Honda EU10i or EU20i Generator (2 Viewers)

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
Does anyone use either of the above generators or simular?
Do you get the smell of petrol in the garage of your motorhome?
Can you run a modern lcd tv without any problems of power fluctuation?
We plan to wild camp 2 out of every 3 nights throughout England through the summer and France and Spain after September.
As we will have our 11 year old son with us we would like to be able to run our 230V sky box, Xbox 360, lcd tv and laptops.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a chassis generator

We have a 4 kw chassis generator on our RV and we use a Sterling Pure sin wave inverter rather than a modified sin wave.

I think the two ltr version of the Honda is ok with computers.. Bill Landy Lover has one and I have patched my scooter in to his genny and that gets very upset if there is not pure wave.. but I am sure some one can advise... I think last year at Lincoln Gary & Barb run there karaoke off one as well....

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
both the Honda's are pure sinewave inverter types so should be ok with electronics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just buy a bigger battery bank a good pure sine inverter and some solar panels and a 12volt tv
as if wild camping and you have to make a quick getaway the last thing you want is to go outside and get the genny in.
and although they are quiet they are noisier than batteries and solar panels.
and this would work out probably cheaper than a honda too.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Peter, we have just gone from a Honda EU20i Generator down to a Honda EU10i , the EU20i Is a great bit of kit, ::bigsmile: and could not fault it. :thumb:

But we found we only really needed it for charging batteries, :winky: when our solar panel starts screaming like this weekend in north Norfolk, or running our spin dryer and that's only 450 watts so changed to the EU10i man enough for what we need and only 11kg. :thumb:

But you cant go far wrong with a Honda. :roflmto:

We started with a Kipor and it had enough after 18 months. :winky::ROFLMAO:

Work out how much power you intend to use, but remember the harder they work the more noise they make. :whatthe: Bob.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I was also concerned at having to carry spare petrol onboard and the fumes so we went for the EU10i with lpg conversion which runs of our normal gas supply...
...a bit more expensive but more convenient and no petrol:thumb:

Brian

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Peter, we have just gone from a Honda EU20i Generator down to a Honda EU10i , the EU20i Is a great bit of kit, ::bigsmile: and could not fault it. :thumb:

But we found we only really needed it for charging batteries, :winky: when our solar panel starts screaming like this weekend in north Norfolk, or running our spin dryer and that's only 450 watts so changed to the EU10i man enough for what we need and only 11kg. :thumb:

But you cant go far wrong with a Honda. :roflmto:

We started with a Kipor and it had enough after 18 months. :winky::ROFLMAO:

Work out how much power you intend to use, but remember the harder they work the more noise they make. :whatthe: Bob.

Hi Bob,
Yes the weather has been pretty bad here the last few days and does not look any better this week.
Did you keep the Honda in the garage and did you get any petrol smell?
We had planned to try the motorhome out this week on the Norfolk coast but has not looked warm enough

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi
We plan to wild camp 2 out of every 3 nights throughout England through the summer and France and Spain after September.
As we will have our 11 year old son with us we would like to be able to run our 230V sky box, Xbox 360, lcd tv and laptops.

I run a Honda EU10i and keep it in the garage under the fixed bed. No smell of petrol from the generator itself - I run it out of petrol before I pack it away and store it in a zip-up bag. But have noticed smell of petrol from time to time from the carry can I use to refuel it. Ended up moving it to a side locker.

Don't bother with TV so can't comment on that one.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, yes keep it in the garage, run it for a couple of minutes with the air cock on the fuel cap closed and no problem.::bigsmile: Bob.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
I was also concerned at having to carry spare petrol onboard and the fumes so we went for the EU10i with lpg conversion which runs of our normal gas supply...
...a bit more expensive but more convenient and no petrol:thumb:

Brian

We have 2 11kg gaslow bottles fitted but we do not have an outside barbeque point. How would you connect the honda up to the Gaslow bottle?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never had any petrol smells in our kontiki.

genny and plastic fuel can in a side locker accessible from inside under settee.

at one point i had a 20ltr gerry can in the drivers door footwell and had no smell from that either.

the only time you'll get fuel smell is if you re-fuel just before storing away.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

1/ Yes we have a Honda 10i 1kw....and a 2kw Kipor...and a plastic type petrol can in the garage and no smell with any of them.
2/ Yes.... I can not see it being a problem as both are pure sine wave genies and both say ok to run computers, but most of the time if not all of the time you will be charging/topping up your batteries going through your van charging system either using the 12v or 230v.

Mel

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have 2 11kg gaslow bottles fitted but we do not have an outside barbeque point. How would you connect the honda up to the Gaslow bottle?

I'm not sure about the Gaslow system as we have an underslung tank and a pair of Calor cylinders if necessary together with an outside gas point.

I'm sure Gaslow would have the required accessories for you to connect up or an outside bbq gas point is quite simple to have fitted.

Brian

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have a Honda 2 iEU as Bob said - we don't have any issues with smells - it is capable of running anything you would run off normal mains without any problems - as said the more power it needs to produce the noisier it is which is part of the reason we went for the 2.0i EU as when it is pushing 1kw it is only just above ticking over - if it were the 1.0i EU it would be at full revs - with the 5'er it is capable of running the Microwave or the Aircon if required at full power but that and that alone - at tick over it will charge the batteries run the TV charge the lappy - dry the towels and most people don't know it is actually running.

Fuel - we always use Metal army style jerry cans as they totally seal up with no smells - once the genny is switched off and the air vent in the cap closed there is no fuel smell at all

One other point no one has mentioned - if you have a ( rare ) problem with a Honda genny then you can reasonably expect to find a stockist in most major towns - many of the other makes spares will be by mail order possibly taking days to arrive

One other point gennies have been known to grow legs so if you do invest then also suggest you invest in a good strong motorcycle security cable to make sure it stays with you.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Im with the better batteries ( trojan ) and solar panel way of thinking like aba.:thumb:

We have 3 teenagers , a TV , ipads , pods , laptops , phones and all the other gadgetry that goes with them and never use the genny. We have diesel heating too , which is a strain when starting , on them, and they cope perfectly. With the set up.
4 days this weekend without even going for a drive , no probs.
In fact Izzie used the genny for the 1st time in well over a year over this bank holiday at Patley Bridge show ground , to dry her hair using the hair dryer.
Genny lovely and quiet , unlike some of the monsters vibrating around the field.
But the hair dryer got a thumbs down compared to the one at home. So i doubt she will use it again.::bigsmile:
Less weight in the garage :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I run a Honda EU10i and keep it in the garage under the fixed bed. No smell of petrol from the generator itself - I run it out of petrol before I pack it away and store it in a zip-up bag. But have noticed smell of petrol from time to time from the carry can I use to refuel it. Ended up moving it to a side locker.

Don't bother with TV so can't comment on that one.

Totally agree with Maz. I also run the 1 litre. Only smell I get is from the fuel can whick I now keep in a side locker.
:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a Honda eu10 and think it's great. Never get any petrol smells and never have, If you want to carry spare fuel get a decent Jerry can.

If any one wants' to swop a Eu20 for my eu10 with cash adjustment, I would be happy to do so.

please pm me.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
bought a Honda EU20i today

Thankyou for everybodies comments.
I have just bought a EU20i today. It was advertised on Ebay and it was only 8 miles away. It is nearly 2 years old but is as new and has only been used 2 times on a boat and still has the original petrol in it that was put in on the first day of purchase. A bargain at £840.
Thankyou
What a wonderful site this is for help

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
always worth giving it a quick service. Edge Technology offer a service kit. they are based up the road from me and very helpful.

If you can't lift it, feel free to take up my offer of a swop for the lighter eu10 :roflmto::roflmto:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thankyou for everybodies comments.
I have just bought a EU20i today. It was advertised on Ebay and it was only 8 miles away. It is nearly 2 years old but is as new and has only been used 2 times on a boat and still has the original petrol in it that was put in on the first day of purchase. A bargain at £840.
Thankyou
What a wonderful site this is for help

Hope you chucked the 2 year old petrol out, otherwise you will be needing repairs very soon:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back