car that is a motor home in its own right, a luxurious extremely economical high speed people carrier, something for the everyday school run, something with 4 adult beds and all the trimmings.
174bhp so it will tow any nice caravan. Absolute best of both worlds.
A real gem.:thumb:

Attachments

• VW_California_Europe_2.0_TDI.jpg
    VW_California_Europe_2.0_TDI.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 23

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I intend to tow a trike this year,but this is mostly for fun as well as visiting local places.

one dis-advantage of towing over tugging are site fees.
car and carvan ----- one pitch fee,
MH and toad ------- one pitch fee plus rxtra vehicle.

last time I look ed me old gitl plus trailer took up the same spaceas car and caravan on site:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You dont look very hard then Bob
Link Removed

although his claim isnt quite right in some respects because i have seen a Bailey with a small slide in the bedroom area although it was a one off and commissioned by its owner

Try parking that on an Aires :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mini artic is the way . lots room .smaller in length than most cars and caravans .one tax one insurance . carries 7 people . could have every thing bobs looking for . tow unit only the size of a car. i,m suprised more dont have them. the 5ers are getting close but only close .hee hee .
cant see it taking more than a few minutes to go . just put bits in cupboards etc . check door catches and away. easy to park ideal for wilding . must be i dont use campsites . ha ha .
cheap ferries . far cheaper than a motorhome. ask the 5ers they know .

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I too tow a toad; best move I ever made especially touring in the UK. This is not, as yet, a friendly place to motorhome; much to be learned from the French and Germans. To tow a caravan of the same quallity and safety I would need a hefty towcar with fuel consumption to match; all the time!

Motorhome avg. 25mpg and I do approx 5000 a year. The remainder I trundle around in a focus TDi; 50mpg plus. Toad, 50 mpg £150 to insure, £150 to tax. Is it worth it - personally I think so especially the way fuel is going.

As already stated not much need to take on the continent as provision for MH is so much better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Was surprised to see though at the weekend that nearly all the MH's were set up for what looked like long stints although nearly all had scooters to get around on, no cars though.

You have to compare like with like.. ie motorhome and caravan without awnings.

a caravan WITHOUT an awning only takes a few minutes to hitch up..

Stick a driveaway awning on a motorhome and you will take just as long to pack up .. and that's no fun when all you want to do is pop out for a drive or do some shopping.. that is easy with a car and why so many take toads..

I can park up overnight with my caravan and be up and away next day just as quickly and as easily as a motorhome.. ok, maybe 10 mins extra to pack the waste carrier and hitch up ... I've also used car parks for overnight stops... without unhitching.
I've watched motorhomers take four hours to pack up .. myself included, but what's the rush.. even if it takes all day ...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Watched some German tuggers break camp in the Dordogne after their 3 week stay, very entertaining. It took nearly two whole days. This is exceptional of course.::bigsmile:

Under normal circumstances I can be away in less than a minute. Open blinds if closed, swivel seats to face front, start engine. :thumb:
Another minute if the awning (roll out) is out and perhaps another 5 if the sun blockers are on the front and sides. The whole arrangement just needs four pegs after someones brilliant suggestion on this site of using shockcord (bungee) as previously had about 20 pegs to pull up.
Whether MH or tugger the important thing is always to have things in their place and keep them there when not in actual use. Either will take a long time to move if you have stuff all over the place that needs to be packed up.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now for real comfort and ease of setting up , pull in on site or side of road with sub 30ft RV, push buttons to extend slideouts for stacks of space , use either hook up, genny or batteries with solar panels , and on LPG economical comfort.
Ready to rough it in a minute or two.
Either bikes or toad on back depending on where touring and few restrictions eg no problem on aires and most sites :thumb::thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

I note from your other post about fixing child car seats on MH benches , and this one about carrying all the bikes , that you have a few kids .
5 at home . :Eeek:
( we have 3 that come with us 15.15.17. though)
Just remember the weight you are able to carry in your MH.
You may have to get a trailer for the bikes , to be within your limits. Once you get the kids you two and all the rest of the stuff in the MH.
Just a thought in case you weren't aware.

Your right about getting off the pitch a lot quicker than a caravan. We were on the Pateley Bridge show ground over the BH weekend.
Why do caravaners take so much tat and put it in their awnings ??
Ornaments , plastic flowers ,fairy lights , stuff to stick in the ground like "scarecrows" ?:ROFLMAO:

We have had 4 caravans and had packing up to a tee. Though we dont do tat and clutter:winky:
We watched loads of folk packing up in the rain on Monday afternoon.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I note from your other post about fixing child car seats on MH benches , and this one about carrying all the bikes , that you have a few kids .
5 at home . :Eeek:
( we have 3 that come with us 15.15.17. though)
Just remember the weight you are able to carry in your MH.
You may have to get a trailer for the bikes , to be within your limits. Once you get the kids you two and all the rest of the stuff in the MH.
Just a thought in case you weren't aware.

Your right about getting off the pitch a lot quicker than a caravan. We were on the Pateley Bridge show ground over the BH weekend.
Why do caravaners take so much tat and put it in their awnings ??
Ornaments , plastic flowers ,fairy lights , stuff to stick in the ground like "scarecrows" ?:ROFLMAO:

We have had 4 caravans and had packing up to a tee. Though we dont do tat and clutter:winky:
We watched loads of folk packing up in the rain on Monday afternoon.

There's something about awnings that does attract junk, we were victims of this and when i emptied that caravan some weeks back before we sold it I was shocked. All the equipment has been stripped back now and we removed about 40% of of it, maybe more. Have done a weight check of each item so that we know where we are with the payload although I'd still like to make a visit to the weigh bridge just to be sure. Yep 4 children and 1.5 dogs does amass some "stuff" that we need to take.

Bigger MH in 3yrs :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For touring, a caravan takes much longer with much more faffing about. We toured once with friends, us in a van them in a caravan we waited for them every morning and then put up with the constant pee stops (kids) and by they time they'd set up at night parking, water, waste, steadies leccy we'd have the evening meal for all of us almost cooked. But we weren't in a hurry, its only time, and if you have it.. well. Then when we stopped for longer their tow car came in very handy.

The new caravans coming on line that have water and waste onboard are making a persuasive argument for those that tend to stay in one place. Those that go South in expensive motorhomes and don't turn the wheels for 6 months while their asset is depreciating and the MOT running out should really consider a caravan.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not a car, but either a buggy ( Qpod ) or a bike on a trailer..
usually only when out of the country though and down to economics ...

Cheaper and easier to tow something than rent a vehicle ( I am talking about when we are away for several weeks at a time )

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Motorhome is a must if you got toddlers!
Our little uns hate being strapped in a health and saftey regulated straight jacket seat in a car for hours on end .:Eeek:
With a MH i can get on with the driving,sue can get on with sorting the kids out with their potty needs, food, games ect around the table. :thumb:
We don`t tow anything,we tend to walk /ride bikes and use the site we are on.
What`s the point of driving into overcrowded towns and car parks when we are in the country away from all that hassle :thumb:
We don`t need supplies ,we take it all with us.
I like it in the mornings when it`s time to move on to a different site, cable--doors--antenna- --GO-- whilst watching all the tuggers with awnings and water butts ect struggling to beat the 10.00 deadline :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Motorhome is a must if you got toddlers!
Our little uns hate being strapped in a health and saftey regulated straight jacket seat in a car for hours on end .:Eeek:
With a MH i can get on with the driving,sue can get on with sorting the kids out with their potty needs, food, games ect around the table. :thumb:
We don`t tow anything,we tend to walk /ride bikes and use the site we are on.
What`s the point of driving into overcrowded towns and car parks when we are in the country away from all that hassle :thumb:
We don`t need supplies ,we take it all with us.
I like it in the mornings when it`s time to move on to a different site, cable--doors--antenna- --GO-- whilst watching all the tuggers with awnings and water butts ect struggling to beat the 10.00 deadline :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We did notice a big difference on the weekend outing vs the caravan for the children, table = games, books and DRAWING and some of that on the paper as well....

The major difference we both thought was that with 10yrs tenting and 6yrs caravanning under our belt, with the MH the short 2 day trip seemed longer, we realized afterwards that for us the holiday started when we got in the MH for the journey there and only finished when we got home. With the tin tent it only started after the awning was up i.e. the journey for us is now part of the vacation:thumb:

I know we've only used our MH once but it was a very different holiday vs the caravan and this fits with us as we plan shorter but more frequent vacations due to home hobby commitments:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have already proved, if anyone cares to dig up the post, beyond reasonable doubt that driving a 7.5 ton RV with a toad is more economical than a 3.5 ton Ducato without one:winky::winky:

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Well thanks for all of that - I feel a little more enlightened.

My question wasn't really about whether we should be using caravans or motor homes - I guess the fact that we're on this forum might give us the answer to that, to some extent.

It was more about why use a toad, and there have been some pretty comprehensive explanations.

I guess the points that I can really understand are about the particular needs of people with disabilities, and the horrors of a car crammed with kids, dogs and so on.

And, of course, nobody needs to justify anything to anybody - I was just interested.

And if you were the pillock in the traffic on the M5 on Monday, with a big six-wheeler towing a four wheel trailer carrying a Fiesta, who was monstering everybody by chopping from lane to lane, and who started the thought process for me, well done - I'm sure everybody was impressed!! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back