Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Going to buy one today, want large battery time main thing.

Where best place to buy.

Comet/PC world and so on....

Advice needed

Spend up to £300:cry::cry:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I looked at them in PCWorld and then ordered from Amazon. Same price but no sales people pushing for add ons.:RollEyes:

This one is an Acer 11 inch 4gb Ram, 500Gb HD. I just had to get rid of the supplied Mcaffe anti virus and install Microsoft Security Essentials for free.:thumb:

Mike

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Amazon.

I got one from them, it was faulty on arrival. They sent a replacement within an hour of me receiving the first one and took the faulty one back. No cost to myself. I was seriously impressed with their service.

The little Asus netbook is fantastic.. I get a full days work out of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've had an Acer Aspire Netbook for 2 years from Curry's. PC World is now the same company which I didn't know till I took it in for a tune up. On paying a monthly insurance of 3.99 it's covered for most things and can have a free tune up every year. I am quite pleased with it and with the service . I also got cheap M'soft Office and Norton 360, each with 3 licences. Battery lasts about 6 hours. Do you need more?

Catherine

jubilado

Free Member
Oct 26, 2010
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
On and off
Another vote for Asus - after extensive research opted for a Eee PC netbook mainly for it's battery life. Bought from amazon sub £250. Have been very pleased with my purchase

Ken

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have an Asus Transformer TF101 android tablet and have just bought another one with the detachable keyboard for 300 quid off Amazon, 2nd hand but in mint condition. Mrs is having the new tab and I've got the keyboard on my original tab. Tab alone has aprox 8 hours battery life but with the keyboard its extended to up to 16 hours. I now have the best of both worlds, I can type on a proper keyboard instead of the on screen version or I can use it as a touch screen tablet. Fantastic bit of kit and I'nm using it now on Chester racecourse on WiFi to my Android HTC phone using that as a mobile WiFi hotspot.

Keyboard adds two USB2 sockets, SD card reader and extra battery.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have an Asus Transformer TF101 android tablet D.

Brilliant well made piece of kit.

If only they had fitted a big hard drive ( for backing up the camera and other mass storage ) I'd not need to carry a windows PC as well. I've not got the keyboard, can you plug in a USB hard drive and power it off the pad ?

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Should I buy this?

Link Removed

Is something missing like the battery or something else at that price?

I know I need a keyboard but that wont brake the bank.

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
looks like a keyboard adds another £92 to your price.

Link Removed

That takes you up to a laptop price

Kevin

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Whatever you do dont buy from Comet, I bought a small acer from them, battery failed at eight months and their attitude, tough 'up yours' dont want to know.

Buy from your local independant PC shop, ok you may pay a bit more but you willl have a far better chance of getting service if you have problems. I buy all of mine locally now.

Peter

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did use to recommend small local shops but there is very little margin in the computer world now so service tends to suffer unfortunately.

I use Amazon and Dabs now exclusively for my tech stuff as their service is second to none.

I love the Transformer. But please be aware these run Android not windows so if you need any windows software it's not an option.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Should I buy this?

Link Removed

Is something missing like the battery or something else at that price?

I know I need a keyboard but that wont brake the bank.

That's the older model. The new one has a Tegra 3. This has 5 cores. 1 for normal day to day stuff and the other 4 high power ones only kick in when needed. supposed to give better performance and better battery life. It also has a better display and overall improvements...

If cost is the primary issue then the one you linked to is good value, if you can afford the new model then that would be better :)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've yet to try it but I believe it does suport a USB hard drive, will try it out when we get back home.

John, I'd keep an eye on Amazon if I were you. I got a second user but in mint condition tablet and keyboard for 305 quid delivered.

Yes you are getting into laptop price bracket but I've yet to see a 400 quid laptop that will run for up to 16 hours on one charge plus as this is Android it doesn't have any of Microsoft's BS built in. Apps are readily available, many of them free. I have Photoshop Express on here which was a free download and for basic image editing its brilliant, I was showing Gaz43 yesterday and he seemed impressed.

D.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I can only speak from our experience - Shirl wanted a netbook for a bit of surfing and a place to keep her reciepes - we went to PC world and got her an Emachines netbook - and a cheap cd drive total came to about £200 about a year ago and it has performed perfectly - battery life about 8 or 9 hours depending on type of usage - very good wifi - 2 usb. She finds it is absolutely perfect for her needs. I have used it quite happily in the past for surfing and the forums etc.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
plus as this is Android it doesn't have any of Microsoft's BS built in.
D.

I thought that once, not so sure now.

Android is pretty locked down compared to MS. Unless you are a really skilled hacker the operating system is what they say you can have. Have you tried getting rid of the shedload of crap apps that come with it, you can't.

I'm sure Android is reporting back to Google all Google wants to know about you and unlike MS, because it's locked down you can't blot out parts of the web you don't want to visit ( the ad-tracking of Google etc ).

I'm using it and I think the format really works a treat, but..... !

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having been back home from Chester for a couple of hours and recharged our tablets I've just plugged in a 30 GB portable HDD and it works perfectly, even playing an AVI video file off the HDD and it responds a damn sight faster than my Windows XP Athlon X2 PC with 2GB of ram!

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back