Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Ordinary domestic appliances such as TV, DVD, Microwave, Iron, Computer, etc, do they present a power problem when used in motorhomes? I appreciate that using all at once would :cry: Has any one advice on this?

Roge & Teri:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only restriction would be the 230v hookup output.

most uk sites have 16amp so no problem

many European sites have as low as 5amps.....no good for a microwave or possible a full sized iron or kettle.

tv, dvd, laptop etc will work fine on euro sites.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we had a sterling pro combi inverter fitted

We got over the issue by having a 1500 watt Sterling (british made for boats) pro combo pure wave inverter... it also charges the batteries 2 x 100amps ..

We use a normal 230 26" tv in our RV and a low watt kettle, DVD etc., laptops the works.. we have a factory installed combo oven which is 1700 watt start up ... we run the 4 kw chassis generator when we want to use the micro wave or the air conditioner (main roof)...

In the UK we can just use the EHU and use the micro wave as normal.. the roof air con we do not run at the same time.

In Europe Sue has to often make the walk to get the power tree reset (if we cannot do it ourselves).. we have found 16 amps in France but normally it is 5 amps and extra for 10 amps.. so you have to think about what is going on and when. But the Sterling investor is a great bit of kit.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ordinary domestic appliances such as TV, DVD, Microwave, Iron, Computer, etc, do they present a power problem when used in motorhomes? Roge & Teri:Doh:

The big problem is the user, you at least are asking the question, some just assume life goes on as normal.

TV, DVD, Computer these low loads are doable under battery.

Microwave, hair dryers, electric kettles, these high loads are not viable under battery power but maybe when on hook up provided the hook up rating is enough.

All you need to know is amps times volts equals watts.

So if you are told you have a 6A hook up, 6 x 230 = 1380 watts. Anything up to 1380 watts will run. There is a but, your on board battery charger may be taking 240 watts as well.

If you have the luxury of a 16A connection 230 x 16 = 3680 watts. So kettle OR microwave are fine.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We got over the issue by having a 1500 watt Sterling (british made for boats) pro combo pure wave inverter... it also charges the batteries 2 x 100amps.
Bob

No really.

1500 / 12 = 125 amps.

So your pair of batteries will last half an hour or so. You did not get over the problem you postponed it for half an hour.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We do run the genny at the same time

No really.

1500 / 12 = 125 amps.

So your pair of batteries will last half an hour or so. You did not get over the problem you postponed it for half an hour.

Brian we tend to run the genny to feed to the batteries ..while the Sterling is capable of converting 17 watts from the two batteries we would never take them down below half power.. so we tend to run the 4 kw genny and create a continuous feed of power... it just happens that VanBitz fitted the Sterling between the genny and the batteries .. but we could run the main item sif we wanted to. But we go to EHU where it is possible.. even on a 10 amp site we tend to run the genny when we put the microwave on as it has a high kick in power drain. But for the less demanding things like the laptop I can run it via the pure sin wave with no issues.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. been camping and motor homing just about all my life . i still cant see the need for lots of leccy goods . gas cooker does every thing for cooking . .
yes i use a 240v fridge . never used to but find in the hot desert of maroc gas fridges stopped working .
at first panels were cheap in maroc so i started with 3 x80 watyt to power the 240fridge .
the other year staying in spain and portugal found the dark winter weeks i had to switch the inverter off in the middle of the night. found some cheap panels on ebay and added another 3x80 .bingo . works fine .
never found the need for microwaves hairdryers etc .have gas heating, gas for hot water in shower. gas lights . perfect. now i use a 240v washing machine and sometimes for laptop.
do carry genny for emergencies .,like welding grinding never been used to charge batteries . i do have a 24v battery to 12v battery charger for on the move . a durite .really good and cheap.
i understand some need ehu for big chargers specially wheel chair stuff .
but other than a bbq cook inside on gas .
i possibly wouldnt have got the panels if the gas fridge hadnt keep playing up in hot climates . as i have power i do use more . vicious circle really.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Would solar panels and some sunshine help?
yes for using (sparingly) your 12v equipment, but not for running mains voltage items inverters to convert voltage are a massive drain on batteries.
by the way a quick sum for power consumption on 240v hookup is assume 4amps per kilowatt simples:thumb: IE. kettle 2500w (2.5kw) =10 amp

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
yes for using (sparingly) your 12v equipment, but not for running mains voltage items inverters to convert voltage are a massive drain on batteries.
by the way a quick sum for power consumption on 240v hookup is assume 4amps per kilowatt simples:thumb: IE. kettle 2500w (2.5kw) =10 amp

You know I think I don't even start to understand what I will need to Know!

Thanks for your help

Roge

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sure do

i understand some need ehu for big chargers specially wheel chair stuff .

The 2 disabled scooters (both 24v) with 2 x 70amps (making one lot of 24v) and the other 30amps .. have to be charged at shows and on sites... we tend to have to use the generator mainly for that purpose these days.. while it is charging the scooters the Sterling is also topping of the domestic batteries and the engine at the same time.

Most of our cooking is via a cobb unit, even when that is on we boil water using a gilly kettle so noting is wasted... have considered buying a 2 kw genny as that is as big as I really need.. but do not have storage space.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back