Sterling alternator to battery Charger. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thinking of getting one of these, Is it a DIY fit or will I need to get it done somewhere professionally?

Obviously DIY, mean's reasonable understanding of following instructions. :Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
After 3 days of me trying to put up my awning without sucess and then you do it in 10 mins I think you should be capable of fitting this yourself.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the sterling battery to battery unit

I presume you are talking about taking power from the alternator to boost the domestic battery?

It may be worth a call to VanBitz .. they fitted my Sterling Pro-Combi Battery Pure Sin Wave Inverter...

If I am right the unit just goes on tot he engine battery and not the alternator at all.. it ten is connected to the domestic battery to send power to it.. it fools the alternator in to thinking the engine battery is not fully charged and keeps the power coming so it charges the domestic battery..

On our RV we have a 140 hr alternator and that kicks a lot of spare power across to the domestic side, but winnebago has a set up for this to happen as the norm rather than an add on kit.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I presume you are talking about taking power from the alternator to boost the domestic battery?

It may be worth a call to VanBitz .. they fitted my Sterling Pro-Combi Battery Pure Sin Wave Inverter...

If I am right the unit just goes on tot he engine battery and not the alternator at all.. it ten is connected to the domestic battery to send power to it.. it fools the alternator in to thinking the engine battery is not fully charged and keeps the power coming so it charges the domestic battery..

On our RV we have a 140 hr alternator and that kicks a lot of spare power across to the domestic side, but winnebago has a set up for this to happen as the norm rather than an add on kit.

Bob

sorry bob, If im right your not right :Eeek:
Think your referring to a Battery to Battery charger Link Removed

I on the other hand am referring to one of these
Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no link in your post Paul

sorry bob, If im right your not right :Eeek:
Think your referring to a Battery to Battery charger Link Removed

I on the other hand am referring to one of these
Link Removed

There was no link in your first post Paul... I presumed you were talking battery to battery.. but I have looked at your link for the alternator .. It is designed for boats if I am not wrong.. that would in the normal course of use run the main engine to charge the batteries as few would have a generator on board... but a great idea.

As said Winnebago already have a unit that diverts excess power to the domestic side and via my NASA I can see what that is after it has topped of the engine battery... but looks good.

Bob

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
an expensive voltage regulator,that fools your alternator into thinking your batteries are flat and will put out a higher current for longer:thumb:
but the inexpensive method i use on my 12 genny does the same thing:thumb:
and can be installed on any alternator:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
an expensive voltage regulator,that fools your alternator into thinking your batteries are flat and will put out a higher current for longer:thumb:
but the inexpensive method i use on my 12 genny does the same thing:thumb:
and can be installed on any alternator:thumb:

And, where will I pick this fine bit of kit up from Mr Green?

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
There was no link in your first post Paul... I presumed you were talking battery to battery.. but I have looked at your link for the alternator .. It is designed for boats if I am not wrong.. that would in the normal course of use run the main engine to charge the batteries as few would have a generator on board... but a great idea.

As said Winnebago already have a unit that diverts excess power to the domestic side and via my NASA I can see what that is after it has topped of the engine battery... but looks good.

Bob

Know your only helping Bob, but the key was in the title. :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking of getting one of these, Is it a DIY fit or will I need to get it done somewhere professionally?

Novel idea. If you never have hookup then it might help by boosting your batteries more than the alternator would. Otherwise it's probably solving a problem you do not have and in turn offering the joys of many new problems you've never dreamt of.

KISS.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
now i am looking at it, why is the battery to battery charger that bob describes any different?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The B2B will do essentially the same job Paul but is a lot easier to fit, have you looked at where your alternator is located?
speak to Mark (CLS) he fitted a B2B on his own motorhome at Chester and the air was blue on occasions:winky:.

D.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OK the last blog was over a year ago

Know your only helping Bob, but the key was in the title. :winky:

OK Paul.. transcribed the would alternator to Battery to Battery...

I also get extra power when the Sterling kicks in once I start the genny.. I can get the same sort of boost that the alternator to battery gives.. Sterling has been applying this kind of gismo to his other product ranges ... the Inverter he does (PRO-COMBI) as in the name Combi is not just an investor but a battery charger that can take power from a Genny or an EHU and can put one hell of a boost in when it needs to get the batteries back on line. Similar control panels in the link as is on the Combi units.

But as said KISS unless you really need that massive power why do it? boats can have many many batteries all over the hull and that is the advantage of that system. All of Sterlings bits and bobs come from the marine area and have been then applied to motor homes.

Bob... p.s Sterling products work well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
now i am looking at it, why is the battery to battery charger that bob describes any different?

I do hope their products are better than their proof readers, some alarming spelling/typos there.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think boat here. Where they don't have hook up.

This takes the 13V from the starter battery and boosts it to 14V+ to fully charge the leisure batteries. But if you regularly go on hook up your mains charger will do it for you.

Your first choice booths leisure AND engine battery.

Go buy yourself a new iPad instead, much more FUN.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I do hope their products are better than their proof readers, some alarming spelling/typos there.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think boat here. Where they don't have hook up.

This takes the 13V from the starter battery and boosts it to 14V+ to fully charge the leisure batteries. But if you regularly go on hook up your mains charger will do it for you.

Your first choice booths leisure AND engine battery.

Go buy yourself a new iPad instead, much more FUN.

Kettle, Black:RollEyes:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ok Brian.

I can not remember the last time I had hook up.
At present I use my genny after a few days to charge my batteries when down. At this point I am able to put in about 15amps from my genny. meaning running it practically all day will get my battery bank back up.

so option with the alternator to Battery charger from sterling would mean that I can get up to about 50amps by running the engine, so running the engine for an hour and coupled with my excellent solar panel will allow for recharging quickly.

Next is hair, not mine, but Nikki's and my excellent 1500w inverter. This will allow the use of the hairdryer for Nikki to dry her hair. Obviously caning the batteries but with running the engine at the same time, offering a balancing act. Next stage would/could be to run the van electrics via the inverter and meaning I could actually use the microwave whilst running the engine as well.

Another step would be to use actually good expensive batteries, this too would resolve some issues. As my research has led me to understand just how crap some of these batteries we are sold as leisure batteries really are.

One thing for sure though, is I know people who do it, nether get a generator out the van and cook a pork pie as well. :RollEyes:

However the great thing about a forum is a simple question get's met with Why on earth would you want to do that?

so again, simple, I rarely if ever have hook up, I motorhome in -20 degrees without hook up for 2 weeks., I have a women with hair, kids with laptops and a hairy dog to look after, my requirements are different.

Now I hope Im keeping it simple :winky: in my explanation. :thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
what haggers is thinking on fitting is a good piece of kit,it will allow the alternator to charge at upto 140 amps and monitor the chargeing and will charge a battery five times faster than the standard alternator and a whole lot faster than a genny or a 50amp charger:thumb:
designed for boosting alternator output on boats:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hairdrying

Hair drying is a perennial problem in a motorhome without hookup. The 12v hair dryers are pretty pathetic in output and tge mains one through an inverter uses a lot of battery power, however it's not as bad as it looks.
Yes the hairdrier will draw 100A from the batteries, but it doesn't take long to dry hair. Assuming that hair can be dried in 6 minutes with a standard hairdyer on full blast (1200w) then the power drawn from the batteries is just 10Ah (used 6 minutes as makes the arithmetic easy but pretty reasonable). This would be replaced in a couple of hours with a 100w solar panel in good sun, or in not much over half an hour with my four panels.
A microwave uses a similar amount of electricity but again is not used for hours on end, probably usually 15min or less.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Have you considered the output of the van's alternator, nominally 65 or 70 amps. Have seen Sterling products on narrowboats and both they and the alternator can get pretty warm :Cool: when boosting flat leisure batts.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hair drying is a perennial problem in a motorhome without hookup. The 12v hair dryers are pretty pathetic in output and tge mains one through an inverter uses a lot of battery power, however it's not as bad as it looks.
Yes the hairdrier will draw 100A from the batteries, but it doesn't take long to dry hair. Assuming that hair can be dried in 6 minutes with a standard hairdyer on full blast (1200w) then the power drawn from the batteries is just 10Ah (used 6 minutes as makes the arithmetic easy but pretty reasonable). This would be replaced in a couple of hours with a 100w solar panel in good sun, or in not much over half an hour with my four panels.
A microwave uses a similar amount of electricity but again is not used for hours on end, probably usually 15min or less.

But again, thank you for your help but your missing the point.

I have an 80w solar panel already and TBH, in my situation is overrated and useless.

If I camped in Spain like the rest of these people, fine, but we don't. The most I saw out of my solar panel was 2amps this weekend in Chester. Now bearing in mind that most of my time is spent camping in a British winter in the hills of Scotland, where sunlight becomes available between 9 and 4 that's 6 hours of solar charging. This in turn would equate (on this wkends figures) to 14 amps if I was very very lucky.
Now, again, for you who sits in the van wearing a big thick jumper reading a book, that might be fine. For me, who has, 2 laptops running, heating running (blown air high drain) a TV and various other charging going on, Im knacked before I even think about drying hair.
No amount of solar panels will solve my problem.

The only solving is a Alternator to Battery charger and decent batteries.

So can I please pretty please ask again.

Has any one fitted one of these them self? is it a DIY job? I have seen the fitting instructions and they appear quite simple.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Have you considered the output of the van's alternator, nominally 65 or 70 amps. Have seen Sterling products on narrowboats and both they and the alternator can get pretty warm :Cool: when boosting flat leisure batts.

Thank's ken, your right to consider that, My alternator is 140 amp I believe. :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted one on our previous narrowboat but that was in an engine room where the alternator and leisure batts were easy to get at. Also you need to consider distance between alternator, starter & leisure batts in terms of cabling. The Sterling comes with about a metre of tails if I recall.

Look at this thread for more in depth info :thumb:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/in...=+sterling +booster&fromsearch=1&#entry223669

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only solving is a Alternator to Battery charger and decent batteries.

So can I please pretty please ask again.

Of course you can ask again, we are here to serve.

As someone has pointed out, you might have only 70A from your alternator.

OK so find truck 200A alternator.

Oh dear, my belt drive can't cope.

If it looks simple it's only because you've taken a simple look at it.

Stage 1.

Discharge your batteries some then fire up the engine and log charging current.

Find out the maximum current from your alternator.

Now you can start to consider just what benefit this system might give you.

Stage 2.

Batteries. It's all very well stuffing massive amps into them but research battery life under those conditions.

You don't go away for that long and when you get home the mains charger can freshen up your batteries.

But you don't have to buy a new iPad, you could buy a new Android pad and experience the freedom to load any old tune or program without Apple's permission.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Buy the bigger Honda - one below for sale on MCC site about a month back

Brand new Honda 20i sin wave generator dual fuel Petrol / LPG.Paid £1300 in Nov 2011 will sell for £980 ono.Conects to barbacue point.Contact me on 07891679732

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Brian, My alternator is 140 amps.

The gumph says, "extends battery life"

Yes we are away that long, long enough to kill the batteries and need the genny running.
especially in winter.
New year meet 7 days,
Skiing 14 nights
Eden camp (good sunshine no problems)
Chester 5 nights

all the above required generator usage

The more you talk the more I want to buy to prove you wrong and then show you where you can get yours from.

so shall I ask the question again,,,, when am I coming over to yours to get it fitted
Ken
I have a genny and your option was for me to PX my honda for a 2-0 one. however, the 2-0 will not fit in my locker than I wanted it to go in. :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ok Brian.

I can not remember the last time I had hook up.
At present I use my genny after a few days to charge my batteries when down. At this point I am able to put in about 15amps from my genny. meaning running it practically all day will get my battery bank back up.

so option with the alternator to Battery charger from sterling would mean that I can get up to about 50amps by running the engine, so running the engine for an hour and coupled with my excellent solar panel will allow for recharging quickly.

Next is hair, not mine, but Nikki's and my excellent 1500w inverter. This will allow the use of the hairdryer for Nikki to dry her hair. Obviously caning the batteries but with running the engine at the same time, offering a balancing act. Next stage would/could be to run the van electrics via the inverter and meaning I could actually use the microwave whilst running the engine as well.

Another step would be to use actually good expensive batteries, this too would resolve some issues. As my research has led me to understand just how crap some of these batteries we are sold as leisure batteries really are.

One thing for sure though, is I know people who do it, nether get a generator out the van and cook a pork pie as well. :RollEyes:

However the great thing about a forum is a simple question get's met with Why on earth would you want to do that?

so again, simple, I rarely if ever have hook up, I motorhome in -20 degrees without hook up for 2 weeks., I have a women with hair, kids with laptops and a hairy dog to look after, my requirements are different.

Now I hope Im keeping it simple :winky: in my explanation. :thumb:

Hi Paul
My situation is exactly the same as yours and I'm also looking at one of these for the same reasons as you but am getting more confused as which to go for. Spoke to Charles Stirlinng last week who recommended B2B for my van and battery setup as the alternator to battery regulator could cause ECU problems. Let me know what you decide maybe we'll get a bit extra discount for 2.:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian,
The more you talk the more I want to buy to prove you wrong and then show you where you can get yours from.

Game On !

Yes we are away that long, long enough to kill the batteries and need the genny running.
especially in winter.
New year meet 7 days,
Skiing 14 nights
Chester 5 nights

Are you suggesting you run your smelly ( expensive ) diesel engine instead of a reasonable generator ? That's not very nice. Gennies are bad enough. How many revs to generate that 140A ?

140A 12V 1600W, not a massive ( theoretical ) improvement over a 1000W genny but a massive difference to your neighbours.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have seen my Sterling put in 40 amps

what haggers is thinking on fitting is a good piece of kit,it will allow the alternator to charge at upto 140 amps and monitor the chargeing and will charge a battery five times faster than the standard alternator and a whole lot faster than a genny or a 50amp charger:thumb:
designed for boosting alternator output on boats:thumb:

My Sterling Pro-Cobi Pure Sin Wave Inverter / charger has been seen to put in 40 amps when demand has required.

As I have said the Ford E350 super duty cab/chassis on my Winnibago has a 140 amp alternator that will kick power direct from the start up battery to the 2 domestic when it has had it's start up replenished to the engine battery. With a battery master that feeds back p to the engine from EHU or Genny I think I have the power covered. The item Paul is looking at as I have said is a marine item.. sure it would work on a motor home... his hard earned bucks so up to him how he does it. All roads lead to Rome.. some via Scotland and some direct.

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the environmental side of it

So if I run my 6.8ltr V10 petrol engine with a sterling alternator to battery charge system is that going to be more than running my 4 kw Onan genny via the Sterling Pro-Combi ?

Is the noise on the Onan mico quite worse than a V10 being held on high revs to kick out the 140 amps (remember already have the system that kicks excess power across to the battery bank....

It is a case of horses for courses.. I can hardly hear my genny inside or the cab engine for that matter.. but it is those around you that may not agree as Brian has said.

I am always mindful of A) the cost to my pocket and B) how it effects those parked beside me... I remember suffering an RV beside me that had his genny tail pipe pumping out exhaust for hour after hour .. a certain owner of a coachman:Blush::Blush::Blush: at least I use a venturi on my exhaust to take the fumes up and way over the RV.. so even I suffer others noise and fumes.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back