Free Member
Apr 7, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My wife and I are looking at buying our first motorhome. With only £8,000 (max) to spend we are looking at 20 year old C-class vehicles. The most common ones we are finding with the layout we want have tend to be based on either the Renault Trafic or the Talbot/Fiat Ducato. Many/most of these have petrol engines.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a petrol engine as opposed to a diesel in this age of vehicle?

Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Diesel will give better mpg and be more robust, with a 20 year old an, its the habitation area that you need to worry about.................. DAMP and ROT

Peter

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Diesel will give better mpg and be more robust, with a 20 year old an, its the habitation area that you need to worry about.................. DAMP and ROT

Peter

Totally agree van more important than engine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you could not come in to the London LEZ

If you go for a diesel of that age you would not be permitted to enter the London LEZ... that is almost all inside the M25 round London.

As stated the vehicles condition is the first consideration.

Have you considered an American RV..? most of that age were built with the very strong V8 engine .. will go on for ever and ever.... OK before someone jumps in they drink fuel.. a 30' RV will return about 10 mpg..... modern petrol V10's like mine (see the red link below and let it load) return about 15 mpg... but that is fuel injected. Older yanks had carbs (easier to work on)..... the American or RV will give you a lot for your money.. many things standard on a yank 20 years ago only in recent years appeared on European motor homes... even 25 years back I had a full size fridge and a separate freezer stacked on top and a microwave, plus a generator built in to the chassis.

Worth looking on ebay .. search under American RV motorhomes .. worth a look just to see what is about.

Americans suffer the same issues as europeans for that age... Whatever you get good luck, and welcome to MHF

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb:

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
Hi Michael,
The petrol engine is far quieter than a diesel especially the older versions. Consider what mileage you think you might do and if it is low then consider a petrol. Generally a petrol version is much cheaper compared to a similar priced diesel van and are more difficult to sell as a result so make a very low bid to start - you can always go up (do the same at a dealers as well). Of course the size is also a consideration since a diesel will usually be better able to take the hills. If a large motorhome try to ensure you get one with a turbo although some of the Merc older non-turbo vans can be nippy enough. Expect little more than 20-30 mpg on older diesels and 15-25 for petrol versions, again it is very size dependent, not to mention speed.
When you look over a likely buy remember what the others have said check the habitation. At the very least press the walls for soft spots and don't forget the lockers. Any soft spots and it is probably best to walk away. If you arrange a time to visit ask them to have the cooker and fridge working and water on board to test the pump and taps - it's not so long back we has some really cold weather and it is possible the water system wasn't properly drained. If you buy an older motorhome from a dealer try to insist on a months parts and labour at the very least. You are unlikely to get much of a warranty because of the age of the vehicle.
There's no doubt damp is likely to be the biggest problem so I would emphasise you must make sure and check for damp spots and don't just look for wet patches as it rarely reveals itself like that. Press the walls!
Regards and enjoy the van.
Scrapjack :Smile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We did the same as you. Bought an older petrol ducato...........we got a good deal, then wasted about £3000 trying to rectify all the faults.
We now have a much better van, but in hindsight, our first foray should probably been a yank. If you look at your expected mileage, where you want to go, what spec you would like......its doubtfull you will fill your expectations with a euro motorhome.
Having been there, lost money and started again...my humble advice would be.........buy a yank.......buy off a funster.......or use your "pot" as a deposit and top up with finance buying from a dealer.......it will save you thousands in the long run.....good luck,:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no dont believe him. get a 5er or even better a mini artic .
dont know why darklord hasnt got a nice 4x4 truck then he could play off road with it .hee hee we do.
you pays your money and takes a chance . we need more info to give better advice .
but truck is the way.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Do not believe him

no dont believe him. get a 5er or even better a mini artic .
dont know why darklord hasnt got a nice 4x4 truck then he could play off road with it .hee hee we do.
you pays your money and takes a chance . we need more info to give better advice .
but truck is the way.

He is a rogue...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: would I buy a second hand truck from him????::bigsmile: no... (only joking)

Yes a fiver is a possible way forward.. might be hard to get a rig for the money you want to spend...but you do get a lot for your money.. much like a yank.. well should do as 99% are made for the USA market .. except people like Calders that make UK ones... but they are a bit more expensive and you do need a truck to haul it with. But do consider all the options..

Took me nearly 2 year to find my present RV.. did so much research and looked at a lot of second hand rubbish as well.. at dealers I am sorry to say... over priced and very poorly represented... Plus they never seemed to know anything about the item they were selling, or they were just selling it on commission..even worse... took second place to there own stock and was just left to winter with no heating.. boy you could smell the damp when the door was opened.. just given excuses.. but if you look at enough Petrol and diesel you will soon know when you see the dream.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on now bob i dont sell trucks . i build them but dont sell. there as been and still is some cheap ones on ebay lately .
someone as to lead the way . been 12 yrs now and its growing . 5er alive is going tio happen. ha ha .
min d you could buy a nice vw . i have had several of them and do happen to know a thing or two about them.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Does it do 100 mpg like Buttons

come on now bob i dont sell trucks . i build them but dont sell. there as been and still is some cheap ones on ebay lately .
someone as to lead the way . been 12 yrs now and its growing . 5er alive is going tio happen. ha ha .
min d you could buy a nice vw . i have had several of them and do happen to know a thing or two about them.

Alan, do these VW's do 100 mpg like Button's one? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no not the later ones . best are the aircooled 1600cc single port engined ones .
i do like the thought of the new old style 1400cc engined ones but would have to convert it myself .couldnt pay their price.
there were early ones with 18oo cc passat engines fitted from brazil, and we used to also do an engine adaptor to do this that was good .1800cc passat pb engine code with a super chip. did about 120 and returned about 30mpg. if driven sensibly . dont know how to do that thougfh.
i ceratinly dont like t4 or t5,s too long a vehicle for the interiour space. and front wheel drive ,not for me .
do think of getting a t2 though and restoring it . still have lots of nice bits for them. ought to use them or sell them. mind trikes keep coming back in my head aS WELL. HEE HEE MIGHT GROW UP ONE DAY.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Milage matters

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a petrol engine as opposed to a diesel in this age of vehicle?

Thanks

As with a car I would never buy one with a high milage petrol engine. Diesels are normally built so they last for longer given proper servicing. If you find a low milage petrol unit and the habitation is in good nick and you aren't intending to travel excessive milage then it may be worth a punt. Any way up it will be a compromise and accept that you will be very lucky indeed if you the layout you get in your first van is really the best for you.

Good luck:thumb::thumb:

ps get yourself along to Peterborough show at the end of the month and talk to motorhomers. Lots of funsters will be there and only a few bite.:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Day visitors cannot get to the camping area

As with a car I would never buy one with a high milage petrol engine. Diesels are normally built so they last for longer given proper servicing. If you find a low milage petrol unit and the habitation is in good nick and you aren't intending to travel excessive milage then it may be worth a punt. Any way up it will be a compromise and accept that you will be very lucky indeed if you the layout you get in your first van is really the best for you.

Good luck:thumb::thumb:

ps get yourself along to Peterborough show at the end of the month and talk to motorhomers. Lots of funsters will be there and only a few bite.:ROFLMAO:

Day visitors cannot get past the security to the camping fields.... So if you do come look for MHF members wearing the smiling face badges.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back